How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-10-2013, 08:03 AM

No 2nd gear?

Good morning all,

I bought my '92 Claret under the premise that the only transmission problem was either a bad TCU or solenoid because it was stuck in limp mode (3rd gear & reverse only). The guy I bought it from had already pulled the ECU and TCU to get the numbers off of them, so I went ahead and checked them out. Sure enough, the TCU's circuits were fried. I ordered a new TCU and installed it yesterday morning; now it seems like the car has no 2nd gear at all.

If I shift it in D, the car doesn't want to move at all (Icingdeath88 has already suggested this is a TPS adjustment issue), but when I shift into 1 with the manual mode active, it takes off just fine. Shift to second and it's like I shifted up to Neutral; there is no grab at all. Shift to 3 & D and the car moves along fine. I should also mention that the Power light is not flashing

Another test I did was at a standstill with foot on the brake, going from Park to Reverse, you get that drop in RPM and slight nudge from the transmission shifting like normal, and the same thing happens in 1st. Going to 2nd is like going into Neutral or Park, like there's nothing there at all.

All the above said, my mind is thinking that rather than a burned up clutch pack or band, there's a valve sticking somewhere that's preventing 2nd from engaging at all. Anyone have any insight on this? I know my way around an engine pretty well, but I'm totally lost when it comes to an automatic trans.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:35 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Re: No 2nd gear?

Hello,

I believe what you are describing is "no start with select lever in "d" "3" or "2" range. What do the rpms do when you put it "d" "3" or "2" and press the gas to try to move?

Excluding putting the select lever into gear immediately after starting the car how long is the delay between putting the shift lever into a gear and feeling the "nudge and drop in rpm?"

I'm afraid it's sounding like you have a burned out reverse clutch or forward clutch depending on your answers to my questions. There is still some possibility it is a broken valve body.

The good news is very good, at least. I see you are in Virginia; svxfiles is in west virginia. He runs an SVX shop. Since he is so extremely knowledgeable and versed with the SVX he is able to replace transmissions in a fraction of the time a service manual indicates which is what most shops charge by. His labor rates are also low. I can feel confident in recomending him to you. He could potentially swap in a different valve body for you before replacing your transmission. If I were you I would hand the car over to him for service. www.svxfiles.com
Old 03-11-2013, 04:29 PM

When I put the shifter in D, the RPMs get around 4K before the car starts to move, and it moves slowly.
In 3, with the manual button pressed, it takes off very slowly - pretty much like it does in limp mode.
In 2, with the manual button pressed, it will jump to the redline and will not move at all - just like if the car was in neutral.
The shift "nudge" isn't very long at all, no longer than any other automatic car I've driven... that is, when it does actually nudge.

Unfortunately I live in Suffolk, Virginia, which is on the southeast side of the state (right next to Norfolk & Virginia Beach). West Virginia is several hours away; I'm sure svxfiles is great with these cars (I've read quite a few positive reviews) but he would probably be a last resort. I've been entertaining the idea of a 4.44 swap, but was thinking about doing it later on down the road. Judging from your response (and a few others on the other SVX site) I may have to bump that up in the ranking of "need to do" stuff.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:00 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input

For whatever it is worth...If I personally had the choice between doing a transmission swap myself and transporting my car a few hundred miles to have svxfiles do it I would have my car taken to svxfiles. That's what AAA premier platinum titanium alloy memberships are for. If you don't have one it's time to get one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimitar View Post
When I put the shifter in D, the RPMs get around 4K before the car starts to move, and it moves slowly.
In 3, with the manual button pressed, it takes off very slowly - pretty much like it does in limp mode.
In 2, with the manual button pressed, it will jump to the redline and will not move at all - just like if the car was in neutral.
The shift "nudge" isn't very long at all, no longer than any other automatic car I've driven... that is, when it does actually nudge.

Unfortunately I live in Suffolk, Virginia, which is on the southeast side of the state (right next to Norfolk & Virginia Beach). West Virginia is several hours away; I'm sure svxfiles is great with these cars (I've read quite a few positive reviews) but he would probably be a last resort. I've been entertaining the idea of a 4.44 swap, but was thinking about doing it later on down the road. Judging from your response (and a few others on the other SVX site) I may have to bump that up in the ranking of "need to do" stuff.