How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-23-2011, 12:32 AM

Registered SVX
Torque Converter/Pump shaft installation

Alright, my engine is in the air. Tranny is in the car. When I removed the engine, I did not disconnect the four bolts that hold the torque converter to the flex-plate. The engine came out, then I disconnected the TC from the flexplate.

I am able to remove the pump shaft from the transmission and put it back in. I do not know if it is seated fully into the transmission. How much should protrude when fully installed? I have about 3/4" from the end of the outer splines (from the transmission) to the beginning of the splines on the pump shaft.

I so far have been unsuccessful at installing the TC (obviously). I have a few questions that I am hoping will help me get my engine back in.

First, the pump shaft. How is it installed? I think I read something about a circlip holding it into something. The transmission? Or does it get installed and retained into the torque converter, then installed as an assembly?

Second, The torque converter should seat if I push it in while spinning it, right? So far I get it to seat twice, but I cannot get it to fully seat into trans or make it mate up with the starter.

Third, does it matter what gear my transmission is in? (P, N, D, etc...)

So, is it possible that the pump shaft is not in all the way? I imagine if it is not in, that would explain everything.

I have read everything I can find on this site about this and cannot find the information I am looking for, so any help I can get would be much appreciated. A step-by-step of how to put it back together from where it is at now would be awesome. Thanks in advance ahead of time, guys.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 01-23-2011, 07:36 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Re: Torque Converter/Pump shaft installation

Hello Cameron,

Here's a link to a page with a photo and explanation of the parts inside a basic torque converter so that you can visually match the parts in the torque converter with my explanation: http://www.tciauto.com/Products/Tech..._explained.asp

I think most of your problem stems from missidentifying one part. The small diameter shaft you are pulling in and out is not the pump shaft. It is the input shaft. It splines into inner members of the rotating assembly inside the transmission and splines into the turbine inside the torque converter. It is what transmits torque from the torque converter to the transmisison rotating assembly. I couldn't find a good picture of an input shaft sticking out a transmission/the transmisison's stator suppor which I'll explain next but maybe you can zoom in on this one enough to get the idea: http://www.ecutune.com/posts/4eat/DSC_4908.jpg

The splined tube that is part of the pump and doesn't rotate is the stator support. The sprag in the stator in the torque converter splines onto it. This is what holds the stator still when the sprag is locked so that the torque converter multiplies torque. Here's a picture of the stator support: http://www.ecutune.com/posts/4eat/assembly/DSC_4072.jpg

The pump shaft is the large OD tube with two big notches and a couple sealing rings on the end that inserts into the transmission pump and two big notches and a circlip on the end which connects to the torque converter case which is also called the impeller pump. This gives a direct mechanical connection between the engine and the transmission pump so that whenever the engine is running the pump is pumping. The two large notches on the pump shaft are what is mating with the rotor in the transmission pump. This is the part people often get wrong. If you have the pump shaft sitting up against the rotor instead of propperly splined into then your rotor will crack and your transmission will need an expensive rebuild. I couldn't find a picture of a pump shaft but unless you undid the circlip it is still hanging off your torque converter.

Here's a picture of a dissassembled transmission pump so you can see the two tabs on the inside of the vane pump which your pump shaft is mating two. When you get it lined up just right it slides in very easily. The pump shaft is a little wobbly until it is fully mated with the pump so it can take some jiggling and a lot of turning before you get it to mate up. It's probably little consolation to you but it is easy once you get a feel for. You just need to do it 20 more time http://www.ecutune.com/posts/4eat/assembly/DSC_4051.jpg
Old 01-23-2011, 07:52 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

The way I've found that works most times for getting the TC fully seated is this;

- get it in as far as you can (Like LAN mentioned it will still be slightly wobbly)
- use a screwdriver or small stick as a "crank handle" in one of the holes that the flexplate bolts to. Crank the TC clockwise a few rotations.
- grab the TC on both sides and slowly turn CCW wile lifting up and pushing in.
- repeat a few times until it seats itself.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:11 AM

Registered SVX

Ok, thanks guys. Looks like this is just another patience game. So the input shaft is supposed to be easily removed? I believe I have it seated fully. I suppose I will spend the next couple of hours turning, wiggling, and attempting to seat the torque converter.

Once I get the TC seated, I just have to bolt the engine up, and wait for some ATF hoses that are coming in tomorrow. Then I can start her up!

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 01-23-2011, 11:50 AM

Registered SVX

This thing is frustrating to no end

It is SO easy to get in up until this point. I took a couple of pictures of how the TC is currently seated. I am positive it is not in all the way. I can get it to seat twice, but there is definately a third set of splines that are not wanting to line up. I am just going to keep trying to get her to seat, but I am going to walk away for a few minutes.

Here's those pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TC.jpg (40.3 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg TC2.jpg (36.1 KB, 208 views)

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 01-23-2011, 02:27 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input

You can't push and turn at the same time because the pump turns very easily and will just turn with it.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:22 PM

Registered SVX

Ok, got her in! Took a coat hanger and rotated a piece inside to help make it a little easier going in, then a couple rotations later, BAM! Slid into place like a champ . That was a frustrating day.

Called Mike on the phone (LAN) and he said I should make sure both dowels were in place on the transmission. I only have one on the left side, so now I need to track another down and tap it into place before I continue. That's fine since I have parts coming in tomorrow anyways. I will call the dealership. I have a good feeling that they will be in stock for some reason.

So, mission successful. Hope I never have to do that again *remembers that a transmission swap may be in the near future*... Lets hope Mikes valve body and TCU will make the grade and my transmission doesn't fall apart under the new engine.

Thanks again for the help guys.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 01-24-2011, 04:14 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

The dowel will be the same as the one on current transmissions. You may be better off not telling them it's for an SVX.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:47 PM

Registered SVX

I went to home depot and got some 7/16" steel rod. Chucked it up in a drill and spun it while making passes on my bench grinder. Worked great. cleaned it up with some sandpaper and installed it. Slides easily into engine with little clearance, but needed to be gently tapped into tranny. I will call that perfect. Engines going in tonight.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 01-25-2011, 01:20 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Nicely done, way to save some $$.

So what exactly do those little dowels do? Anything other than just help line up the transmission when installing it?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 01-25-2011, 01:23 PM

Registered SVX

They hold the engine from twisting against the transmission when in use.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Balanced & Blueprinted