SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2006, 01:11 PM
(This account is in rememberance of)Duct Tape Man

Send a message via AIM to Yoda3000
Need help with Sway Bar Bushings

I purchased the front and rear urethane sway bar bushings from Motorsport Whearhouse. The rears were a piece of cake but the fronts are giving me hell.

I got the old ones off and the new ones on (around the sway bars), but since they are so much larger than the stock ones I am having trouble getting the braces over them and getting them to line up with the holes so I can bolt them
in. Does anyone have any advice? As it is I'm not sure i'll be able to do it, I might have to put the stockers back on.

I keep trying to go outside but it's raining cats and dogs right now. (At noon! In New Mexico!)

Early deceased SVXWN Member
July 1986 -- February 2007

Michael - Duct Tape Man

1992 Burgundy SVX LS-L, 138K: Brembo Slotted/Drilled Rotors, B&M Tranny Cooler and Filter, SmallCar Shift Kit

1992 Burgundy SVX LS-L, 123K: DEAD FROM FATAL HAIL DAMAGE, Parting out so PM me if you need something.

"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything" - Fight Club
"This is not my life, this is not my home, this is not me. I HATE THIS!" - Static X
Old 08-01-2006, 01:22 PM

Seriously, WTF

Michael - Duct Tape Man

1992 Burgundy SVX LS-L, 138K: Brembo Slotted/Drilled Rotors, B&M Tranny Cooler and Filter, SmallCar Shift Kit

1992 Burgundy SVX LS-L, 123K: DEAD FROM FATAL HAIL DAMAGE, Parting out so PM me if you need something.

"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything" - Fight Club
"This is not my life, this is not my home, this is not me. I HATE THIS!" - Static X
Old 08-01-2006, 06:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
LOL thats kind of funny! hummm not much dont have any experence with those aftermarkets... but i know they can be done alot of people on this site have before... did you try to line the braket up as best you can and at least get the bolts threaded in then wrench them in
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 08-01-2006, 06:21 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
The new ones aren't bigger than stock, they just don't deform like the stock ones. Can you at least get the bolts started? If so tighten them to the point just before they start to buckle. After driving for a while (months?) check them again to see if they can be tightened further.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:49 PM

I actually gave up and used the Stock braces with the new bushings.

The brackets are about half the width of the new ones (the new ones ARE wider) but I think it should work okay. They seem tight enough, although I was told I'd need some sort of spacer. As they are the bushings were slightly larger and I had to use vice grips and pliers to get the holes to line up.

First driving impressions, I don't notice a difference. I didn't think I would, but I'm becoming a pretty serious auto-xer and every bit helps.

Well, thanks for trying to help me anyway.

Michael - Duct Tape Man

Old 08-02-2006, 03:21 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda3000
First driving impressions, I don't notice a difference. I didn't think I would, but I'm becoming a pretty serious auto-xer and every bit helps.
I find that steering response at higher speeds has improved since the install.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:04 PM

Get one side started, then using needle nose vice grips clamp the other sided down a bit so you can get the other bolt started.