SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2008, 06:32 PM

Re: Coolant Leak Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
Well I took a fun trip to Carowinds today an amusement park. The trip there was fine about 150 miles. Needless to say I get there and I notice my pass side is covered in something. I assumed it was something from the road gave it no thought. Came to the car to leave and checked the oil and everything just to be sure. We take off onto I-485 to US 74. We get on to 74 and decide to get something to eat. After we order I pull forward (mind you my car was smoking the whole time which I thought was oil leak) I notice my engine temp is almost to red. I immediately cut the car off.

I'm very worried at this point because I'm a good 120 miles from home. I get my food and pull to a parking spot let the car cool some and decide to check the radiator and reserve . I couldnt see any coolant in the reserve. I grab a towel I had and took off the radiator cap (mind you I knew what was going to happen). The coolent spews everywhere. I'm pist at this point and have to walk a few blocks to autozone to get some anti freeze. Well I add about 1/2 of the gallon because it wasnt completely empty as it spewed out. I let it sit some more and then decide to start it up.

At this point the temp is sitting normal and I let it sit idling for 5 mins watching for a change in temp. I'm very worried as I leave to continue the 120 miles left. I made it home and as soon as I pulled up to my house it started smoking again. I have some sort of coolent leak on the pass side which is some how managing to get in the wheel well and spew on my side of my car.

Tomorrow I am going to check to see what I can find but anyone ever had anything happen like this? Or am I special. I am concerned and now I am carrying coolent along with oil and transmission fluid. Also I have never had a problem like this before. Thanks for any advice in advance.

The exact same thing happened to me but I have no idea what to do about it. The leak seems to be coming from somewhere deep inside and since Im not a pro at fixing cars Im probably going to have to empty my pockets to get it fixed. Not only that but the main hose that connects with the radiator cap splot and blasted out steam. I really hope this wont be an expensive fix, I can't longer than for 13 minutes before my car starts overheating.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:04 PM

When you have a leak, Find the leak and go from there!

Keith
Old 08-02-2008, 07:45 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

O.k Radiator was replaced with a One from Subaru. It hasnt overheated and seemed o.k. I fixed (hope) the trans leak which the rubber hose was dry rotting. Thinking back I am not sure so much i was loosing coolant as it came out (a good amount) when I opened the radiator. Water pump dosnt seem to be leaking. and I don't think its a HG just the crack in the radiator caused problems

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 08-02-2008, 08:57 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

I had a strong smell of coolant for the past couple of months but never lost any coolant. A couple of days ago I noticed the upper rad. hose was balloned out so much that it was rubbing on the power steering line so I push the p/s line away from it and coolant leaked as soon as the pressure was off the hose. I am 100% sure this was where my coolant smell was coming from. The crack was less than a 1/4 in. in a zig-zag shape but it wasn't cut the whole way through on some parts. The p/s hose must have let fumes out but no coolant.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress