Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-19-2012, 02:25 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX
ack, my SVX died :-(

Lost the bolts between the flex plate and crankshaft :-( Previous owner had a dips**t mechanic do a bunch of work to it (IIRC brakes, rear wheel bearings, and the flex plate.) Wheel bearings were boogered up (tore the inner seals on both, letting water in), brakes were crap (wore out in ~15k miles, one rear caliper wasn't properly lubed and dragged), and when they put the flex plate in they didn't have the torque converter in all the way and borked the hydraulic pump (How I got the car, they told the PO that the tranny went out and he was SOL, boy was he pissed when I got it apart and told him he had been ripped off)

So I guess when they put the flex plate in they didn't loctite the crank bolts... It had been making a funny knocking/rattling type noise, which I thought was a loose heat shield since it did it one day and then it went away... My wife and I were driving down to Albany to visit my parents, got just to the other side of Salem and it went POP and the RPMs shot up.. My first thought was I had lost the front diff, but once I got off the freeway and pulled over I realized it made noise in neutral and park as well. Shut it off and it wouldn't restart, starter just spins the torque converter/flex plate.
So saturday I'm gonna yank out the engine, picked up an engine with 60,000 miles on it for $100 so hopefully I'll have my car back on the road in a few weeks.. Been driving my truck back and forth to work in Beaverton from Vancouver....
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 10-19-2012, 09:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
Re: ack, my SVX died :-(

What an unfortunate series of events. However it looks like you have things covered and a 60k mile engine for $100, how did you scheme that? Good luck and keep us posted on the progress!
Old 10-20-2012, 09:30 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Re: ack, my SVX died :-(

if that engine falls through let me know, I have one sitting in my garage.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles