Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-04-2006, 02:21 PM
halfsharkalligatorhalfman

Question: I only need the drivers side gasket. Subaruparts.com says Lh or Rh gaskets. Which is it? Is it Lh or Rh when looking at the engine, or sitting in the car?
Old 09-04-2006, 07:25 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
sitting in the car. LH = drivers side in US. If you ever can't remember then look at your rims.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myetball
I doubt anyone else has tried very many non-eom parts. For some reason most folks believe SVX's are some mystical special car that will only run on oem parts and dual flux capacitors.
Myetball,

What are you doing over here? I thought you were a Nissan guy.

I have the distinct displeasure of having to work on my Nissan parts manager's SVX and these boards are a great source of info for a Nissan tech trying to work on a mystical and special Subaru.

Mike
Old 10-30-2006, 11:05 AM

Send a message via MSN to pavanbabut Send a message via Yahoo to pavanbabut
Quote:
Originally Posted by blownb310
Myetball,

I have the distinct displeasure of having to work on my Nissan parts manager's SVX and these boards are a great source of info for a Nissan tech trying to work on a mystical and special Subaru.

Mike
Thts wht makes a SUBARU, a SUBARU.... though its not a lot fancy enough compared to others...

-Pavan.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavanbabut
That's what makes a SUBARU, a SUBARU.... though its not a lot fancy enough compared to others...

-Pavan.
LOL, I too have found that you can't get the driver's side valve cover off without jacking up the engine slightly. I guess I better get back out there and finish this job.

Pavan, an Alfa too? Man, you really go for those non mainstream cars don't you?
Old 10-30-2006, 11:23 AM

Send a message via MSN to pavanbabut Send a message via Yahoo to pavanbabut
Quote:
LOL, I too have found that you can't get the driver's side valve cover off without jacking up the engine slightly. I guess I better get back out there and finish this job.

Pavan, an Alfa too? Man, you really go for those non mainstream cars don't you?
You dont need to jack up the engine, if your hands are skinny like me. We (me and my buddy) did the valve covers job on our svxes and we didn't jack up the engine and ofcourse I took the job of removing the rear valve cover bolts on the driver side.. .

Yep, I love my Alfa as I do my SVX. I like the way how it delivers the power at all rpms and its stability at all speeds and especially the enigne note (you know wht I mean) . But I can feel the lack of AWD sometimes. But buying a coverleaf (AWD model of 164) is a nightmare for me (not less than $15k) and also to maintain .

-Pavan.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavanbabut
You dont need to jack up the engine, if your hands are skinny like me. We (me and my buddy) did the valve covers job on our svxes and we didn't jack up the engine and ofcourse I took the job of removing the rear valve cover bolts on the driver side..
Maybe the engine mounts have settled on this black '92 I've got here. There was not enough clearance on the front of the valve cover to remove it. I'm lucky, I'm working with a lift, so it was easy to remove the single 14mm left lower motor mount nut and put a jackstand under the left ex. manifold to raise it up a bit. Then the valve cover came right off. I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this in this thread yet or not, but I put a dab of fresh gasket maker in the same half dozen or so spots that the factory did before I reinstalled the valve cover.

Mike
Old 10-31-2006, 07:19 PM
Mr. Inappropriate

Quote:
Myetball,

Mike
Well, my old B11 is in Nissan heaven now. I still have that pristine CA18DE and am now dreaming for restoring an old Datsun roadster and dropping in the CA. I still stop by the Nissan forum from time to time.