SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-17-2012, 09:22 AM

Seat Belt Retraction Problem-Driver's Side

San Diego, California
Monday, December 17, 2012

Hello, everyone.

I am "computer challenged." Although this is my 3rd posting, I could NOT remember how to post, so I sent an email to John Hoffman, who is the chairman of the annual Reading event. After receiving his response, I am preparing this "New Thread."

I am the owner of a 1992 SVX. I purchased this SVX from the original owner in May 2007 in western Pennsylvania. I used my SVX in the eastern part of the USA from May 2007 until July 2012, when I brought the car home to San Diego, California.

The seat belt warning dash light (red) has been flashing for several years. I was told by the SVX guru not to concern myself, as I could not drive my car (too far) to his shop in West Virginia.

Now when the driver's door is opened, the seat belt moves forward. When the door is closed, the seat belt does not move rearward, either with or without the seat belt attached to the black plastic device located inside the track.

Naturally, besides having this legal and safety problem resolved, I would like to have the system cleared regarding the flashing seat belt (red) light on the dash. By doing so, I would know that everything would be functioning 100%.

I have all of the Subaru Service Manuals. John has sent me the pdf for this problem, which is described in sevice manual 4 & 5. Tomorrow I am planning to visit a friend who is also retired and is extremely tech savvy. He has never seen a Subaru SVX.

Is there anyone living in the San Diego area who is the owner of a Subaru SVX and is also tech savvy that would be willing to look at this problem? To my knowledge, there are less than one dozen SVX's in the greater San Diego area.

I would prefer that someone call me or send me an email (see below) rather than respond through our SVX World Network. Please include your name and telephone numbers.

Your cooperation is most appreciated. Many thanks for everything.

Howard
Howard G. Singer
858-454-2628
619-980-4586
email: hgslajolla@gmail.com

MY NEW EMAIL

1992 Subaru SVX Pearlie
Old 12-17-2012, 10:16 AM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
Re: Seat Belt Retraction Problem-Driver's Side

I solved my problem by manually using the seatbelts with the rear window control switches. Click the "how to documents", electric, seatbelt solution.

Subaru SVX for fun
Hyundai Veracruz for the wife.
Susuki SX4 for my older son
Ford Ranger for work
Mercedes Benz Sprinter for vacation trips,
EZ GO Golf cart for driving kids around gated community.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannmarr View Post
I solved my problem by manually using the seatbelts with the rear window control switches. Click the "how to documents", electric, seatbelt solution.
Howard,

That would be HERE

Not sure if it would get rid of the flashing light though.

/

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 12-17-2012, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Howard forgot to mention the following symptom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinakid View Post

The seat belt warning dash light (red) has been flashing for several years. I was told by the SVX guru not to concern myself, as I could not drive my car (too far) to his shop in West Virginia.

Now when the driver's door is opened, the seat belt moves forward. When the door is closed, the seat belt does not move rearward, either with or without the seat belt attached to the black plastic device located inside the track.

When the driver's door is open or closed, there is a rather loud clunking noise that appears to be coming from somewhere in the trunk. The service manual mentions the seat belt control unit, located under the rear panel in the trunk.

The passenger side shoulder belt system works perfectly

I would like to have the system cleared regarding the flashing seat belt (red) light on the dash. By doing so, I would know that everything would be functioning 100%.

I have all of the Subaru Service Manuals. John has sent me the pdf for this problem, which is described in service manual 4 & 5. Tomorrow I am planning to visit a friend who is also retired and is extremely tech savvy.

I sent him the instructions for the seat belt diagnosis, using the wires behind the kick panel and counting the flashes of the seat belt warning light, to try to narrow down the problem

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 12-18-2012, 08:06 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

My belt occasionally does not retract. It seems to have something to do with the ignition switch. If I insert the key tip just enough to make contact and jiggle it the belt retracts. Wondering if I should spray some contact cleaner in there.
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:25 PM

I performed the self-diagnosis as outlined in the FSM, putting the blue wire into the terminal 8 of the black diagnostic connector behind the driver's kick panel, and counting the flashes of the seat belt warning light tp give me a code.

It gave me one long and three short flashes repeatedly. According to the FSM, the code 13 is the driver's side front limit switch remains ON.

I looked up the part number and it gave me 64225PA820-Front Limit Switch, selling for $179.00

In FSM Section 5-3, page 44, The contents of the diagnosis point to a
  • Faulty front limit switch
  • Faulty Harness or
  • Inoperative motor

The trouble symptoms should be:
  • Timer activates when anchor reaches front end.
  • Anchor stops midway on rail.
The shoulder belt does not move, and I can hear the motor behind the back side panel making noise, like it is trying to move. Can anyone give me a little more information as to what the problem could be? I am clueless as to where to begin.

If it is the front limit switch, does anyone have the part that I might purchase? My dealer said this part number has been discontinued. My appreciation for any assistance and guidance you can provide.

Also, are there any members in the San Diego/ La Jolla area or in the vicinity? I would like to make contact with someone out here. I am sort of clueless since I brought the car came out to California and away from svxfiles maintenance.

Thanks again for everything,
Howard

MY NEW EMAIL

1992 Subaru SVX Pearlie
Old 12-19-2012, 07:29 PM

I performed the self-diagnosis as outlined in the FSM, putting the blue wire into the terminal 8 of the black diagnostic connector behind the driver's kick panel, and counting the flashes of the seat belt warning light tp give me a code.

It gave me one long and three short flashes repeatedly. According to the FSM, the code 13 is the driver's side front limit switch remains ON.

I looked up the part number and it gave me 64225PA820-Front Limit Switch, selling for $179.00

In FSM Section 5-3, page 44, The contents of the diagnosis point to a
  • Faulty front limit switch
  • Faulty Harness or
  • Inoperative motor

The trouble symptoms should be:
  • Timer activates when anchor reaches front end.
  • Anchor stops midway on rail.

The shoulder belt does not move at all, and I can hear the motor behind the back side panel making noise, like it is trying to move. Can anyone give me a little more information as to what the problem could be? I am clueless as to where to begin.

If it is the front limit switch, does anyone have the part that I might purchase? My dealer said this part number has been discontinued. My appreciation for any assistance and guidance you can provide.

Also, are there any members in the San Diego/ La Jolla area or in the vicinity? I would like to make contact with someone out here. I am sort of clueless since I brought the car came out to California and away from svxfiles maintenance.

Thanks again for everything,
Howard

MY NEW EMAIL

1992 Subaru SVX Pearlie

Last edited by catalinakid; 12-19-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:19 AM

Hello. Everyone.

Does anyone in the greater San Diego, California own a Subaru SVX, preferably a year model 1993 or 1994, which contains the automatic seat belt retractors.

Many thanks,
Howard
Howard G. Singer
858-454-2628
619-980-4586

MY NEW EMAIL

1992 Subaru SVX Pearlie
Old 12-20-2012, 10:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Forgive me if I'm being too obvious, but why not just replace the entire seatbelt unit with a good used one?
2001 Audi S8
Old 12-21-2012, 10:23 AM

Registered SVX

Because it could be that the only problem is the seat belt computer in the trunk. Mine would go forward, but not back. Did the window switch thing for a little while. Then I switched out the seat belt computer and fixed it correctly.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:52 PM

I started this project with a tech-saavy friend of mine, by removing the inside rear panel below the rear side window. Behind it is the shoulder belt motor motor assembly and connectors

It appears as though a mouse or rat got inside the rear quarter panel during winter storage (2010-2011) when the SVX was stored inside a damp garage outside of Pittsburgh. Two wires, (black & green) were bare with a considerable amount of frayed wire was evident.

After adding additional wire to the frayed portions, soldering, adding heat shrink tubing, and manually pushing and straightening the curled cable inside the motor, all is functioning properly.

I want to thank everyone here who posted advice and suggestions. John Hoffman gave me a lot of direction over the phone, using the FSM and sites like the SVX Information Warehouse. There is so much to learn as these cars age. I once again feel much safer in the SVX, knowing the restraint system if functioning properly.

All the best,

Howard
Howard G. Singer
858-454-2628
619-980-4586
email: hgslajolla@gmail.com

MY NEW EMAIL

1992 Subaru SVX Pearlie
Old 04-01-2013, 10:22 PM

Registered SVX

Can the system simply be disengaged in the rear position? My motor keep running in the trunk after the car is off, killing the battery.
89 Yamaha FZR600