How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2016, 11:09 AM

Trouble finding new tires with recent mfg. date & tire comments

I have searched for tire discussion and didn't see anything relevant so here goes:

I have just replaced two tires and it was a hassle (@ discount tire) to find find any name brand tires 225/50/16 that were not "special order", let alone with a mfg date fresher than a year.

I would say that this might be is because our tire size isn't used on too many new cars any more? OTOH the same chain had a hard time finding me 4 Camry tires with the same recent mfg dates; but for my wife's Outback no sweat 4 Michelins almost fresh from the factory. So I've learned to inspect the tires before they are installed.

I ended up settling for Continental Extreme Contact DWS, that had to be ordered from the Continental warehouse in Ga. I have liked them in the past, I find them to be quiet which is my #1. These were mfg one year ago, and in the interest of getting this over with I took them. Had already sent back another pair that were already 2 years old.

Any comments? Do any vendors tend to have fresher stock, or is there a brand in our size that sells more than the others, and would be easier to get in a fresh mfg date?
Old 07-06-2016, 11:18 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Trouble finding new tires with recent mfg. date & tire comments

I havent had trouble getting tires for the SVX. I just ordered a set of BF Goodrich g-Force Sport Comp-2 from TireBuyer for a decent price. Speaking of the DWS set you just bought. I hope you got the DWS 06 that is the new version. I am leaning towards a set of those for the daily driver.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:37 AM

Yes they are DWS 06.

How are your BFG's for quietness?
Old 07-06-2016, 12:12 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

I don't see any problem with a tire which is a few years old. They're stored indoors at a pretty constant temperature with no exposure to UV.
I burn through tires pretty fast so they don't usually make it to their 5th birthday before they're bald.
This whole tire age frenzy seems to have popped up in the last couple of years. Before that nobody really gave it any thought. If they weren't bald or cracked, no problem.
My brother had a set of Firestone tires which were 25+ years old but stored indoors. He ran them on a city car which never was driven fast for a few years. The rubber was so hard they lasted forever but they never failed.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:19 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsube View Post
Yes they are DWS 06.

How are your BFG's for quietness?
I am coming from Bridgestone Potenza RE-71. The BFGs are not bad but I miss the responsiveness of the RE-71 the most. Noise is less noticeable on the BFGs.

I have barely broken them in so its still hard to say with 100% certainty.