SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-04-2001, 11:52 AM
SVX Black Belt Master

Talking

I've been meaning to post this for awhile - just never seemed to get around to it. I sure hope none of you reading this are dead on my account.

I learned this from my older brother (NOT a car nut) several years ago, and though it took a little getting used to, I don't drive any other way now, if I can help it.

To completely avoid blind spots: Lean out toward the driver's side window, if fact, let your head rest against the window, and adjust your driver's side mirror so that you can barely see the side of your car. Now, lean the other way, until your head is as near to the center of the car as you can get, and adjust the passenger side mirror the same way. (The SVX actually won't go far enough - many cars won't - but adjust it out as far as possible.) Now center the inside mirror the way you normally would.

Now drive. You may have to make minor adjustments - mostly to height - but notice that when a car passes you on your left, as his image leaves your inside (center) mirror, it appears in your outside mirror. As the image leaves the outside mirror, it appears in your peripheral vision (unless you have tunnel vision). It only takes a quick glance in the mirrors and through the side glass to immediately know your position relative to the closest traffic. The same applies to passing, but (duh) on the other side.

Some (small minded) people hate this technique, but it's saved my butt more than once. My wife refuses to drive this way. (Hmmm. Do y'think maybe I should have said that?) Ahhh, there's the exception to every rule.

Steve
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>