Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2008, 04:40 AM
One teal and One yellow

Re: The first accident on my Teal SVX

Hey people, how do I get "better compensation" from my car when I talk to the adjuster again? I seem not to be able to talk good with the adjuster on the phone a few times. He seems to believe what he says and I don't get a good chance to explain things. I guess the next time he calls he's going to let me know what my options are . . .

Thank you all for knowing how I feel. Thanks for sending me PM to let me know my repair options, Brian! It's still upset and unfair. The car was actually in good shape and now it's like a big mess-up and I have to spend extra time to deal with these because of the freak accident. No matter what decisions I am going to make, it will take times. I could lose my car and get some money but the money won't replace "my car". If I buy it back, the money will be enough to fix my car?? Then the clean title will become a salvage title.

Hopefully I'll get okay news from the adjuster and a fair compensation next week.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 09-01-2008, 08:53 AM

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure how to go about getting better compensation. With my accident, the adjuster sent me the amount he came up with by himself. When the body shop told me he wouldn't send any more, all I did was wait. I didn't cash his check, and weeks pased. Then I came to the decision to write to the guy at Nationwide who originally contacted me and set up my appontment w/the adjuster. He was not at all sympathetic or inclined to send any more. He was mad, and shot down all my points. He sent the letter to the adjuster. After another week, I called the adjuster, and he was accomodating and already in the process of sending me more money. Maybe contacting the adjuster immdiately would have been better, maybe not.

Keep in mind, that I probably could have gotten a lot more if I knew what I was doing. Nationwide sent me way less. The value they wanted to total my car at was ridiculously low. The insuance company that Downforlow dealt with (State Farm?) was a better one. They totalled his car at $3,000 more than what Nationwide would have totaled mine. And that was right off the bat, w/o him arguing or waiting. And maybe the insurance laws in NY are better than in PA.

I was not given any options. The adjuster could have totaled my car. Anytime I talked to anyone, I made it clear that I wanted to keep my car. Maybe that helped, maybe not. And, yes, it just wasted a lot of my time and concern. I wish I could be more helpful.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:39 AM
Mechanical 'L' plater ahead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSVX View Post
I talked to the adjuster again yesterday. He said it's "total loss" and he needs to get more paper works done and I also need to fax him the note from the police. After that he will give me some options. He told me the damage is about $4600. It exceeds the value of the car and it's total loss. : (

I don't know what kind of "okay" news or "bad" news or "worse" news he's going to tell me after few more business days.
I was surprised when I first learnt of how low the value of SVX's is in the US - still find it a bit bewildering.

Thought I'd ask if you'd heard anything more yet. It is a cruddy situation and nothing changes that, like you said, even the time and frustration of sorting it out is a cost, but I'm really hoping you get the best outcome possible.

Tania.

Edit: I didn't feel I had anything to offer on how to negotiate with the assessor, but just now I wondered if you can find out how they decide what the car is worth, and if there's a way of challenging it if you don't agree with their value? ( e.g. looking around sale ads to see what cars in similar condition are selling for, pics of the car's condition pre. accident, receipts for work done on it).

No plants = no life on earth - so go forth and plant green things!

Last edited by plantchick; 09-06-2008 at 02:44 AM.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:14 PM

Sux you didn't make it a couple more years.... Once a car reaches 'collectible' status (20+ years old in my state) you can get collectors insurance where you TELL THEM the value of your car and that is actually what decides your premium.

Granted the rarity of these vehicles I wonder what the collector insurance companies would say to insuring them....?? We'll probably have to wait for one to sell for $65k before that becomes an option.....

Either way in the event you are left without options and are looking for more there are obviously a lot of good parts remaining to sell off.......

Tell them you had an offer for $23,500
Old 09-11-2008, 03:26 AM
One teal and One yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantchick View Post
I was surprised when I first learnt of how low the value of SVX's is in the US - still find it a bit bewildering.

Thought I'd ask if you'd heard anything more yet. It is a cruddy situation and nothing changes that, like you said, even the time and frustration of sorting it out is a cost, but I'm really hoping you get the best outcome possible.

Tania.

Edit: I didn't feel I had anything to offer on how to negotiate with the assessor, but just now I wondered if you can find out how they decide what the car is worth, and if there's a way of challenging it if you don't agree with their value? ( e.g. looking around sale ads to see what cars in similar condition are selling for, pics of the car's condition pre. accident, receipts for work done on it).
Thanks for your opinions, Tania.

It's time-consuming and it's entirely not my fault and it just happened.

I am not happy with the price he's going to pay me. I just talk to the adjuster today and trying to ask for more. He asked me to send him some documentations to prove the value. Like I'm going to send him the links for the book value and those cars in similar conditions of how much people are asking for them in market values. Hope that will help.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:38 AM
One teal and One yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by iizbeastie View Post
Sux you didn't make it a couple more years.... Once a car reaches 'collectible' status (20+ years old in my state) you can get collectors insurance where you TELL THEM the value of your car and that is actually what decides your premium.

Granted the rarity of these vehicles I wonder what the collector insurance companies would say to insuring them....?? We'll probably have to wait for one to sell for $65k before that becomes an option.....

Either way in the event you are left without options and are looking for more there are obviously a lot of good parts remaining to sell off.......

Tell them you had an offer for $23,500

Ha, I wish he would belive I had an offer for that much.

They're going to take my car by paying me $4300 plus with tax. If I want to buy it back and keep my car, I will get $3900 plus and keep my car with salvage title! (long process)

Meanwhile, I'm going to ask for more money for my car. They said the damage is $4600 and they will pay my car for $4300?? This is not only a car to me and this car brings me friends and fun.

Earl thinks I should get more. I wish and I'm trying me. John says my car can probably be rebuilt but I will face problems with dealing with its salvage titles when I get hit next time and selling it. (some states can't register salvage title cars)

Right now I'm trying to get more compensation first. I tend to decide to keep it as a part car and combine two into one, swap my lower miles engine/tranny to the yellow one and make the yellow in better conditions.......not sure yet for everything.

It sucks and my car can't make it longer to collectible status by its fate....

Old 09-11-2008, 05:11 AM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

If you buy it with a salvage title sell it to someone you know in Pa so they can get a rebuilt title for it and then have them sell it back to you with a good title.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 09-12-2008, 08:11 PM

Registered SVX

kill that *****....or blow up her car ....or DO ANYTHING THAT COULD HELP YOU OUT !!! personally i would ....i would...i would...i don't know
Ebony black 92 Ls-l Alive - 25XXXX - Quick change, Powermod , Alternator Mod , audiobahn 1300 watt ach ,exile 800 watt peak, jackhammer 12" 300 watt rms, polkaudio 6 1/2 compoment. kenwood dvd\nav . radar detector.small car lens and grill
Old 09-12-2008, 09:55 PM
One teal and One yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightningsvx View Post
If you buy it with a salvage title sell it to someone you know in Pa so they can get a rebuilt title for it and then have them sell it back to you with a good title.

Cars with salvage titles in PA can become good titles after they're sold to other states? How does this work?

Old 09-12-2008, 11:25 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

Maybe? I bought mine with a Salvage and got a reconstructed title for it so it's legal.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 09-20-2008, 04:32 AM
One teal and One yellow

They're going to pay me more but it hasn't finalized yet...

I'll contact the adjuster next week.

Last few days, I drove my teal svx around. It fired right up and idled as smooth as usual. It still felt like a good car being inside. I had no problems to turn the steering wheel to either direction but when I was driving, sometimes the rear wheel was grinding the rear panel due to the damages. If it went over the bump, it'd be worse. On a better side, our fuel door is on the other side, otherwise I would have had problems to get gas for this car after the accident...

Old 10-24-2011, 05:19 AM
One teal and One yellow

bump for myself so i don't have to search again.
search function is hard to use.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:07 AM
One teal and One yellow

Well, so after three yrs++++, my car is on the way back:

Went thru a lot, long stories short. I bought it back. I was dragging for a while to fix it. Then I found a 96L polo green part car for two hundreds bucks. I have been looking for a right person to work on my car. A friend is retired. A friend took forever to start. A guy kept my 96L polo green part-car for 4 mths, done nothing much and screwed up the 1/4 panel when he cut it out, and wasted me a lot of times.

At last, two months++ ago, I happened to talk to my friend's friend and he could come to look at my car and willing to work on it. And he would come get my car.

It's good and so far most of the body work has been done. I need to save up some money to get 4 new tires, all brakes and etc. A new paint job. (still thinking what color) A r-title inspection and etc. And my car will be back on the road. Hopefully all will be done in two months. I'm getting excited and drive my svx on snow again.

Almost finish 1:

Almost finish 2:

In the work 1:

In the work 2:

The 96 polo green part-car:

back to Aug 2008 --
BEFORE 1:

BEFORE 2:

So what color will be the best? She is going to have a new paint job in this year. I'm getting excited and will be taking part in painting.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:17 AM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Wow looking great!! Awesome to read this on a Monday morning.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 10-24-2011, 06:25 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Dark Teal?
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.