How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-02-2012, 04:58 PM

Registered SVX
seized engine

So I picked up a non-running 92 svx a few weeks ago and finally got started working on it to see if it can be saved and restored. Mostly as practice so I can work on my 96 that's acting like it has head gasket issues.

The previous owner planned on using the engine as a donor in a Vanagon but gave up after letting it sit around for several years. He bought it knowing that it had a bad head gasket and made sure I was aware of its condition. Unfortunately he hadn't started the engine in at least 2 years and it wouldn't start when I bought it.

So now I've got it in a friends garage (no car work at my apartment allowed) and decided to pull the engine and do a full reseal along with replacing the head gasket. The job was a little challenging because A) I've never done this level of work before and B) I can't get the crankshaft to move. My friends say it's seized and maybe soaking some Marvel's Mystery Oil in the spark plug holes will allow it to break loose (It's been soaking in the left side for 36 hours at this point). To get access to the plugs I managed to get the engine out with the torque converter still attached but it won't allow me to mount the engine to a stand.

So as it stands, I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas to help me get the shaft to spin enough that I can get to the last TC bolt, or if there is a good way to dismantle the rest of the engine to find where its bound up (how do you get the timing belt cover off). From the outside there isn't much that looks bad, just dirty with a bit of coolant in the left side exhaust manifold, no debris in the oil pan, and the usual brittle hoses.

Last edited by Crash_Bandit; 12-02-2012 at 04:59 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 12-02-2012, 06:09 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: seized engine

Depending on how bad the HG leak was, it likely leaked coolant into the combustion chamber and rusted the piston rings or a piston, or couple.
Sorry to say, but there is a decent chance the block is screwed.
Do you have the heads off yet to see what's going on?
Old 12-03-2012, 12:47 AM

Registered SVX

Yeah, there's a good chance that the engine will be a write off but I'm still learning a lot as I go. At least the car was inexpensive.

My friends with the garage are a bunch of racing nuts who are helping me out with advice. They know a good machine shop that should be able to handle most of the lesser problems at a reasonable cost. But I need to get the torque converter off first. For the moment I am waiting to see if the oil can loosen any stuck piston after soaking for a few days. The guys are advising me to not open the heads or block up and just take it in so they can find the actual failure points. Would it be ok to drill out the one torque converter bolt that I can't unscrew?

I'll give an update in a few days.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:35 PM

Registered SVX

Hey a local!! Welcome. Did you buy it from the guy in placerville?
If u need a block I have a good block with a blown rod bearing and another block with a crack but good internals that I'm gonna be parting out and two sets of heads. I say just drill it out. I believe I have a extra flex plate too as I went 5speed.

Izack
#1 1994 Ls ebony parts car-rip
#2 1994 L laguna blue - sold
#3 1992 Lsi pearl white - sold
#4 1992 Lsi pearl white -Ate two engines - Rip
#5 1994 L Laguna Blue fwd - Now Awd and manual - 03 wrx 5mt - 18's stern warp st4s - totaled hit a tree
#6 1992 Lsi custom orange parts car
#7 1992 Lsi green 4.44 swap. Currently for sale
#8 1992 Lsi custom pearl white. Project car... sold
#9 1992 Teal 4.44 swapped... sold
#10 1995 Laguna Blue. Sti 19 wheels,
#11 1994 Laguna Blue. Came with #10 engine and trans are out but plan to put it back on the road. Willing to sell it at any time! 😂
Old 12-11-2012, 03:48 AM

Registered SVX

Yup, that's the car. I'm just across the river in Carmichael when I'm home.

Its a bit of a basket case (as expected at the price), but there's a reputable machine shop up in Yuba City that has the engine now. I'll hear in the next day or 2 if its worth the trouble. I may give a holler soon to gather a few parts that are needed as the shop doesn't have any contacts for subaru parts (yet). I'm trying to see if I can find someplace local that can come close to prices at subaruparts.com or genuinesubaruparts.com for stuff like the timing belt and water pump. I had a chance meeting with the parts manager at the roseville subaru dealer and might hook them up and see if they can get close to the online prices.

I'll see about getting a hold of you soon and maybe we can see if we have any parts we can buy/sell/trade.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:24 AM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

I've had excellent results with these kits.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/92-97-SUBARU...4e03e3&vxp=mtr

There are less expensive ones on ebay, but these have been going strong on 2 vehicles for over 5 years.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 12-11-2012, 06:38 AM

FWIW, the prices listed on the subaru websites are the "wholesale" cost that the dealership would charge. Any dealership will cut down their prices to those levels if you yell at them enough (or make reeealy good friends with the parts guy, or claim you run a shop across town and need parts for a customer car)

There are *at least* 5 different price levels at the stealerships:
(ranked highest to lowest)

Retail
Discount
Wholesale
Employee cost
Dealer cost

What you pay depends on your bargaining skills.

Good luck though!
(fwiw, I used to work at a dealership, I get all my parts at wholesale still, but only because the higher-ups caught me still getting things at dealer cost )