Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-08-2011, 01:55 PM
Never Forget

Registered SVX
5spd help

so i finally put a 99 impreza tranny in and put a new clutch/pressure plate/throwout bearing/pilot bearing, but for some reason the car does not seem to want to move very fast in 1st and 2nd.

In 1st and 2nd, there is a lot of chatter from the tranny area (im guessing the viscous) and it barely moves...like the clutch is slipping. 3rd gear same thing but the car moves pretty decent and 4th/5th seem to work fine.

Can you give me ideas on what to check and how to check them? ive tried adjusting the clutch and the only thing that changes is the pedal stiffness. at a lost.

the car is driveable, just 1/2 gears are a little shady and the noise is crazy...like metal grinding on metal...but once in awhile (usually higher rpms) the noise will go away and everything works right for a little

help?

thanks
victor

94 SVX L AWD Conversion Barcelona Red First car and now being restored, 215xxx
Old 07-08-2011, 02:01 PM

Re: 5spd help

sure you got the clutch aligned properly so that the input shaft went into friction disk?
Old 07-08-2011, 02:07 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Did you replace the clutch after the last time you posted about this problem? I'm still at a loss. If it's not the clutch slipping, then maybe the gears are ground down really bad? The grinding noise makes me think that.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 07-08-2011, 03:18 PM

Registered SVX

Matching gear ratios F/R I am sure . Bent shifting forks . ( miss aligned clutch and flywheel as stated above . ) Iceingdeath you are mentioning he had this problem before.??/// where did I read about push and pull clutches . I don't know what it means but I read that . If the gears engage all the way then it should be a solid connection between all wheels. If the motor is getting high RPM and you are only going 10 MPH something sure as $!@ is slipping or fighting
Old 07-08-2011, 03:47 PM

Registered SVX

Previous discussion of this issue:
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56478
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56895
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56479

(FYI, usually 1 thread is better than 4.)

Pull/push clutch is a different thing. Some subaru transmissions take a pull style and some take a push style. A bit of googling will educate you on the difference.

If it's not a problem with the clutch, then I'd bet it's a problem internal to the transmission.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 07-08-2011, 08:46 PM

Registered SVX

Ok let's do it down and dirty. You want to settle if the clutch is slipping ( BTW my car does only 30 in first 45 in 2nd 65 in 3rd etc. that is the way std work . ( above speeds may vary just examples .) I did this today with my 5 speed . I dropped to 30 mph in 5th and gave it gas and it took off no slip. If your car does that then the clutch is handling the power . I had a Sport Sedan turbo that I fried the clutch . Didn't slip in 1st or 2nd . When I tried to accelerate onto a freeway from say 40 to 65 it slipped in 5th . It is harder to slip the clutch in the lower gears .
Old 07-11-2011, 03:06 PM
Never Forget

Registered SVX

icingdeath88, i did put a new clutch in and still the same problem. i took it out twice to ensure everything was put it correctly and still the same problem. I have been tempted to take the trans appart to see what's going on but i figured buyin another trans will be lots cheaper. so i am at lost and bout to give up for awile

conn SVX, i have had this problem for awhile but decided to post again due to luck with the problem. I do not smell cluth when driving so idk if it slipping or the tranny/viscous is bad...

thannks for your replies

Old 07-11-2011, 03:14 PM

Registered SVX

If it were me, I would take it to a transmission guy and have him take a look, or at least drive it around and see what he thinks.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:50 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Sounds like a transmission issue, not a clutch issue to me....
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 07-11-2011, 05:03 PM

Registered SVX

Will your car pass the test I suggested in the last post? I have to agree Tranny problem . If it were the clutch it is pretty straight forward . slipping is pretty hard to miss diagnose
Old 07-11-2011, 07:05 PM
Never Forget

Registered SVX

i'll give it a whirl when i get the car to start lol it wont start now:/ but i'll update when i figure how to get it running lol

thanks guys...i do think its the trans itself