How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-01-2017, 01:01 PM
Some Random Weirdo

Re: Just Imported the Unicorn 1991 Subaru Alcyone L with 4WS into the USA

To be clear, your screenshot says one of two things.

He was either joking or he was going to take the $500 you were paying him back into the pot to get to 65 tickets so you could sell your car. You know what that means? He would have done all of that for FREE because per his own words he could not win. You are a dickhead.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:21 PM
The best Damn Lance Corporal

Send a message via AIM to chris92svxlsl

No matter what I say you are gonna white knight for the guy . It's pretty sad and obvious. As soon as John didn't receive the money it was over .

No one cares what you say because you are in bed with the guy. It's pretty obvious at this point.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:37 PM

I had to dust off the old account here, after all.

Look guys. It's a simple thing. $6500 is the single cheapest 25 year legal RHD JDM import of any kind that I have seen of any RHD JDM import ever, not just SVX's, and most of the cars in the $7-9k ballpark are haggard rusted out piles of fart stucco.

From the outset, he imported that SVX to enjoy it for a bit and then break even. Yet this whole community of folks just talked a bunch of smack about a $6500 price tag with zero cognizance of the costs involved in a legal import, or the value it represents, being such a low mile and well kept example of an AWS car.

Given that Chris and I both spend a great deal of time with a lot of other cars and their enthusiast bases, we're seeing this from a broader perspective and frankly the fact that people weren't jumping over each other trying to buy it for $6500 outright was confusing as hell. An S13 with a CA18DE (that's a non turbo 1.8L) pulls an easy $9k in the same condition as this SVX. An S13!!!

But after months of this SVX sitting, and people henpecking at the price, the raffle idea got forwarded and once again, people griped and moaned about the price and people not even interested in really dropping $100 for a ticket dove into the weeds to complain about specifics and pedantic minutiae that honestly DID NOT INVOLVE THEM BECAUSE THEY WEREN'T BUYING A TICKET ANYWAY.

Then all that time, henpecking about asking price, griping about the raffle, rules, etc.. and what 7? tickets got sold?

Why should Chris give a sloppy wet fart what you all think? He's the one who put the money into this, he's the one that dealt with all the BS importing it, which as his friend I can tell you that SVX was a mother****er to get sorted out, and now he's thanked for that effort by getting a bunch of static about pointless crap like you're owed something.
The only thing owed to anyone is a refund of the existing ticket sales. Full stop. Chris didn't even handle that AFAIK, so Chris isn't even the real problem here. So stop pretending like he is.

As a community, all you did was collectively prove that people with connections, drive, and resources to get cool parts or import cool cars are WASTING THEIR TIME trying to serve you guys.

Same thing happened with Zach and the ECUMaster stuff. Same with ProEFI - every time a real hitter in the aftermarket industry courts the idea of an SVX product it's met with resentment and text-wall autistic shrieking asking why a good EMS has to cost more than $200. That's a good way to drive away talent and leave you all in this bubble of wonder that regards basic wiring and engine management issues as if they were black magic, only to be solved by rarified wizards and anointed saints.

I 100% stand by what I said about the cruise ship. Every week the same 'lets do a baby turbo' thread shows up, every week the same 'how do I 5spd for $300' thread shows up, and it seems that when it comes to bona fide technical expertise, the SVX community has the collective memory of a goldfish, and dismisses sound advice from experienced perspectives with alarming regularity, and as such, stays stuck in this same relentless cycle of nothing happening.

You all can collectively decide that you want these SVX's to live and gain aftermarket support to keep them on the road as a future classic - which make no mistake, means you need to be ready to happily spend some money with aftermarket providers, and get serious and technical about DIY stuff.

Or you can stay the path you're on and keep being shrill, deliberately ignorant cheapskates about everything and watch them fade into worthless oblivion over the next decade.

I was tempted myself, out of nostalgia for the SVXtasy project my friend Sam and I loved so much so many years ago, to buy that SVX from Chris.
Now I'd just as soon see its pieces fed into a crusher after bouncing it around an explosives range with a MK19 and some AT4's.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:57 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Geez let it go, it was a good idea. It didn't work out as expected, move on.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 06-01-2017, 02:07 PM

Registered SVX

While I also wish the price of these cars was higher, You have to be realistic the S13 and other cars are worth more because that is what people are willing to pay, the SVX is not because people are not willing to pay for it. I am surprised it is still valued at the $4k mark for my 92 in stock condition, I wont sell mine for under $6k and so I probably wont be selling lol. which is actually fine with me I would rather keep it.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:57 PM

"Future Classic".. Yup... that kinda describes it.

The concept that the unicorn won't get snapped up at $6,500.00 USD is beyond mind boggling. For it's rarity ( one of 1200 with all wheel steering ), condition and milage, you'd think that it would easily fetch twice or three times that.

I came out of the beer store last week and a guy was standing there staring at my car. We chatted for a minute, I answered a couple of questions, and he said " That must be worth a pretty penny".. I said " No, not really" .. A bit of silence, as I could see him trying to decide whether to ask, or not.. So I just told him outright.. " It's only worth about $4,500.00 (CDN ), on a good day.

"What's wrong with it?"

"Absolutely nothing. Everything works fine."

"Why isn't it worth more than that?"

" I wish I knew, but that's all any of these is pretty much worth"

" That's a shame, it's beautiful"

That pretty well sums it up, doesn't it?
Old 06-02-2017, 12:23 AM
Some Random Weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckless View Post
I had to dust off the old account here, after all.

Look guys. It's a simple thing. $6500 is the single cheapest 25 year legal RHD JDM import of any kind that I have seen of any RHD JDM import ever, not just SVX's, and most of the cars in the $7-9k ballpark are haggard rusted out piles of fart stucco.

From the outset, he imported that SVX to enjoy it for a bit and then break even. Yet this whole community of folks just talked a bunch of smack about a $6500 price tag with zero cognizance of the costs involved in a legal import, or the value it represents, being such a low mile and well kept example of an AWS car.

Given that Chris and I both spend a great deal of time with a lot of other cars and their enthusiast bases, we're seeing this from a broader perspective and frankly the fact that people weren't jumping over each other trying to buy it for $6500 outright was confusing as hell. An S13 with a CA18DE (that's a non turbo 1.8L) pulls an easy $9k in the same condition as this SVX. An S13!!!

But after months of this SVX sitting, and people henpecking at the price, the raffle idea got forwarded and once again, people griped and moaned about the price and people not even interested in really dropping $100 for a ticket dove into the weeds to complain about specifics and pedantic minutiae that honestly DID NOT INVOLVE THEM BECAUSE THEY WEREN'T BUYING A TICKET ANYWAY.

Then all that time, henpecking about asking price, griping about the raffle, rules, etc.. and what 7? tickets got sold?

Why should Chris give a sloppy wet fart what you all think? He's the one who put the money into this, he's the one that dealt with all the BS importing it, which as his friend I can tell you that SVX was a mother****er to get sorted out, and now he's thanked for that effort by getting a bunch of static about pointless crap like you're owed something.
The only thing owed to anyone is a refund of the existing ticket sales. Full stop. Chris didn't even handle that AFAIK, so Chris isn't even the real problem here. So stop pretending like he is.

As a community, all you did was collectively prove that people with connections, drive, and resources to get cool parts or import cool cars are WASTING THEIR TIME trying to serve you guys.

Same thing happened with Zach and the ECUMaster stuff. Same with ProEFI - every time a real hitter in the aftermarket industry courts the idea of an SVX product it's met with resentment and text-wall autistic shrieking asking why a good EMS has to cost more than $200. That's a good way to drive away talent and leave you all in this bubble of wonder that regards basic wiring and engine management issues as if they were black magic, only to be solved by rarified wizards and anointed saints.

I 100% stand by what I said about the cruise ship. Every week the same 'lets do a baby turbo' thread shows up, every week the same 'how do I 5spd for $300' thread shows up, and it seems that when it comes to bona fide technical expertise, the SVX community has the collective memory of a goldfish, and dismisses sound advice from experienced perspectives with alarming regularity, and as such, stays stuck in this same relentless cycle of nothing happening.

You all can collectively decide that you want these SVX's to live and gain aftermarket support to keep them on the road as a future classic - which make no mistake, means you need to be ready to happily spend some money with aftermarket providers, and get serious and technical about DIY stuff.

Or you can stay the path you're on and keep being shrill, deliberately ignorant cheapskates about everything and watch them fade into worthless oblivion over the next decade.

I was tempted myself, out of nostalgia for the SVXtasy project my friend Sam and I loved so much so many years ago, to buy that SVX from Chris.
Now I'd just as soon see its pieces fed into a crusher after bouncing it around an explosives range with a MK19 and some AT4's.
If everything you said was accurate (much of it is grossly wrong and uninformed, I'll get to that) does that give him the right to treat people like ****? If multiple people are saying you are being an asshole then more than likely they are right. During the whole process he made people uncomfortable to do business with him. Several people with money actually blocked him and wanted nothing to do with the raffle based direction on his interactions with the group. He submarined his own raffle.

Even if you are OK with his attitude because you are his friend how can you excuse the fact he came on here and outright lied? He said, point blank, that Jamie was going to try to win the car and alter the outcome. He said he had proof of this via a screen shot. The screen shot he provided Jamie literally said he is not eligible. In fact it showed Jamie was going to give the ****ing money back to him in the form of tickets to get to 65 so the community could win the car and that meant he was doing all of this for FREE! You can read this on the previous page yourself. He said this on here yesterday. There is no getting around that. It's wrong to lie about people, period.

Since you want to give us a "broader prospective" I'll give you a detailed perspective on the SVX market in 2017. Basically what it boils down to is Chris did not understand the market for these cars. If he would have asked prior to buying this with the intentions of selling it shortly most of us would have warned him about it. A simple Craigslist search of local and including nearby areas or Facebook Market place within 100 miles would have told a lot. I'm not saying his car is not worth $6,500, it is, but the value of these cars are not there.

The majority of them sell for $500-$1,500, usually with failed stock 4EATs in them. Nicer ones typically sell for $3-$4K with rare exceptions. I am not saying that is a good thing, but it's reality. There are some really nice ones that sit for a lot longer then they should. Why?

The larger reason why is a large % of those cheaper ones are harvested for the EG33 and wiring harness. I don't bash people who do swaps. It's their car, time, and money. It does have a major impact on the value of the cars. There are several of them trying to be GIVEN AWAY FOR FREE with no engine. People want the engine to be the next Andy Forrest or put it in their project. It destroys the value of the car. People are going to have to source an EZ30D soon if they want these cars to run.

When some guy pays $800 for a car what do you think he is going to invest into it in terms of aftermarket? It's why you see all of those threads. Very few people have put a lot of money into these. A large part of the aftermarket community issues stem from the vendors not understanding this. You are not going to make a lot on people per item. Make less expensive items that are easy to produce and you will get some money from people. Big-ticket items aren't going to sell to the masses for these cars. If vendors don't understand the demographics then they cannot market to the customers. It's basic stuff.

You just may get your wish because he is going to struggle to sell that car. I hope it goes to a buyer that appreciates it, but it may take a while. Bottom line is he did not know the market he got into, took it out on the community, and then decided to libel a guy because he was bitter about his mistake of not understanding the market. It's on him. People can buy more expensive cars, but they can't buy class and he has shown he lacks that here.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:31 AM
Some Random Weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris92svxlsl View Post
No matter what I say you are gonna white knight for the guy . It's pretty sad and obvious. As soon as John didn't receive the money it was over .

No one cares what you say because you are in bed with the guy. It's pretty obvious at this point.
It's obvious that you lied. It's here for everyone to read. What's sad is you think it is OK to be ****ty to a community because you were uninformed about the purchase you made. You played yourself. It's on you. People tried to help you but you can't help yourself. Mr. International Car Buyer had no clue that the SVX is way under market now and it difficult to sell for what should be a reasonable price. You ****ed up. I would be embarrassed to treat people like you did.