SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2003, 09:39 AM
I'm just sayin'..........

Question black antenna wires?

Greetings!!

I have a question. I finally found a stock svx stero with cd player but the black wires were cut when the previous owner removed it from his car. Are these the antenna wires?

Should they be spliced with the ones already in my car or should i try to replace them? Can they even be replaced?

The stock stero was taken out by the previous owner of my car the the cd player currently in there has issues. Either way, the stock wires were spliced, but all of the harnesses are still in place. What should I do?

'95 Laguna Blue Pearl SVX L AWD
'18 Kia Stinger GT Twin Turbo - Sunset Yellow
Old 01-04-2003, 05:10 PM

By black wire I'm assuming you mean a pretty thick wire, not like the normal electrical wires. If yes, then you either have to run all new wire (major effort), or splice the coax cable to a new end.

Here's my version of how to do it cheap:

1. Cut one end (the part you don't need) from a male-to female 24" cable extender (Radio Shack had them, also found at Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.).

2. Split and peel back the outer covers about 1/2" inch, then carefully peel back the outer shield wire (do this to both ends to be spliced). Cut about 1/4" of the inner inner insulation off, leaving about 1/4" of bare conductor sticking out on each end.

3. Splice the two conductors together by solder (preferred), or by stuffing the 1/4" exposed ends into the opposing side's insulation - make sure the conductors are touching.

4. Tape to secure (maybe use heat shrink if you are clever) the inner insulation. Then spread the outer shield wire (you peeled back previously) over the joint from both sides as best you can and wrap this with a small section of aluminum foil. Wrap the whole splice securely with electrical tape. I like to put on a cover of duct tape, but then again I think duct tape puts the final fix on most jobs.

I have been told there are crimp/screw-on connectors but I've not seen one and don't know where to get them (maybe Radio Shack again, never looked). With a crimp-on, you just crimp on the new end and use it as if the wire had never been cut (may still need an extender if too much was cut).

Last edited by lee; 01-04-2003 at 05:13 PM.