Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-27-2013, 09:17 PM

Leak Hell (rain)

It's been a dry, cold winter here in the Pacific Northwest - highly unusual. But, this last week has been a typical rain/43 degree/cloudy PNW kinda week and guess what? My Silvaru leaks! So, I ran a wire down the sunroof drains. I know the sunroof seal to be OK. The water is coming out from under the left side foot rest (driver seat) and after pulling the carpet and kick panel, I saw water leaking from behind the fuse panel (!). I got in there and found the drain hose to be dangling, disconnected from the plug that drains out into the fender well.
What's weird is that there is not enough length on the hose to fit into the drain plug AND the sunroof drain. I am very confused by this. Do any of these parts shrink due to water-logging?

But that's not what really worries me -
This whole thing started when I found the carpet (now pulled) in the back seat foot areas to be SOAKED. After pulling the carpet, rear trim panels, seat belt motor, and foam/plastic crap behind rear panel, I hosed the area and saw tons of water leaking through the rear bottom window seal (where the window actually rolls down). What can I do about this? I really doubt I can find this seal, much less replace it any better than it is as it sits right now. Am I boned?
Old 01-27-2013, 09:52 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Leak Hell (rain)

Ive had that happen on my old 93-94 legacy wagons where the drain hose just fell off the nipple but never had any issues on any svx's.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:26 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Leak Hell (rain)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiveH View Post
It's been a dry, cold winter here in the Pacific Northwest - highly unusual. But, this last week has been a typical rain/43 degree/cloudy PNW kinda week and guess what? My Silvaru leaks! So, I ran a wire down the sunroof drains. I know the sunroof seal to be OK. The water is coming out from under the left side foot rest (driver seat) and after pulling the carpet and kick panel, I saw water leaking from behind the fuse panel (!). I got in there and found the drain hose to be dangling, disconnected from the plug that drains out into the fender well.
What's weird is that there is not enough length on the hose to fit into the drain plug AND the sunroof drain. I am very confused by this. Do any of these parts shrink due to water-logging?

But that's not what really worries me -
This whole thing started when I found the carpet (now pulled) in the back seat foot areas to be SOAKED. After pulling the carpet, rear trim panels, seat belt motor, and foam/plastic crap behind rear panel, I hosed the area and saw tons of water leaking through the rear bottom window seal (where the window actually rolls down). What can I do about this? I really doubt I can find this seal, much less replace it any better than it is as it sits right now. Am I boned?
Idea - check for broken glass in the window seal for the window that's leaking. meaning the black rubber part that the window rolls up into.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album