Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-03-2013, 07:42 PM

funky running problems

heres some background.

car is a 2006 impreza 2.5i

engine is a 1992 eg33. the 2 ecu's run seperately. the only wires shared between them are starter signal, and a 12v source.

i did not connect the VSS, or any automatic transmission wires to the eg33 ecu.

the first issue is when the engine is cold, it will not start unless you give it some throttle. it will stutter and blow a ton of smoke. then after 5 or 10 seconds will idle smoothly at around 1500rpms. if i let it idle untill the temp gauge starts to register movement and start driving it drives fantastically. smooth, tons of power, and a glorious noise. it will idle around 1500-2000rpm at this point when stopped.

if i try and leave before the coolant guage has registered movement, the car will not rev. i can go full throttle and the car will not increase any rpm it gets frozen for about 5-10 seconds then all of a sudden will rocket forward. and will continue to do this untill the guage moves, then its buisiness as usual.

now inbetween the gauge starting to move, and it's final resting place, with the heat on, the car drives great. perfect except for a high idle (anywhere from 1000-2000rpm, but with a quick throttle snap it comes down to 1000ish). but once at operating temperature it will drive under light load perfectly, but at full throttle it is noticably low on power. but if i click the heat off, all my power is restored and it acts like a normal car.

any idea what could be causing this gremlin? or is it common?

also, around 2750-3250 rpm there is a LOUD rasp out of the exuast, under 2750rpm the exhaust is smooth, above 3250 and it sounds mean as hell, almost like 2 different cars. i'm aware of the IRIS valve but i was under the impression it didnt do anything untill 4000ish rpm.

*edit* when i did the swap, for some reason i didnt hook up the SSM. so as far as hooking up to that im SOL

Last edited by 2006eg33; 01-03-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:53 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: funky running problems

Yea the SSM would be nice, you could check the temp the ECU is seeing from the CTS. You should really consider wiring it up, it's only like 4 wires.

Based on your symptoms, I'd try replacing the CTS to see if that was the problem. If your idle is high like that you should first check for vacuum leaks. It should definitely not be idling that high if all is perfect.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album