Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-19-2011, 10:00 PM

which resistor for transmission is CLOSEST to stock?

25W015= 15ohm
25W020= 20ohm
25W027= 27ohm
25W030= 30ohm

ALSO is the stock the recommended resistance or is there a preferred different resistance?
My ONLY desire is transmission longevity... so does one resistor help the longevity more than the other?
Old 09-20-2011, 09:54 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: which resistor for transmission is CLOSEST to stock?

I'll look later and see if I can find a spare for you. Are you coming to Tampa this weekend?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 09-20-2011, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveherman View Post
25W015= 15ohm
25W020= 20ohm
25W027= 27ohm
25W030= 30ohm

ALSO is the stock the recommended resistance or is there a preferred different resistance?
My ONLY desire is transmission longevity... so does one resistor help the longevity more than the other?
Ask svxfiles. He knows this stuff inside and out and rebuilds these resistors for various needs.

The answer to your last question is YES.

Firmer shifts between gears generate less heat overall. The stock resistor was designed for long and smooth shift changes, which is not necessarily good.

Do you have an external transmission cooler?

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 09-20-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
I'll look later and see if I can find a spare for you. Are you coming to Tampa this weekend?

mine reads 12.5ohms... i think it was just wet and caused it to throw code...no code now... but i also ordered all 4 resistors.

not sure about tampa. radiator should be here friday... if so then yes i plan on it.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

From many of my stored documents:

The resistor in no way is associated with the designed functional sequence of the transmission. Altering or removing it is a bastard way of altering the designed parameters.

THE SVX DROPPING RESISTOR CIRCUIT

Solenoid valve “A” which controls transmission line pressure is continuously pulse width modulated and opens and closes at a rate of 50 times per second. This means that the normally closed valve can be subject, to what could be called a hammering of the valve seat, even though this is largely damped by the controlled fluid flow.

In order to overcome this problem, the signal is divided into two separate circuits. Each pulse is initiated with a constant very short full voltage signal, which accelerates the valve towards fully open. This short fixed length pulse is extended to the required pulse length, by means of a second parallel signal via the resistor circuit, but at a reduced in voltage. This results in a rapid opening and soft closing of the valve and a reduction of both shock and noise. The resistor allows both voltages to be supplied at the same potential, so as to reduce complication within the control system.

Limiting the voltage holding in the solenoid also reduces the overall power delivered and therefore heating within the coil.

It will be appreciated that omitting the dropping resistor and thus leaving the circuit open, or increasing the resistance in the circuit, will completely upset the control signal and result in an abnormal, increased line pressure. Typically pressure at idle has been shown to be raised from a normal 45 PSI, to 120 PSI with the resistor disconnected and the circuit open. Obviously shock loads applied to the valve are increased.

It is a recognized fact, that the normally closed line pressure control solenoid, is usually the first to fail, due to having to fulfill by far the most arduous duty, by operating continuously at 50 CPS. Failure is usually mechanical, resulting in the valve seat not closing properly, thus causing a reduced line pressure. The end result can be drastic, especially in respect of transmission friction surfaces.

Diagnostic Code 11 indicates a faulty solenoid “A”, a fault in line transmission resistor or interconnecting wiring. The SVX workshop manuals indicate that a mechanically sticking or seized valve, as well as an electrically faulty solenoid, can be detected. Mechanical failure can be confirmed by means of a line pressure test, but not by via electrical resistance testing.

NOTE: The solenoid can be replaced without removing the transmission from the car and this should not be a particularly expensive procedure. Therefore, warning signals should be heeded.

The resistor should measure between 9 and 15 ohms to be within specifications, and is usually very close to 12 ohms.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 09-20-2011, 07:51 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveherman View Post
25W015= 15ohm
25W020= 20ohm
25W027= 27ohm
25W030= 30ohm

12 Ohms is standard, but if you are interested in extending the life of the transmission, increase it to 27 Ohms. This will raise the line pressure a bit to increase the pressure at low speeds to help prevent the band and high clutch from slipping at low speeds. It won't produce problems from too high a pressure causing binding, or higher gas consumption.

Also shift back to third in city traffic.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.