Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Competition Motorsports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2006, 01:43 AM

Bill I spoke to Jamie about my set up today mentioned that you had a heap of questions and his advise was to talk to the guy you are dealing with over there as he is a really good guys. I figure he will ask Jamie for you. As regrades spring rates Matts car has 275 # on the front and mine has 400 # I think you will find the 275 are best for your job. I travel on unknown roads at speed and some times the car take a hell of a pounding.
If I understand you right you are thinking of using the existing springs I won't as the variable rate ones Jamie supply make the car stay very firm. Sorry I not much help.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:40 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner
Bill I spoke to Jamie about my set up today mentioned that you had a heap of questions and his advise was to talk to the guy you are dealing with over there as he is a really good guys. I figure he will ask Jamie for you. As regrades spring rates Matts car has 275 # on the front and mine has 400 # I think you will find the 275 are best for your job. I travel on unknown roads at speed and some times the car take a hell of a pounding.
If I understand you right you are thinking of using the existing springs I won't as the variable rate ones Jamie supply make the car stay very firm. Sorry I not much help.
Tony

Tony,
I've been working with Mark Moore of DMS North America and, while he's been very helpful, he's not an engineer and hasn't been able to answer the questions I asked you to ask Jamie. I think the KST (single progressive) springs are the best for most of us (autoX and street) which is fortunate, as the 40mm pieces only come with the single progressive springs. While I really would like to have double adjustable dampers, you have to step up to the 50mm pieces to get this feature and I'm not sure I'm ready to spend that kind of $$ at this time. This is why I'm trying to find out what the relationship is between bump and rebound on the 40mm pieces (i.e., it might just be right for my needs - fingers crossed )
Thanks for your help on this!
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 12-05-2006, 12:09 AM

Bill as it is difficult for us to ask questions that I don't really understand I suggest you go to DMS web site in Australia and ask Jamie by sending a email he is sure to help you out.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:48 PM

Registered SVX
So...time for another update (although, no pictures at this stage...they'll come later).

For a quick rehash, we didn't finish the first event due to an electrical problem. Found the problem almost straight away () when I realised the O2 sensor wires were exposed, and touching on the body...bummer.

After disconnecting them, here's what I've been working on lately. My next event is the Rally of Canberra (www.roc.com.au) which is on the first weekend in June.

Here's the list...not much to do.
  • Fix wiring problems
  • Fit floor mounted pedal box (http://www.tiltonracing.com/content....list2&id=8&m=b) to give me adjustable brake bias
  • Fit uprated engine
  • Fit Megasquirt standalone ECU
  • Fit roof vent for cabin cooling
  • Fit heavy duty front strut mounts
  • Change steering rack
  • Fit HID lights

The biggest drama has been the pedal box and the engine...however, both are coming together finally. The pedal box required some serious modifications to fit, but that's resolved...the engine just had issues.

However, with both, we'll be on a winner I reckon.

Three and a half weeks to go...and counting!!

Cheers,
Matt
Old 05-07-2007, 04:55 PM

Registered SVX
The heads have had some minor flow work done, and now flow 170cfm at 10" of water at 12mm of valve lift...that's pretty impressive and via some simple maths, provides the potential for over 350hp...realistically however, I'm aiming for 330hp I think.

Instead of 12mm of lift, we're running 10.4mm at 230 duration (at 0.050) for inlet and 10.2 with 235 duration for exhaust. All this with bolt in WRX valvetrain and ground and welded cams (cost $800AUD)...so easy, so cheap. No custom valves, no custom anything except a small shim.

Compression has been increased to 11.5:1...engine analyser has produced some STUPID numbers with those modifications at 8000rpm...check the attachment. Reality will be significantly less.

I hope to have it dyno'd next week, so I'll confirm then.

I've put a Walbro 255lph pump in and 370cc injectors out of a Legacy...all looking good so far.

Matt
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ported head vs std head.pdf (5.5 KB, 462 views)
Old 05-07-2007, 07:14 PM

matt i want to have your baby

just kidding
well...mostly........

i'll trade one of mine though!!
hehehe

can u provide further insight regarding this small shim you wrote of?

i have access to wrx parts for tolerably un-reasonable prices and now you've got me scheming even more mods......i WAS just going to drop in a wrx powertrain complete.......but i'd so love to keep the eg33..........

rob

92 ebony 4.44's rock !!
Old 05-07-2007, 07:22 PM

Registered SVX
The cam base circle, using the standard SVX buckets, but gutted, means we need a shim made of about 2.5mm in height that will sit on the valve stem between the bucket and the valve...looks like a very teeny tiny bucket that sits over the valve stem. They are about $7AUD each to get made.

M
Old 05-08-2007, 04:56 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynomatt
Compression has been increased to 11.5:1...engine analyser has produced some STUPID numbers with those modifications at 8000rpm...check the attachment. Reality will be significantly less.
What did you do for this?

Everything is looking good.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:50 PM

Registered SVX
G'day Dave...compression increase is via head skimming.

In order to do this, I've also got made some different offset ground pins to make the cam gears a little bit adjustable to make up for the movement.

Matt
Old 05-08-2007, 05:56 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
what are you doing about intake alignment??

Tom
Old 05-08-2007, 06:13 PM

Registered SVX
Tom, the heads got a skim of about 1mm each (resulting in a cc reduction of about 6cc's), so we are just touching up the edges of the manifold. It's not a perfect, mirror smooth alignment, but for our purposes, it's close enough.

M

PS, it's actually 11:1, not 11:5.1 sorry.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:27 PM

Registered SVX
double post sorry
Old 05-08-2007, 06:28 PM
Maniac modifier

to be honest, I think it is wasting your time by increasing the C/R without upgrading the pistons. Looking at the stock pistons I feel these are the weak points of our engines... I have had 2 motor in which I lost pistons, both of which were run hard and at high RPMS. I feel running an even higher C/R and higher rpms will cause nothing but problems.

Tom
Old 05-08-2007, 06:30 PM

Registered SVX
Fair comments...I've got access to a set of JE's which I might explore...they're just standard dimensions.

Matt
Old 05-08-2007, 06:32 PM
Maniac modifier

ur running water injection right? I would say get JE to make some higher compression pistons and run a 12:1 C/R and water or alc.

Tom