Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-11-2012, 04:53 PM

Registered SVX
No A/C blower on auto when temp drops normal?

Ok, now that the temperature is falling in my neck of the woods I'm having a bit of trouble with the climate control. A/c on auto works great when the ambient temp is above the set temp, but once it drops below it acts strange. The past two days the high has been around 50 deg, when I start the car the climate system is quiet, no blower and as the car moves cold air floods the floor. I can turn on the blower by pushing any of the speed buttons and it will blow where it thinks it needs to but cold air still floods the floor unless I move the temp down so the air starts blow through the vents. Now the cold air stops on the floor and I can raise the temp and hot air starts warming the floor.The same problem happens in Econ mode and Def as well.

So I tried to diagnose and I pull no codes, so I'm stumped as to what it could be. I have replaced the climate control module once already because I had problem with the compressor NOT kicking on last fall and I don't remember how the heater worked previously. Its not bad but can get annoying having cold feet in the morning when I forget to move the temp down. So, anyone have any suggestions on what to look at?

Thanks,

Last edited by showoval; 12-11-2012 at 06:45 PM. Reason: no NOT, doh
Old 12-11-2012, 05:07 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: No A/C blower on auto when temp drops normal?

Try pulling codes from the climate control unit. Instructions attached here. Worth a shot. Other than that I have no clue, those things are still a mystery to me.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 12-11-2012, 08:17 PM

Registered SVX

Here is my take on the climate control thing:

If the ambient temp in the cabin is below is below 65 its going to open the floor vents, as the car wants to heat the cabin.
It will blow COLD outside air on your feet until the heater is warmed up.
You will get quiet no fans if the temp in the cabin is lower than the thing is set to.
Even if its set to off, your still going to get cold air leaking in through the floor vents.
If you increase the temp, the fans will kick on, which will still come out the floor vents until the car reaches 65.

Mine is like this also.. its like there is a window open on my feet on cold mornings.
I also tried a different climate control unit.. thinking it was the issue, even though not throwing codes, but it did the same thing.

Last edited by Lookin4SVX; 12-11-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:59 AM

If my cars are typical, when set to AUTO the climate control blower does NOT operate until the engine reaches a temperature sufficient to provide heat to the cabin, at which time it spools-up on its own accord and blows heat from the floor vents. Fan speed is determined automatically by the temperature inside the cabin. Blowing cold air immediately upon startup would suggest to me that something's amiss.

dcb
Old 12-12-2012, 07:32 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
If my cars are typical, when set to AUTO the climate control blower does NOT operate until the engine reaches a temperature sufficient to provide heat to the cabin, at which time it spools-up on its own accord and blows heat from the floor vents. Fan speed is determined automatically by the temperature inside the cabin. Blowing cold air immediately upon startup would suggest to me that something's amiss.

dcb
Ok, so the blower will only come on when the car reaches temp. The cold air is coming through the floor only when the car is moving, so I guess the fresh air vent is open during that time. But I can shut it off by hitting the Rec button or changing the temp downward so the vents come on which closes the floor vent and reopens with heat once I move the temp up.