Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-08-2013, 08:59 PM

Smile New engine mount problems

Just looking to get feedback on some issues going on after having OEM engine mounts put in today. I have had this car for 16 years and never had new mounts put in until now. The engine now moves considerably when the gas is applied. When I first drove the car home I could feel a lot of vibration in the gas foot pedal and the shifter. I took it back and after lifting the car up and inspection he said the new mounts probably made the engine sit back further in position. There is a bracket above the transmission with a bolt going thru a circular hole and it was not centered. He then knocked the bolt forward to get it more centered. After initially driving the car again the vibration seemed substantially less however after driving it a few miles there is something really wrong. When I turn the engine on I can hear the engine idling a lot louder inside the car and the noise I hear when driving is very metalic and grinding sounding. Sorry for the generalities. I got this job done for half the price of what my normal mechanic charges and went for it. I will take it to my normal shop next. Any ideas or suggestions appreciated in advance. I have another car to drive in the meantime. Thanks.

Mike
Old 03-09-2013, 02:50 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: New engine mount problems

Firmer (new) engine mounts should transfer more NVH into the car.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 03-09-2013, 04:25 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

Are the bolts tourqed right?
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 03-09-2013, 04:48 PM

Thanks for the replies. I had to NVH. Got it. Don't know if they were torqued right or not. A certified Subaru mechanic put them in. I don't know about where you guys are from but Subaru mechanics around here hate working on the SVX. I thought this would be a fairly straightforward swap out but something is really wrong based on the knocking and grinding noises I am having. I read some things searching on this subject and the mounts are supposed to help with engine noise heard inside the car. With the new ones in its louder. It will be sitting until midweek when I can have another mechanic analyse it. Thankfully I have another car to drive.

Mike
Old 03-09-2013, 08:19 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

I mounts that went in, are they the same liquid filled mounts as the originals, or solid rubber mounts.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:35 PM

I ordered OEM from a Subaru dealership. Hanson in Washington state. Definitely rubber there not sure if they are oil filled. The engine is moving a lot more now with the new in just revving the engine in park. The engine was more stable with the old worn out ones in.

Mike
Old 03-18-2013, 03:41 AM

I took my car to another mechanic and he was able to find what was going on. He didn't go into much detail but somehow the exhaust pipe had to be moved some to stop the noise and vibration. No more issues with this. I had these polyurethane bushings put in about six months ago and they sure squeak a lot. I would put in OEM rubber if I had to do it again. I will try spraying with a lubricant. Always something.

Mike