How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-07-2011, 07:49 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Charging A/C System

When looking at the motor from the front the LOW is to the right. You should see a chrome looking small tank on that side . There should be a blue or green cap on the fitting . If it was converted the connection under the cap is a quick disconnect fitting. To fill , the air conditioner must be on high (65deg) full fan, engine running . U need to know the outside temp. set the Gage on the can to that and fill only that much. I heard no hissing when I did mine.

Last edited by Conn SVX; 07-08-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:01 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001

Svx My Baby the high side is between 185 and 210 in/?? and the low side is 28 in/hg. The numbers are correct I am just not sure of the measurements, I'll look that up tonight. Should be pretty straight forward if looking at the manifold set.

You are clearly running too high a pressure on your low side. The factory manuals give a great troubleshooting guide based on manifold readings. I'll look that up for you. However, my first thought is that something is clogged on your low end. OR you may have overcharged your system. Toping off is guesswork, you don't know how much refrigerant you have in the system. What I would do is evacuate the entire system and pull a vacuum that will help with diagnosing your issues.

Now - this all may not apply to your system since you have a retrofit kit using r134....

Again sorry about not having 100% accurate info on the gauge readings but I'll look it up tonight and post asap.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:35 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conn SVX View Post
You mixed it? I thought that was a NO NO
If you delve into the detailed info , 12a is fully compatible with both R12 and R134 and can be mixed with no ill effect. However various "regulations" require a system to be evacuated before being refilled. I assume that is to capture the ozone depleting refrigerant. I figured my system would just lose all it's stuff anyway if I did nothing, so why not top it up. I've done it now for the last 4 years. 12oz first year then 6 oz each of the others.
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:08 AM
Posting since Dec.'98

Registered SVX

Quote:
When looking at the motor from the front the LOW is to the right. You should see a chrome looking small tank on that side . There should be a blue cap on the fitting . If it was converted the connection under the cap is a quick disconnect fitting. To fill , the air conditioner must be on high (65deg) full fan, engine running . U need to know the outside temp. set the Gage on the can to that and fill only that much. I heard no hissing when I did mine.
Guess my gauge is pretty basic. No place for adjusting settings. The outside temp was 28C which is about 79F. I wonder how you you use that info on the thing! The black numbers are PSI, the red numbers on the inner dial are temperature.

SVXMAN2001 my numbers are in PSI.
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.

Last edited by SVX_MY_BABY; 07-07-2011 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:08 AM

Yeah you need a legit manifold gauge set with high and low readings, this is the only way to properly assess your situation. They cost about $60 and well worth it. The one you have is used simply for charging, doesn't look like it will tell you what your vacuum/pressure readings should be.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:11 PM

Registered SVX

the very inside #'4 look like c and F How you can coincide that with the needle I don't know . Does the ring turn?
Old 07-07-2011, 02:22 PM

Registered SVX

You mixed it? I thought that was a NO NO

not unless your pt went back in time. they started selling in 99 and they stopped using r12 years before that.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:35 PM

Registered SVX

The 92 /93 had R12 after that they started going to R134. I took mine in for a refill in 2000 and Subaru changed it over with out even asking me. It gets cold enough for me . I don't get the last remark about pt going back in time . splain it to me
Old 07-07-2011, 02:39 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX_MY_BABY View Post
Guess my gauge is pretty basic. No place for adjusting settings. The outside temp was 28C which is about 79F. I wonder how you you use that info on the thing! The black numbers are PSI, the red numbers on the inner dial are temperature.

SVXMAN2001 my numbers are in PSI.
On mine the face of the gauge will twist around so that the red triangle part moves. You point that at the outdoor temp and you fill it till the needle is in the triangle.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 07-07-2011, 03:14 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
The 92 /93 had R12 after that they started going to R134. I took mine in for a refill in 2000 and Subaru changed it over with out even asking me. It gets cold enough for me . I don't get the last remark about pt going back in time . splain it to me
read it backwards, thought svxmybaby had said he switched from r12 to r134 even though the car was made after r12 stopped being used. re-reading shows that he did something else.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:35 PM
Posting since Dec.'98

Registered SVX

How to hijack a thread

Th gauge bezel doesn't move. It does come off if you turn it too much.

Sorry 'bout confusion talking about 2 cars. The PT started as R134 and is now 12a. (Not R12) The SVX was converted to R134 from R12. Figured I'd do the same thing to it as I had to the PT 'till I saw how high the low side pressure was. I was going to search for old threads but saw this one.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:35 AM

Okay let's focus people!

As a reference for all...

The standard pressures are high side (185 - 215psi) and approximately 30psi on the low side.

The vacuum in the system should be 28 in/hg on the low side.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:10 PM

Registered SVX

R-12 oil is mineral oil, If you are changing to r134 without completely changing pumps and other parts you should add the oil recommended for r134 but do not drain out the mineral oil as it will help protect the o-rings.

I heard that the pressure switch, and some other can be changed out to make the r134 colder, almost as cold as the r12. I do know that without changing parts the r134 isn't as good.

Last edited by 92 SVX; 07-08-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:28 PM

Update! Making progress at a snails pace :/ I have replaced/installed the following parts:

1) Remanufactured Compressor (replaced with fresh oil) 70 ml for those curious

2) high pressure hose compressor to condensor

3) Condensor

4) pressure pipe with trinary switch to receiver

5) New receiver

6) high pressure pipe from receiver/dryer to evaporator

7) new expansion valve in evaporator

8) low pressure hose with muffler to compressor

9) new o-rings installed throughout and flushed out high pressure hose from receiver to evaporator; also flushed out evaporator

I've pulled a vacuum to 29 in/hg and it's holding! So i will be charging hopefully this weekend. Reason I am stuff is because the yellow hose evacuation/charging line to the manifold broke :/. So i ordered a new line from harbor freight and will hopefully receive it this weekend. Then it my svx will finally have a/c...it's only been 10 years since it's had a/c. Out of all my mod's (koni/custom audio system/stebro exhaust) i think i am most excited about this, ha!
Old 08-05-2011, 09:13 PM

Registered SVX

I don't know but, my 2 SVX are on the R 134 and I have to drop to LOW after 5 min. run time or I am too cold in the car . Of course I don't live in Texas or So Calf etc . 90 is a high temp . We did get 100 so far this year but only for a few hours and it still worked fine .How cold is COLD