How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-18-2011, 06:08 PM
Homo Sapien Superior

Bad Rattle

I seemed to have developed over night this really annoying rattle like shaking noise. It seems to be coming from the front passengers side when I make a sharp right hand turn. The car still turns fine however and makes no noise at all when turning left. I looked underneath and checked the tires to see if something was rubbing, but that doesn't seem to be the case. And someone was recently under there checking out my suspension so that should be okay. Any ideas what this could be?
Old 02-18-2011, 07:09 PM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
Re: Bad Rattle

Bleed the power steering and check your hoses for a slight leak. I had this problem once and it was due to a pinhole crack in the steering hose that caused air to rush in under certain circumstances and create cavitation in the pump. This manifested as a rattle when turning a certain direction.

Of course, that's just a guess... it could be a number of things including loose brake pads/calipers or control arm. I guess I am asking for more details of what it sounds like?

My Rides:
Red 1996 SVX LSi (Saffron)
2007 Yamaha FJR1300 (Kaitlin)

Previously owned; green '95 L AWD (sold), black/pearlie '94 LSi (too many problems), Polo Green '96 SVX LSi (apparently notThe end of an era)

Member #2 in the Yahoo! club, been here since the beta-testing days. In dire need of a cheaper hobby.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:12 PM

Registered SVX

i would check the axle on that side. i had a similar noise and was convinced it was the rack but hooked up my chassis ear just in case and found out the grease had come out of the outer boot. boot looked ok but grease must had come around it. just an idea.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:53 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus View Post
I seemed to have developed over night this really annoying rattle like shaking noise. It seems to be coming from the front passengers side when I make a sharp right hand turn. The car still turns fine however and makes no noise at all when turning left. I looked underneath and checked the tires to see if something was rubbing, but that doesn't seem to be the case. And someone was recently under there checking out my suspension so that should be okay. Any ideas what this could be?
700 miles ago I checked out a 2004 Dodge 1500 4X4 with 75k, and the right front wheel bearing had a SLIGHT anount of play.
Last week they flat bedded the truck back to me and the roller bearings were falling out onto the floor!
It is driven in town, not fast or hard by a Lady banker...
I NEVER thought it would go to hell so fast!
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link

Last edited by svxfiles; 03-12-2011 at 12:35 AM.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:30 AM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus View Post
It sounds like an axle to me as well. If its only happening when turning to one side that pretty much rules the power steering pump out. Make sure you check the fluid level anyway to rule it out, It may possibly be sucking air in from the reservoir O-ring.

Does it make a clicking noise while turning and accelerating? Does it bind,or give you any feedback through the steering wheel?

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click

Last edited by SomethingElse; 02-27-2011 at 08:34 AM.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:08 PM
Homo Sapien Superior

So it turned out to be a bad hub and a bad bearing. SVXfiles took care of both and it handles very quietly now without the shake, rattle or creak it had before.