How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-15-2013, 02:55 PM

Registered SVX
engine assembly questions

So a few months back I picked up a very dirty project car (green 92) with a seized engine. I decided to splurge and got the engine rebuilt so now I've got a very pretty long block and I'm putting it back together. The fun part? I've never done this before.

I've got the factory service manual (92 and 96 updates) and parts books, and can follow directions just fine. But have run across some things that either confuse me or are outside the scope of the manual. So I'm hoping a few of you can help out with some dumb or not so dumb questions as I find them.

Question 1:
I have 2 throttle bodies and while cleaning them up noticed a tiny difference between them. They both have lines on top that have a P or R label that goes into each tube right where the throttle flaps are. On one TB the holes are just barely before the flaps, while the other TB has the holes just barely after the flaps.

Does this matter? Or is one of them correct?

Question 2:
I've got to replace the under dash heater core and probably the evaporator due to a critter nest. The car was converted from R12 to R134 at some point according to a sticker under the hood. I've got spare parts from another 92 but I don't know how to tell what coolant the spare evaporator uses. Both cases have the same part numbers (73060PA031).

Again, does it matter?

I'll try to add pictures later as my phone is annoying for posting.

96 Polo Green - Daily Driver
92 Teal Green - Restoration in progress
Old 03-15-2013, 03:17 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: engine assembly questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash_Bandit View Post
So a few months back I picked up a very dirty project car (green 92) with a seized engine. I decided to splurge and got the engine rebuilt so now I've got a very pretty long block and I'm putting it back together. The fun part? I've never done this before.

I've got the factory service manual (92 and 96 updates) and parts books, and can follow directions just fine. But have run across some things that either confuse me or are outside the scope of the manual. So I'm hoping a few of you can help out with some dumb or not so dumb questions as I find them.

Question 1:
I have 2 throttle bodies and while cleaning them up noticed a tiny difference between them. They both have lines on top that have a P or R label that goes into each tube right where the throttle flaps are. On one TB the holes are just barely before the flaps, while the other TB has the holes just barely after the flaps.

Does this matter? Or is one of them correct?

Question 2:
I've got to replace the under dash heater core and probably the evaporator due to a critter nest. The car was converted from R12 to R134 at some point according to a sticker under the hood. I've got spare parts from another 92 but I don't know how to tell what coolant the spare evaporator uses. Both cases have the same part numbers (73060PA031).

Again, does it matter?

I'll try to add pictures later as my phone is annoying for posting.
1: I am unaware of any difference, but it probably doesn't matter. Which TB is from which year? I know the ports you're talking about, they're for the EGR and purge control system, so they're not really that important.

2: The r12 A/C seem to do just fine with r134, I don't think there are any real differences. If they have the same part number, then they're the same. You can use the spare and r132. The conversion to r132 is just changing to a different type of seals, and maybe a fitting, I'm not sure. No actual functioning parts are changed.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 03-15-2013, 03:45 PM

Registered SVX

Both throttle bodies are from 92's.

And thank you for the info.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:39 PM

You will need to change the compressor oil if you change from R12 to R132. The oil used with R12 systems is not compatible with R132. If you do not change the oil the compressor will seize. Also flush the lines and evaporator.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:12 AM

Registered SVX

Thank you guys for the info.
Here are the pictures anyways.
Engine.jpg

Throttles.jpg

Bare engine.jpg

Old 03-17-2013, 01:02 PM

Registered SVX

I have a 134a evap from a old 94 parts car if you want it it's yours I even have the hard lines I think
#1 1994 Ls ebony parts car-rip
#2 1994 L laguna blue - sold
#3 1992 Lsi pearl white - sold
#4 1992 Lsi pearl white -Ate two engines - Rip
#5 1994 L Laguna Blue fwd - Now Awd and manual - 03 wrx 5mt - 18's stern warp st4s - totaled hit a tree
#6 1992 Lsi custom orange parts car
#7 1992 Lsi green 4.44 swap. Currently for sale
#8 1992 Lsi custom pearl white. Project car... sold
#9 1992 Teal 4.44 swapped... sold
#10 1995 Laguna Blue. Sti 19 wheels,
#11 1994 Laguna Blue. Came with #10 engine and trans are out but plan to put it back on the road. Willing to sell it at any time! 😂
Old 03-17-2013, 03:24 PM

Registered SVX

Is one of the engines from california by any chance? Do either of the engines they came off of have an EGR temp sensor at the back, right (passenger) side of the intake manifold? I don't think it would have any noticeable effect which TB you use.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 03-17-2013, 11:51 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Is one of the engines from california by any chance? Do either of the engines they came off of have an EGR temp sensor at the back, right (passenger) side of the intake manifold? I don't think it would have any noticeable effect which TB you use.
One is a local, CA, car. The other is missing the temp sensor and harness plug. That confused me before I found some earlier discussion about EGR's.

For the time being, I am treating the throttle body situation as a coincidence and non issue.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:56 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiguy View Post
I have a 134a evap from a old 94 parts car if you want it it's yours I even have the hard lines I think
Much appreciated, but I've verified that I've got the part I need already. I'll be in town the next few days so maybe we can see if there's anything else we might trade for.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:33 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash_Bandit View Post
One is a local, CA, car. The other is missing the temp sensor and harness plug. That confused me before I found some earlier discussion about EGR's.

For the time being, I am treating the throttle body situation as a coincidence and non issue.
If the car you're swapping into is a non-CA car, then use the non-CA parts, and vice-versa. The CA cars had some differences in 92, one being the EGR temp sensor, and another apparently being that port on the TBs. You want the CA ECU to go with the CA engine parts and vice-versa.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:41 PM

Registered SVX

Yup, that is my plan of attack. The car I'm working on is a CA car so I'm making sure everything I took out of it (unless its broken) goes back in. Just clean this time.