Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2011, 12:33 PM
The Molinator

Question FuEl LeVeL.. ???

After I had replaced my starter last nite.. AND after several attempts to charge/start (+tap on solenoid!) .. I suddenly see my full tank of gas .. on the way to work.. appear to be 1/4 tank of gas!

Why gas gauge suddenly wacko.. ??

Thanks, Jim

P.S. No gas leaks.. seems to be WaCkO gas gauge! .. ? Wud voltage surges (battery chargers)/crashes (shorts?/lights on with no alternator charge) to system .. DO THIS?
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!

Last edited by James Scott; 10-26-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:12 PM

Re: FuEl LeVeL.. ???

Not sure if what you describe is the cause, I was gonna say it could just be the fuel level sending unit on its way out, but come to think of it all the soobs I owned I have never had an issue with the sending unit goin out.

I would keep an eye on it for now to see if its a one time thing or if its a recurring issue. Maybe someone else has a better solution.

I am posting from my phone which is kinda a pain in the butt, but check out the other thread titled fuel gauge. Woes, lots of helpful stuff in there, and apparently more than one issue with sending unit or float in there

Last edited by Subaru Alliance; 10-26-2011 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Scott View Post
After I had replaced my starter last nite.. AND after several attempts to charge/start (+tap on solenoid!) .. I suddenly see my full tank of gas .. on the way to work.. appear to be 1/4 tank of gas!

Why gas gauge suddenly wacko.. ??

Thanks, Jim

P.S. No gas leaks.. seems to be WaCkO gas gauge! .. ? Wud voltage surges (battery chargers)/crashes (shorts?/lights on with no alternator charge) to system .. DO THIS?
All three of my SVX's will do this rarely but occasionally the 200,000 mile one most frequent.

I simply push the button to reset the miles to Zero with each fill-up and live with it.

Keith
Old 10-27-2011, 12:00 PM
The Molinator

Cool Re: FuEl LeVeL.. ???

I saw an old (3/11) thread about this .. with a pic of the "Sensor(s)" .. I can't really figure out how it works.. esp when viewing the Subaruparts.com pic of this area.. ???

I guess I'll just have to take the gas tank lid off.. and see if I can repair??

I think it's real crazy that I get stranded right before buying a new starter.. then I replace the starter later that night.. And THEN the next day (after filling my tank where I got stranded the night before..) the gas gauge reads 1/4 to 1/3 (instead of FULL!) .. depending on the alignment of the stars! YIKES!

Thanks, Jim
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 10-28-2011, 05:52 PM

I have the same issue. If you find out what it is I would appreciate it if you can share your findings. Pics help too!

Cheers,
Adam