IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-18-2012, 07:09 PM
A flight-less flyer

Send a message via Yahoo to floatingkiwi
Diff questions

Hi Folks

After a bit of searching, I can't find any answers to a couple of things:

As most of this website deals with american model SVX's I'm getting a bit confused about what oils I need for my JDM model SVX (which has a separate center diff as opposed to your AT-integrated ones??)
1) So, as far as I can tell I need 75W/90 GL5 for the rear diff right? Does it need to be an LSD compatible fluid?
2) And for the center diff I need 80W/90 GL5? Can I put a standard 90W LSD fluid in this diff (that would normally go in the rear diff of most other cars)?

Matt

Just Crusin'
Old 11-24-2012, 05:40 PM

Re: Diff questions

well you sound confused ,you have a 5sp in your car i take it ,then the center diff is mounted in the transfer housing of the trans axle ,so a good GL5 should work fine ,i use royal purple in my cars here because of the cold.i also use it in the rear diff
Old 11-24-2012, 08:29 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input

crc makes a much better gear lube at an excellent price under their Sta Lube brand. It's api/gl-5 but it's sae 85w140. It's hypoid fluid that works extremely well for everything. This is the stuff I use in my diffs: http://crcindustries.com/auto/?s=SL2433
Old 11-24-2012, 11:02 PM
A flight-less flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy956 View Post
well you sound confused ,you have a 5sp in your car i take it ,then the center diff is mounted in the transfer housing of the trans axle ,so a good GL5 should work fine ,i use royal purple in my cars here because of the cold.i also use it in the rear diff
No I'm not confused. I have a standard 4at Trans but all the manuals I can find are for USA spec cars and I understand there is a difference regarding the centre diff between the us and row cars?

Just Crusin'
Old 11-25-2012, 03:40 AM

Registered SVX

JDM cars are vtd trans which is a little different, US cars and most of the world got the regular 4eat.
1992 SVX Pearlie: AmsOil signature synthetic 10w40 and Ea15k20 filter, Cobb crank pulley, Outlaw Engineering spacers and tb bypass, LGT 5spd, Slotted Crossdrilled rotors and ceramic pads, 11:1 compression, EGR delete, Port & Polished heads, SaikoMichi catch can, A/c delete.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:26 AM
Just some dude.

What I think you are calling a center dif is the vtd. It is inside an extension housing on output end of the transmission just like the us multiplate clutch awd system. It is operated and lubricated by the transmission fluid, not it's own fluid. I have a jdm driveline in my car. I rebuilt the transmission before installing it and took pictures of the vtd to illustrate what it is. I posted them in a thread detailing the differences of the jdm parts from the US parts: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60414

Your front differential which is mounted on the front of the transmission uses it's own fluid. It will take a little more than 1 and 1/4 quarts/liters of gear oil, preferably the heavy duty hypoid gl5 I posted the link to the information on above.

The rear differential is it's own unit mounted between the rear axles and will take a little less than 1 an 1/4 quarts/liters of gear oil, preferably the heavy duty hypoid gl5 I posted the link to above.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:55 AM
A flight-less flyer

Thanks mike. I can't remember but I did read a thread about the difference a long time ago. The USA Trans is more prone to overheating - but can't remember why. So what is the official spec fluid for my front diff - 80w90?

Just Crusin'
Old 11-25-2012, 11:21 AM
Just some dude.

I believe anything that is gl-5 meets the official spec. Most of both of the sae viscosity ranges meet gl-5 spec; however, the particular sta-lube product I am recomending to you meets pretty much any and every type of gear lube spec there is. It can be used in almost any type of differential and will do the job far better than most lubes.