Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-03-2012, 05:28 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
rear combination light assembly

I just replaced the seals to hopefully solve a moisture problem in the lenses. It rains here a lot and I don't want to have the lenses fogged up 9 months a year. Anyway, When the assembly was out, I noticed that the bottom seam of the assembly is not real tight. Kind of like the lenses are bowed a bit. Is this common? Is this where the moisture is getting in? Thinking the poor fit it might be caused by using the assembly as a trunk lid handle when the gas struts/stays are blown. That would cause a lot of stress over time.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:43 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: rear combination light assembly

If you want to make sure that the assembly is sealed, use some black or clear silicone to seal it up. Take the taillight out though, so you can get to all of it and not get silicone all over the car, and just generally do a cleaner, nicer job of it. The little rubber gaskets don't (IMO) work very well after such a long time.

WRT your actual question - you mean the bottom middle of the center tail bar, to the immediate rear of the little lights that light up the license plate? Where the red lens meets the black housing of it? I had one with a similar problem I think, where the lens was sort of pulling away from the housing there in the center. But I didn't try to solve it, just swapped it with another spare that I had, and it never got any water in it. (The left and right ones get water in them a lot though...)
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 11-03-2012, 06:08 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Yep, it is a little separated, mostly in the middle. A new assembly is about $350. Ouch. Might try to seal it up as you recommended of water continues to get in. It is in the garage now though. And dry. Find out tomorrow.

Last edited by SUPER; 11-09-2012 at 07:37 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-03-2012, 06:30 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

I have been getting water collecting in the deck lid during heavy heavy rains. I just ordered new seals for that center light hopefully that takes care of it.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007