Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-29-2006, 06:32 PM

Check Engine Light

Okay I am now offically frustrated. Spent the last 48 hours installing a new tranny in the 92 and was happy to be running again. The first test run was a disaster. The drive shaft was hitting the heat shield, the front backing plate was hitting the rotor and spilled tranny fluid on the exhaust smoked things up real good. To top things off the ABS light and Check Engine light came on. Got back to the shop disconected the battery, tweaked and repaired the obvious, checked all my connections Oxy Sens etc, and fired things up again. Everything seams perfect went for another run and things seamed fine. Cleaned up the shop got ready to leave and started the SVX, the darn Check Engine light came on again. I am ready to scream. Who said working on your own car was theraputic should be shot. Now what?? Any ideas??

Help......
Old 07-29-2006, 06:48 PM

Its a 92, pull the code from the ECU, and go from there.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:30 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Any updates?

Code checking instructions can be found on http://svx-iw.com in the SVXipedia.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
Any updates?

Code checking instructions can be found on http://svx-iw.com in the SVXipedia.
Thanks David,

I found this link by searching around this site and the Checking Code Instructions were great. Also see the site has tons of great info.

Thanks for pointing it ouit tho, very helpful to us newbies. (Didn't even know you could change the temp readout between F & C till I saw this site.

Is this your site??

Thanks again.

Rod
Old 08-01-2006, 06:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getndrty
Okay I am now offically frustrated. Spent the last 48 hours installing a new tranny in the 92 and was happy to be running again. The first test run was a disaster. The drive shaft was hitting the heat shield, the front backing plate was hitting the rotor and spilled tranny fluid on the exhaust smoked things up real good. To top things off the ABS light and Check Engine light came on. Got back to the shop disconected the battery, tweaked and repaired the obvious, checked all my connections Oxy Sens etc, and fired things up again. Everything seams perfect went for another run and things seamed fine. Cleaned up the shop got ready to leave and started the SVX, the darn Check Engine light came on again. I am ready to scream. Who said working on your own car was theraputic should be shot. Now what?? Any ideas??

Help......
working on your own car is theraputic... you just have to understand that after finishing a big job like a tranny you will ALWAYS have small issuses to clean up before you are done... so take a deep breath and relax... you just managed to pull a svx tranny out and put it back in in under 2 days..
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 08-02-2006, 03:13 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Is this your site??
I designed the site but all the data is provided by everyone here. The only way it can grow is from submissions from everyone here.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Okay I am now officially frustrated. Spent the last 48 hours installing a new tranny in the 92 and was happy to be running again. The first test run was a disaster. The drive shaft was hitting the heat shield, the front backing plate was hitting the rotor and spilled tranny fluid on the exhaust smoked things up real good. To top things off the ABS light and Check Engine light came on. Got back to the shop disconnected the battery, tweaked and repaired the obvious, checked all my connections Oxy Sens etc, and fired things up again. Everything seams perfect went for another run and things seamed fine. Cleaned up the shop got ready to leave and started the SVX, the darn Check Engine light came on again. I am ready to scream. Who said working on your own car was therapeutic should be shot. Now what?? Any ideas??

Help......
Okay so I check the codes and I get code 92 (knock sensors) but here is the kicker.

The check engine light goes out and I can't clear the computer. The car runs fine and I think everything is okay. but surprise, surprise the light comes back on again - same codes - and then goes out AGAIN. The car runs great and I am not getting a check engine light - so do I worry and change the knock sensors or do I just sit back and see what happens. Any idea what a knock sensor is worth?? Would regular gas effect the knock sensor?

Ideas??
Old 08-15-2006, 04:35 PM
Meow!

Quote:
Okay so I check the codes and I get code 92 (knock sensors) but here is the kicker.

The check engine light goes out and I can't clear the computer. The car runs fine and I think everything is okay. but surprise, surprise the light comes back on again - same codes - and then goes out AGAIN. The car runs great and I am not getting a check engine light - so do I worry and change the knock sensors or do I just sit back and see what happens. Any idea what a knock sensor is worth?? Would regular gas effect the knock sensor?

Ideas??
I assume you meant code 22 (RH knocksensor)

You may want to take a look at the following thread for more information:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34751