Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-15-2012, 05:28 PM

Tranny pan dented in-- how urgent to fix?

The tranny pan on my latest '94 has a pretty substantial dent in it from... somebody hitting something at some point in time before I got it. It's not leaking so I was wondering how urgent it was to fix or replace it. Tranny shifts fine. If it contained moving parts or baffles inside like an engine oil pan, I would feel more urgent about it, but it's just the valve body & filter inside the trans pan, right? What's the expert opinion? The only real concern I can think of is how the dent might change or constrict the flow of trans fluid, assuming, of course that the dent didn't damage anything inside.

And my GRIPE for the day is that I have an extra SVX tranny that I got from the self-serve junkyard a couple of years ago that I was going to swap the pan from, but I just discovered that it had two 1/2" HOLES punched in it from when the yard drained the trans fluid out. Why can't they take a few seconds longer and just take the plug out of the pan with a socket wrench??? Grr!

davew833@yahoo.com

Former 6-time SVX owner
Old 11-15-2012, 05:46 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Tranny pan dented in-- how urgent to fix?

Can you get a picture of the dent? Also, you can use any phase 1 4eat pan... :read: impreza, legacy, etc from 90-98

And punching the pans is common practice at most yards. Have a punch and a hammer is a lot easier than having to carry 10 different sockets for all the different size drain plugs on all the different mf's cars...
Old 11-16-2012, 02:00 AM

Re: Tranny pan dented in-- how urgent to fix?

I pulled the pan tonight and beat the dent out with a hammer. It was deep enough to push in the trans filter inlet so I replaced that too. The pan gasket was leaking anyway so it made sense to do it all.

davew833@yahoo.com

Former 6-time SVX owner