SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2003, 05:59 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane
I knew you'd say that Waisons. Christians always try to figure out how anything in the bible can be good, even a story about two girls who were sluts, one was beheaded, the other was raped, mutilated and gangbanged.... and yet somehow, you guys see this as a history story. Riiiiigggghhhhttt.

So maybe Jesus wasn't real and just represents.....

- Rob
I knew you'd say that Rob. This was actually a pre-Christian story. It was aimed at the Jewish nation, by Jewish prophets. It's actually their take on the story.

It's interesting how the Bible, as opposed to all other religious writings of antiquity, doesn't try to hide the fact that 'God's chosen people' are corrupt to the bone. Sort of a 'Warts and all' description. In many other writings (Greek/Asian lore in particular), the gods were more corrupt than the people!
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 07-02-2003, 06:09 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Subafreak
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by wasions

'Mein Kampf'

I have.

Thank you. I figured the answer might be in there. Anyway like you said, Killing in the name of God. As long as God told you to do it , it's ok.

Personally if I have to kill someone it will be becouse I want to not becouse God told me to. I only listen to the voices in MY head that come from the little person inside me, he's my freind, he likes cheese. All thoes religious killers are just wierd freaks.
He likes cheese?

'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 07-02-2003, 08:48 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Quote:

He likes cheese?

Must be Swiss cheese.

It's holey.

Bada-boom.

Ron (The devil made me do it).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 07-03-2003, 01:29 AM

Registered SVX
Forget about religions, all of them. Think, THNK on this if you require a god.

God is Good/Goodness, in every aspect and every sense and no more and no less.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 07-03-2003, 03:24 AM
SVXdriver_007

I grew up in a place called the "Christ Home" it was much like an orphanange except i saw my dad every other weekend. any way inthe CHRIST home my sister was severly beaten because she was a bed wetter as a result of having downs syndrome. I and my brother were beaten on several occasions with belts, kite rods, wooden spoons, and whatever else they thought was ideal. My favorite memory is when i was thrwon head first into a radiator and then locked in a closet at the age of five because i was scared of the imaginary person in the closet. (this could be a good thing as I never dod worry about the man in the closet or the monster under the bed ever again)....All this while having the bible force fed too me and learning from these people about how wonderful and loving Jesus is. If somone has a problem with people abusing christianity they need to start there. Movies are movies, they are fake, it doesn't matter.

Of course I'm not saying this is what you can expect from all Christians but man there is alot of them out there so your bound to get some bad ones.
P.S. Jesse ventura should never have apologized for saying that to many people used organized religion as a crutch...he was right
Old 07-03-2003, 07:00 AM
SVX Black Belt Master

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXdriver_007
I grew up in a place called the "Christ Home" it was much like an orphanange except i saw my dad every other weekend. any way inthe CHRIST home my sister was severly beaten because she was a bed wetter as a result of having downs syndrome. I and my brother were beaten on several occasions with belts, kite rods, wooden spoons, and whatever else they thought was ideal. My favorite memory is when i was thrwon head first into a radiator and then locked in a closet at the age of five because i was scared of the imaginary person in the closet. (this could be a good thing as I never dod worry about the man in the closet or the monster under the bed ever again)....All this while having the bible force fed too me and learning from these people about how wonderful and loving Jesus is. If somone has a problem with people abusing christianity they need to start there. Movies are movies, they are fake, it doesn't matter.

Of course I'm not saying this is what you can expect from all Christians but man there is alot of them out there so your bound to get some bad ones.
P.S. Jesse ventura should never have apologized for saying that to many people used organized religion as a crutch...he was right
Sadly, this type of behavior by professing Christians is all too prevalent. Some just don't get it.

A Christian, like anybody else, will eventually let you down. We are held to a higher standard, and rightly so, but so many just use the Name to inflate their own ego.

I always say, "Don't follow me. I may lead you astray. Follow Christ."
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 07-03-2003, 12:21 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
That's my new favorite quote.
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 07-03-2003, 09:06 PM
SVXdriver_007

Quote:

Sadly, this type of behavior by professing Christians is all too prevalent. Some just don't get it.

A Christian, like anybody else, will eventually let you down. We are held to a higher standard, and rightly so, but so many just use the Name to inflate their own ego.

I always say, "Don't follow me. I may lead you astray. Follow Christ."
you know I'm sorry I think that came off as an attack at your thread and it wasn't supposed to be. My problem with Christianity is that like anything that big it becomes an institution I often think that the heads of my church are more concerned with my money and building an add on to the church than they are with my spiritual needs. I don't like the fact that the bible says no one goes to heaven unless they believe in Jesus Christ as the mesiah (clearly not a direct quote). I think that he Bible like many historical documnets is subject to inaccuracies for one reason or another. I think that myself or any other human can't possibly fathom the goings on of the creator of everything.

I'll say this if you are a good person I don't believe its because you are a Christain I think its because you choose to be a good person.
Old 07-03-2003, 09:26 PM
Green1995SVX

Quote:

I'll say this if you are a good person I don't believe its because you are a Christain I think its because you choose to be a good person.
I agree with that 100%.

Mike
Old 07-03-2003, 10:38 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

Quote:

you know I'm sorry I think that came off as an attack at your thread and it wasn't supposed to be. My problem with Christianity is that like anything that big it becomes an institution I often think that the heads of my church are more concerned with my money and building an add on to the church than they are with my spiritual needs. I don't like the fact that the bible says no one goes to heaven unless they believe in Jesus Christ as the mesiah (clearly not a direct quote). I think that he Bible like many historical documnets is subject to inaccuracies for one reason or another. I think that myself or any other human can't possibly fathom the goings on of the creator of everything.

I'd like to comment on each statement in turn:

No problemo. It's the internet. We can't see faces, hear voice inflections, etc. I try not to assume the worst.

When I was young, I took 'Confirmation' classes. I neither understood what was being taught, or cared, or got the impression that the teachers did either (although in retrospect, they weren't being paid or anything, so they must have felt that what they were doing was at least a little significant). As I grew up, I wondered why my parents had anything to do with this money-grubbing organization. Like most of the other folks in the church, my parents were different people on Sunday's than during the rest of the week (especially Saturday nights.) Believe it or not, I don't disrespect them for that. After all - the greatest percentage of church-going people are just like that. I suppose in many ways, I am too. I have come to see though, that the fellowship and cameraderie that the church provides, hypocritical in itself sometimes, is still helpful for keeping us more or less accountable for our actions. That is; if I wasn't there on Sunday's (and some Wednesday evenings) I'd probably succumb to a lot more temptation to make wrong choices than I already do.

With very few exceptions, the other religions also claim that their way is 'the only way'. After extensive research (before coming to Christianity, I was into Eastern philosophies, etc.), I'm convinced that Christ was much more than a great teacher. He was indeed, God incarnate. He not only made that claim, He backed it up by paying the penalty (the cross) for our collective errors, and by returning from the dead (and being seen by over five hundred people after His ressurrection) proving that He had the power to do what he claimed. If He says that all I have to do is accept what He says, and then I can share in His inheritance, well that doesn't sound like such a bad (or hard) thing.

As for the Bible, just a little study will show you that it's without doubt, the most complete and accurate book of antiquity. We even now have the Dead Sea Scrolls to back up that claim.

So can I fathom the goings on of the creator of everything? Heavens, no. Who could? Can I trust Him to know His business? Goodness, yes!

Heh. I didn't intend for this to be a thesis, sorry.
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 07-03-2003, 10:48 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

(I know what you're thinking.)

My last post was 'over the edge'. This is an SVX enthusiast site and will be regarded as such (now that I got all that off my chest ). Mea culpa.
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 07-04-2003, 01:35 AM
SVXdriver_007

Quote:
(I know what you're thinking.)

My last post was 'over the edge'. This is an SVX enthusiast site and will be regarded as such (now that I got all that off my chest ). Mea culpa.

nope I don't think that at all,
Old 07-04-2003, 02:54 AM
SVXdriver_007

Quote:

I'd like to comment on each statement in turn:

No problemo. It's the internet. We can't see faces, hear voice inflections, etc. I try not to assume the worst.

When I was young, I took 'Confirmation' classes. I neither understood what was being taught, or cared, or got the impression that the teachers did either (although in retrospect, they weren't being paid or anything, so they must have felt that what they were doing was at least a little significant). As I grew up, I wondered why my parents had anything to do with this money-grubbing organization. Like most of the other folks in the church, my parents were different people on Sunday's than during the rest of the week (especially Saturday nights.) Believe it or not, I don't disrespect them for that. After all - the greatest percentage of church-going people are just like that. I suppose in many ways, I am too. I have come to see though, that the fellowship and cameraderie that the church provides, hypocritical in itself sometimes, is still helpful for keeping us more or less accountable for our actions. That is; if I wasn't there on Sunday's (and some Wednesday evenings) I'd probably succumb to a lot more temptation to make wrong choices than I already do.

With very few exceptions, the other religions also claim that their way is 'the only way'. After extensive research (before coming to Christianity, I was into Eastern philosophies, etc.), I'm convinced that Christ was much more than a great teacher. He was indeed, God incarnate. He not only made that claim, He backed it up by paying the penalty (the cross) for our collective errors, and by returning from the dead (and being seen by over five hundred people after His ressurrection) proving that He had the power to do what he claimed. If He says that all I have to do is accept what He says, and then I can share in His inheritance, well that doesn't sound like such a bad (or hard) thing.

As for the Bible, just a little study will show you that it's without doubt, the most complete and accurate book of antiquity. We even now have the Dead Sea Scrolls to back up that claim.

So can I fathom the goings on of the creator of everything? Heavens, no. Who could? Can I trust Him to know His business? Goodness, yes!

Heh. I didn't intend for this to be a thesis, sorry.

Its good that we can discuss this while respecting each other

I see your point on church I undedrstand it, I attend not regularly but as regular as working 4 days on 4 days off 12 hour shifts and doing the reserves one weekend a month allow me to, My child goes to Sunday school, however I constantly feel like something is missing well maybe I need another church

The thing about the Bible is this and this falls into the Fathoming God is that it was written by men, subject to interpretation and then is again reinterpeted by whomever reads it. Id say that is the point I'm making on inaccuracies, I mean Look at Beowulf, and not just the English poem I mean the original recordings. there has been several copies of it found traced back before the "story" We call it myth but the story covered three contenants and was believed to be more that just a "story" does that mean the devil grendel existed? or is it simply that people were looking for a way to explain things they did not understand?

As far as Jesus giving his life for our sins..this may come across as blasphemous so I'm sorry but its simply a point of discussion. If I am the son of god and I can make wine out of water, walk on water, heal the sick, have the power of my father at my hands God incarnate as you said and I make the sacrafice of my life knowing that in 3 days I will be resurected and return to my position of power so to speak.....am I really sacraficing? Maybe all i lost was a mortal body. I stumbled across that in a book once, I was quite floored by the concept. Furthermore that No one goes to the father without acknowledging this sacrafice and taking jesus christ as their savior. Does this that in fact mean that every Jew who died in the holocaust is now in hell but the christians responsible for their death are now in Heavan? what about all the people that died prior to the A.D. , are they grandfathered? See the one problem with faith is that it means bleieving that only our way is right and that means that no matter what type of person you are if you don't accept my belief and take it as your own, well then you are damned. It sounds ugly when put that way but in reallity that is what it means. No way arround its not Burger King.

I guess were both talking quite a bit and if were going outside the realms of the SVX site but hey it is the off topic forum if were getting out of control we can always just go to email or PM.

Shane
Old 07-04-2003, 08:43 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Acts 10:35

"He who does what is good and just, is acceptable to the lord"

Or something along those lines. I've always tried to live by that (but often failed miserably). I also feel that religion often becomes a business and the business comes before the purpose.

As I type this, the pastor of the church across the street in pulling up in his new Lexus.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 07-04-2003, 08:57 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
what gives???

I don't get it. While I appreciate the concern of our moderators to head off problems that come up, I find that they are being extremely over-sensitive and are looking so hard to stop problems that they are seeing problems that don't exist.

Where are all these "endless threads" on religion and Neons? I see only one religious thread and it is not really religious or evangelizing. It's just a comment on how Steve feels that Christians are portrayed poorly by Hollywood. Rob makes one thread on the Neon (only one mind you since this forum started, and he left it at that...just the one) and suddenly that is all we see in this forum? Where??? The very definition of this forum is "Post topics not relating to SVX's. For example, discussions about other cars, racing, or pretty much anything that doesn't fit into another forum.". I see no words saying "except neons, politics, or religion". I think Rob's been great about not evangelizing the Neon these days. He made one thread since the forum started. Mike made a thread on the Cavalier and I don't see anyone complaining about that. I thought that was what this forum was for...other cars. Last I noticed the Neon was not an SVX and neither was the Cavalier.

I really think that anyone who had any input in this thread that expressed concern over this new forum being a bad idea should take a step outside this thread, take a deep breath, hold it for a few seconds, let it out slowly, and look around at the bigger picture. I see no problem and am frankly sick and tired of listening to people frett and wring their hands over trouble that doesn't exist.

Why don't we wait until there is an outburst of "Convert to my religion or go to Hell!" or "The next person who thinks car X is a P.O.S. dies!" threads to really exist before we start acting like they exist. Give it a rest folks, please. The only people who seem to not be enjoying this forum are the very people who are most worried about people not enjoying this forum. Anyone else see something wrong with this picture?

You cannot please all of the people all of the time. Can I get an "Amen, Brother!"?

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.