Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-15-2012, 09:05 PM

Oil Leak Diagnosis help

Hey all - haven't been on the forum for years - good to be back. Our 92 has an oil leak at the front bottom of the engine. It leaks onto the tray just behind the front bumper then drips through the holes. I've attached a couple of pictures though they may be hard to understand. The one is taken to the left of the oil filter. The second is on the same axis but further left along the bottom front of the engine. We're not mechanical and I'm forever suspect of letting someone who doesn't know these cars start to play. Appreciate any help with what our problem might be - thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oil1.jpg (145.6 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg oil 2.jpg (194.0 KB, 115 views)
Old 10-15-2012, 10:05 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Oil Leak Diagnosis help

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjpops View Post
Hey all - haven't been on the forum for years - good to be back. Our 92 has an oil leak at the front bottom of the engine. It leaks onto the tray just behind the front bumper then drips through the holes. I've attached a couple of pictures though they may be hard to understand. The one is taken to the left of the oil filter. The second is on the same axis but further left along the bottom front of the engine. We're not mechanical and I'm forever suspect of letting someone who doesn't know these cars start to play. Appreciate any help with what our problem might be - thanks.
What do you mean by the "tray". Do you mean the black plastic cover that is over the timing belt? Oil leaks from that area are usually bad Cam seals.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 10-15-2012, 10:20 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Looks like the timing covers in the pictures. Cam seals/plugs and crank seal are the only things under there that can leak. Or it could possibly be something leaking from the top through them and all the way down.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 10-15-2012, 10:36 PM

By the 'tray' I mean the plastic shroud that you need to remove to access the oil filter. It's under the car immediately behind the front bumper and goes back about a foot the width of the car.

Thanks for your thoughts on this problem!

Are these diagnosis major repairs in terms of parts and cost?
Old 10-16-2012, 04:55 AM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjpops View Post
By the 'tray' I mean the plastic shroud that you need to remove to access the oil filter. It's under the car immediately behind the front bumper and goes back about a foot the width of the car.

Thanks for your thoughts on this problem!

Are these diagnosis major repairs in terms of parts and cost?
For those seals, parts are just few dollars but unfortunately there is a lot of labor because of where they are located. I am guessing 3-4 hours of shop time.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 10-16-2012, 01:08 PM

Registered SVX

looks like my engine, found one of my cam seals was about to walk while the other was only leaking a little.
1992 SVX Pearlie: AmsOil signature synthetic 10w40 and Ea15k20 filter, Cobb crank pulley, Outlaw Engineering spacers and tb bypass, LGT 5spd, Slotted Crossdrilled rotors and ceramic pads, 11:1 compression, EGR delete, Port & Polished heads, SaikoMichi catch can, A/c delete.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:40 PM

Appreciate the thoughts everyone.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:52 PM

If this is the cam seals, what risk do we run if it is not repaired for some time. The car only sees about 3000 miles per year so is not a high use vehicle. We're of course monitoring oil levels but certainly don't want our putting this off to cause some even worse problem. Guess it's just difficult to invest much in a vehicle that is now of little value.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:57 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Oil getting on the timing belt can't be a good thing. Other than that, I can't really think of any major issues that would come from it. How much oil is it leaking? Have you changed any of the seals/gaskets in the past, and how many miles on the car? Most of these cars are needing a few seals here and there at the age they're at now. I'd bite the bullet and have them done. It's one of the jobs that I'd trust to a normal mechanic.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album