IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2003, 09:53 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
Oil Recommendations?

Hey all,

It's time to tune up my Road Warrior (named my SVX finally ). My brother's recommending that I buy Mobil 1 synthetic 10W30. I would have to buy a whole case since the svx takes 6.5 quarts I believe, and that seems to run around $30. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good brand of oil that has a decent price? Any suggestions are appreciated
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 01-04-2003, 10:01 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I was using Mobil 1 and changing it every 3K. Now I am just using Vavoline. I think the key is to change it every 3K.
Old 01-04-2003, 10:29 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
I guess oil is oil as long as you change it and use synthetic. I also need to change the oil and air filter. Is there also a transmission filter too?

And how many people in NJ have an SVX? I've only seen 1 other one in central jersey that my boss owns.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 01-04-2003, 11:13 AM

On a 92, with the factory external filter installed, there are two transmission filters - the external (look under the battery - lines from transmission to cooler) and the internal screen filter.

IMHO oil is not just oil. It's the type of base-stock and additive packages that make a difference. Rating from best to worst in performance (there are other issues but you didn't ask about that).

There are the group IV/V full synthetics. Made from blending PAO and esters respectively, and initially developed for jet turbines. Mobil 1, Redline, Amsoil, Royal Purple to name a few. Mobil 1 is the only "big name" vendor, AMSOIL for example buys their base-stock from Mobil then adds their own unique additive package. Mobil 1 is good all-around, Redline & Royal Purple are better suited to high RPM operations, Amsoil adds a lot of additive to make extended drains possible (they claim 25K but that's only with a bypass filter added to the full flow that comes stock). in my area prices range from $4 to $8 a quart.

There are group III full synthetics made from hydro-cracking Group I & II base-stocks (Castrol, Shell, Penzoil, most all full synthetics on the shelf in the average store - except Mobil 1). Oil purists usually refuse to call these full synthetics and some years ago Mobil sued Castrol to stop the use of the phrase, but the world court turned them down. about $4 a quart.

There are synthetic blends (which to my knowledge are all Group II and III mixes - including Mobil's new blend - maybe they went to the "dark side" after losing the legal battle with Castrol - actually I think it's a marketing game). Normally about $3 a quart.

There's Group II, regular dino oil you normally find between $1 & $2 in the US.

Finally there's Group I, but I don't think anybody sells that anymore for car use. This is straight mineral oil

Again IMHO, using group II, 3K mile changes are good, moving to Group IV/V you can normally double the miles between changes (but at about 3X cost). Group III is nearly the same price as Group IV/V, but using my mileage scale is probably only good for maybe 4K miles.

So, if you're a 3K mile oil changer I would stick with a good Group II oil that has some moly in it for cold-start/wear protection and just about any filter. Mobil Drive Clean, Penzoil, Castrol GTX are three that come to mind.

If you believe in Group IV/V synthetics (I do, but...) then I would push out to 6k miles per change, but use a good filter: K&N, Mobil 1, Bosch, even Wally World's Super-Tech isn't bad.

one last time, i'm not a oil chemist or a tribologist, these are just opinions, and you know what they say about that

Last edited by lee; 01-04-2003 at 11:15 AM.