Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-02-2013, 07:09 PM
svxless

Registered SVX
Driveshaft noise

About a week ago I was leaving for work and when I backed out of my garage I noticed this odd scraping/squealing noise as the car started moving backwards. I stopped, put the car in drive and didn't hear it as I moved forward. In the interests of time I drove to work and had no issues or other odd noises on my drive.

The next day I had a friend stand outside of the vehicle while I reversed to see if he could locate the sound. We found out it was coming from the center of the car, from the area right behind the transmission. My first though was that the heat shielding around the exhaust may have been rubbing on the driveshaft, but it still didn't make sense to me why I was only hearing it in reverse. So the next day I raised the car on a lift and stood underneath while someone else put it in reverse. I heard the noise but still couldn't tell what exactly was making the noise. A few of the more experienced techs in the shop (I work at a Nissan dealership) came over to help me diagnose, and their first though was that the center support bearing was going out. I started doing some research on failing center support bearings for driveshafts and wasn't satisfied with the results I was finding; my issue didn't seem to compare to any of them.

The last few days, I've been able to hear somewhat of a scraping/rattle when I'm in motion moving forward, at any speed, coming from the same general area. So I put the SVX up on the lift again today after work and removed the heat shield around the exhaust so I could really get a good look at everything driveshaft related. Now I can hear that the noise is not coming from the center support bearing at all, but rather the front half of the driveshaft itself; I don't mean the U-joints or where it connects to anything, I mean the actual shaft is making this noise.

I don't know much about the actual construction of driveshafts, or even if the SVX's is different from other subarus so I'm not sure what to suspect is making the noise. Does anyone have ANY ideas? This noise is going to drive me crazy.

1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 126k "BXR6" Sold 3/23/13
1992 LS-L Claret 178k totaled 10/26/09

1987 BMW 325is

60% of the time it works, every time
Old 02-02-2013, 07:52 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Driveshaft noise

I bet it's just scraping against a heat shield or something. When under load, the rear diff will tilt slightly. In reverse it tilts in the opposite direction than when in a forward gear. That's probably why you heard it in reverse but not drive.

In addition to the exhaust heat shields, there is another heat shield above the back of the transmission area. Might be that the top of the driveshaft is rubbing against that.

Not sure how to tell whether the support bearing itself it bad, but there is a round rubber mount that supports the bearing itself. If that were to start to go, it might let the driveshaft drop down to rub the exhaust.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 02-02-2013, 08:09 PM
svxless

Registered SVX

Well I know for a fact that nothing is coming into contact with the driveshaft. I completely removed the heatshield that is above the exhaust and there's a good inch or so above the driveshaft with nothing for it to touch.

The support bearing is a little worn, the driveshaft doesn't sit exactly centered in the rubber bushing/boot, but I don't believe it's hanging low enough to contact anything. I had it on the lift and inspected all moving parts in both reverse and drive, nothing is touching.

1987 BMW 325is

Old 02-02-2013, 11:06 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX

I have a rebuilt drive shaft with grease fittings that I grease yearly. Try lubricating moving parts, maybe something is drying out.

Subaru SVX for fun
Hyundai Veracruz for the wife.
Susuki SX4 for my older son
Ford Ranger for work
Mercedes Benz Sprinter for vacation trips,
EZ GO Golf cart for driving kids around gated community.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:47 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiv0 View Post
The support bearing is a little worn, the driveshaft doesn't sit exactly centered in the rubber bushing/boot, but I don't believe it's hanging low enough to contact anything.
It is possible that the worn center support bearing has been putting stress on the ujoints and they're failing. The sound from them may be coming through the hollow shaft, like a cone acts like a megaphone.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:21 AM
Fairmont State University
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to radarwhiz
Registered SVX

Was there ever a solution to this? Mine has just developed a similar noise that is most certainly a drive component rubbing against something else. No part of the drive shaft is contacting anything that I can see though. Mine is a 5sp swap with the stock driveshaft lengthened 2 inches. One last possibility is that the drive shaft is rubbing on the shroud at the tail of the transmission that it fit inside of. I will have to remove the shaft from the tranny to see if there is evidence of contact there.

'08 ML550 daily driver
'13 F150 work truck
'87 MR2 racecar
'92 Lsl Claret 5sp

"Be kind to your motor car." - Jackie Stewart
Old 02-20-2013, 02:02 PM
svxless

Registered SVX

I had mine on a lift, removed the heat shield, and still heard the noise for about a day. Then it just up and stopped making noise, still that way today. Not sure what to do I've just left it alone and figured I'll look into it more if it comes up again.

1987 BMW 325is