How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 08-19-2003, 04:00 PM
JLittell

High Speed Internet Access

OK! So I'm not like the rest of you who have a quick DSL/ High Speed Cable connection from your homes. Me? I'm on STILL the typical dial-up due to the availability of High Speed access in my local home area. I've looked at several options and not one will work for us at home (Satellite is not really an option due to the installation prices and contracts!). Besides seems as if these wireless high speed Internet companies seem to be ‘fly-by-nights’! No offense to those who believe or use them!.. So I was looking at this NetZero High Speed Dial-up.. Have any heard of this high speed dial-up service? Is it worth $14.95 a month as advertised? (I pay $9.95 through Worldnet). Would I be wasting my time? My local cable provider (Comcast) is in the process of 'upgrading' in the near future (I have been told this for 2 years now!). I don't have a lot of options and running out of patience! I wanted to hear what other options I might have over this damn SLOW dial-up modem!!

No, living at work is not an option!

Last edited by JLittell; 08-19-2003 at 04:21 PM.
Old 08-19-2003, 04:23 PM
rcraven32

Have you looked into wirless connections out there. We have them from every water tower and cell tower. But the Midwest is flat. I have a few friends getting 512k on it.

Try contacting www.Dishnetwork.com. They provide satelllite internet. It used to be you dialed out but downloaded from their signal, but I think I read that you can send and recive with their new equipment.

Finally call your Phone company and put pressure on them to get DSL. That is how we finally got DSL to my house. Trust me if they know there is a demand they will find a way to get your money.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-19-2003, 04:36 PM
JLittell

Sure! I can get it through Dishnetwork..(Earthlink) They want $300 for set up fees, $600 for equipment, and $70 a month for service strapped to a 12 month contract. RIDICILOUS!!! I'm rested an ant on a hill with 3.5 million other ants. My phone company (Qwest) has no interest my Internet desires no matter how many times I call them. They say they are working on it...Yeah right!
Old 08-19-2003, 04:51 PM
Subaru Swapper

Send a message via AIM to AFBeefcake
I'm with you. I to can only get dial-up or satelllite.
Directway is 2 way satellite but its $700 and like $70 a month for 400 KBps max.

I think that NetZero High Speed Dial-up is BS there is no way to make a standed modem connect faster then 56KBPS using one phone line. now shotgun modems that could get you speeds up.
Old 08-19-2003, 05:04 PM
rcraven32

Our Cable company screwed around and gave us the run around like that for years then when Iowa telecom got the DSL in the next week They ran all new fiber for the Cable. They had the entire town done in 3 weeks.

It just takes one of these stupid companies to see the other doing it and BAM they all have it. I would do some looking for a wirless connection.

Surely someone out there is puttling them on towers. My company is using a wirless connection at 4mbps over a wirless connection.

The ISP runs off a Sprint T1 backbone then splits it out on sectors. The make a killing off everyone surrounding. But it is still cheaper than DSL or our own T1.

Hell The iowa Lottery runs off the dame technology. They send up to 10 miles. It eliminated the cost of all those individual phone lines and sped up their ability to sell multiple tickets.

Anyway that does not help you, but it is a little background on it and surely if we are using it out here in the middle of no where they have to have it out there.
Old 08-19-2003, 05:23 PM
JLittell

Yes I get that too!!! "Yes, Sir. We will be running our fiber optic cables in your area REALLY soon"...Again, That's been said for the last few years...

We had Comcast upgrading the cable in my neighborhood about a month ago for about 3 weeks. They were digging and had several trenches...It about time.. so I thought!!!! So I called Comcast and they couldn't even tell me why they were digging up in my neighborhood?? No one at Comcast company had a clue as to why they were out there in the first place?? Today, I find out that Comcast was installing digital cable and HDTV technology..but NO Internet access!! The whole thing just irritates the hell out of me!! I would love to kick these people in the knees! Internet access demand vs. HDTV technology demand?? Morons!
Old 08-19-2003, 06:47 PM
Hater

check out this cool site: http://us.mcafee.com/root/speedometer.asp

i just got 1010.56 Kbps! (DSL) not too shabby.

i tried it at work and pegged the meter at over 3200. i guess we are on a T3 there (phone company ).

actually, Verizon is planning on rolling out FTTP (fiber to the premises) within the next few years. hard to believe the greedy-ass executives are going to actually do it.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 08-19-2003, 09:14 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
Quote:
Originally posted by AFBeefcake
I'm with you. I to can only get dial-up or satelllite.
Directway is 2 way satellite but its $700 and like $70 a month for 400 KBps max.

I think that NetZero High Speed Dial-up is BS there is no way to make a standed modem connect faster then 56KBPS using one phone line. now shotgun modems that could get you speeds up.

I have friends that live in colchester and some of them have cable there. Didn't it just come to your area? They've had it for about 6 months now.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 08-20-2003, 11:05 AM
JLittell

TE1221, You have a '67 Mustang? Just curious to see what it looks like?
Old 08-20-2003, 11:45 AM
Subaru Swapper

Send a message via AIM to AFBeefcake
only one half of colchester can get cable and dsl. I'm on the other side and don't cable tv.
Old 08-22-2003, 07:09 AM
RRX

Quote:
Originally posted by JLittell
Yes I get that too!!! "Yes, Sir. We will be running our fiber optic cables in your area REALLY soon"...Again, That's been said for the last few years...

We had Comcast upgrading the cable in my neighborhood about a month ago for about 3 weeks. They were digging and had several trenches...It about time.. so I thought!!!! So I called Comcast and they couldn't even tell me why they were digging up in my neighborhood?? No one at Comcast company had a clue as to why they were out there in the first place?? Today, I find out that Comcast was installing digital cable and HDTV technology..but NO Internet access!! The whole thing just irritates the hell out of me!! I would love to kick these people in the knees! Internet access demand vs. HDTV technology demand?? Morons!
LoL.. I do tech support for their high speed internet. The local market doesn't post a message about each job that they do in the feild, so its impossible for someone to know why they were out unless they called the dispatch office....Ive been wating 3 years to get free phone service along with my cable and internet..I dont think i'll ever be serviceable.
Old 08-22-2003, 11:00 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
I am not sure about everywhere else but COMCAST sucks in my area. I have all three of their services, digital phone, Cable and Cable Modem. If you get CM alone without Cable, it cost more than if you get it with Cable? What kind of crap is that?

Anyways, their cable modem connection has been really slow (ISDN speed) and it took times to correctly re-install my cable phone. It used to be a lot better with AT&T. I know they are the same but things are quicker then. Customer Service is a lot better with Comcast though.

L
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 08-22-2003, 09:24 PM
JLittell

Thinking about this some more...Don't airlines/ airplanes get high speed internet access these days?...And I can't get it at my house??
Old 08-22-2003, 10:25 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:
Originally posted by JLittell
Thinking about this some more...Don't airlines/ airplanes get high speed internet access these days?...And I can't get it at my house??
It depends on the airline/plane and the class. BA,Swiss, Austrian, KLM, SAS, Singapore etc had that for a while now but I belive you have to be in First Class to get it free and Business class pass. have to pay for it. People in the back just get the pay per call phone and free drinks.

L
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 09-24-2003, 04:44 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
We do tech support/billing for both AT&T WorldNet as well as Comcast here in our building.

I'll let you know that if you're paying $9.95 (10 hours/free tech) or $10.95 (75 hours/charge tech) for WorldNet then you're on the wrong price plan. Provided you use AT&T for local and/or long distance there is a $11.95 plan (unlimited hours/free tech).

The obvious truth here is that the size of WorldNet tech is shrinking and Comcast tech is growing. Many Comcast techs are former WorldNet techs.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: