Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-30-2001, 08:47 AM
Way over-the-hill Member

Clydes renewed 3.3

Ron,
Thanks for asking. My baby is doing great. I'm planning a trip to Orlando in a few weeks. Gas mileage is OK, No oil useage or leaks, and power to spare.
My only problem is hard starting. I usually have to hit the accelerator while she's cranking to get her to start.
Other than that, 'THE SUBARU GURU' from Lancaster Pa. DONE GOOD.
CLYDE
Old 11-30-2001, 10:19 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Cool

With the spring weather we've had around here, why bother with Orlando? Enjoy the trip anyway.
Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 12-01-2001, 01:55 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Clydes renewed 3.3

Quote:
Originally posted by Clydesvx
Ron,
Thanks for asking. My baby is doing great. I'm planning a trip to Orlando in a few weeks. Gas mileage is OK, No oil useage or leaks, and power to spare.
My only problem is hard starting. I usually have to hit the accelerator while she's cranking to get her to start.
Other than that, 'THE SUBARU GURU' from Lancaster Pa. DONE GOOD.
CLYDE
Clyde, has the "Guru" checked your injectors for leakage? Likewise, has he checked or adjusted the TPS? Just a couple of possibilities. Enjoy the trip.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 12-03-2001, 04:21 AM
Way over-the-hill Member

Has the GURU checked injectors?

AREDUB,
He checked the injectors and said they were OK. He is about 90+ miles from me so a jaunt to have a few thing checked is out of the question. Immortal_suby had suggested the TPS adjustment. I gave it a shot but although the car started a tad easier I started getting 16 flashes from my POWER light. Is the key to these flashes posted on this site somewhere?
The local SUBARU dealer said it might be a temperature sensor. Funny though, when I was in TN before Halloween it started fine. Maybe its a altitude sensor......just kidding.
Thanks for the input. I might tweak the TPS again. The temperature sensor seems like a maybe. Hot starts are fine. I suspect the temperature sensor adjusts the throttle position, which is determined by the TPS. Dam, I use to fix this on my old Ford van with a wooden clothes pin.
I wish I didn't love this car.
CLYDE
Old 12-03-2001, 05:30 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
This is one of those scenarios where a scanner is dang handy, no matter what some people will tell you. Counting the flashes on the dashboard, using a DMM, and rattling some chicken bones over the car just isn't enough sometimes.

Something to consider: You state the car starts o.k. when hot - if injector(s) were leaking the car would probably be difficult to start hot as well.

Need more info: When the car finally starts cold does it immediately idle o.k., without your foot on the gas? Or does it stumble a little at first? When you turn the a/c on does the engine hold the same idle speed or does it drop and stay down?

Hopefully you can put the TPS back in its proper position. While the car can still run with it out of range, that's not exactly how you want your car set up, is it?

If I've got this right, you just had your engine rebuilt? If the mechanic that did that can't correct the problem you need to find someone that can. Just throwing parts and guesses (shotgun approach) can get awfully expensive and sometimes make things worse. We get a number of new sensors, etc. that are DOA and can confuse the situation.

My suggestion would be to take the car in and get an estimate. When they tell you how much it will cost make sure everyone agrees that $xx.xx will fix *this* problem. If they can't assure you of that then you need to find another garage.

Beav
Old 12-03-2001, 05:49 AM
Way over-the-hill Member

Reply to Beav

You've hit the mark. On the second try she will start but will stumble a bit until for about 20 seconds then smoothed out. A/C on doesn't bother idle. It seems OK when the A/C is on.
Hot starts are OK.
Cold starts suck.
Warm starts are 50/50
Either way if she doesn't catch on the first few cranks I mash the accelerator and then she starts.
The engine wasn't rebuilt. Its from a bone yard and has been sitting since 1996/97. It's from a 94. The GURU used my '92 throttle body on this engine.

Once she's running she is smooth and has plenty of power.

Heritage SUBARU in Maryland will get her after the holidays, unless Santa's mechanic fixes it on his way through Cockeysville, MD. Why she didn't have problems in Memphis I'll never know.
Thanks for the input.
Clyde
Old 12-03-2001, 11:18 AM
Lowered SVX

damn it clyde.....

you were in memphis and you didnt look me up?? when were you here?
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 12-03-2001, 12:06 PM
Way over-the-hill Member

Memphis clyde

I was in Memphis before Halloween. Actually I was in Millington staying with my Daughter on the Naval Base. I only saw one Burgundy SVX in Memphis. I did get to Rendezvous, Great Ribs!!
Old 12-03-2001, 01:17 PM
I look like Gordon

Clyde-

I have had a few things done at Heritage Subaru and been happy with them each time. Knock on wood. They are pricey, but so far every job has been a one day affair, and I have no complaints about the quality of the work.

-Mike
Old 12-04-2001, 03:56 AM
Way over-the-hill Member

Heritage Subaru

Rufus,
Heritage is the ONLY PLACE that could fix my REAR AXLE BEARINGS. I've gone over 70K miles since they replaced them, talk about knocking on wood! I usually deal with Jimmy Schrader. A good deal of Heritage's staff both sales and service came from 40 West VW/SUBARU after the long time 40 West owner sold out. I used 40 west service before the change in ownership and was pleased. After the change, everything took 2 or 3 trips to get OK...not right but OK. That's when a friend told me that most of the good Subaru folks headed to Heritage. I have been pleased with their work. They have several SVX's that are regularly serviced there.
CLYDE
Teal '92 193,000 miles.
Old 12-04-2001, 09:11 AM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Question

Clyde - At what point did you decide to go to "The Guru" rather than Heritage? Was an engine swap more than Heritage wanted to be involved in?
Thanks, Ron.

'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
Old 12-04-2001, 10:33 AM
Way over-the-hill Member

Why the GURU rather than HERITAGE!

$54 per hour. They(Heritage) could not give me an estimate. They only had HEAD GASKET data on 4 cyl. Subaru's. They could not say what they would do in the case that the Head gasket would not cure the problem.

THE GURU TOLD ME UP FRONT THAT HE WOULD INVESTIGATE THE HEAD GASKET REPAIR KNOWING IT MAY BE A LOST CAUSE AND FOUND AN ENGINE IN ADVANCE OF DOING THE WORK. He also told me I would be on the 'back burner' and would only be worked on when he had time available. His per hour rate was a LOT less than the HERITAGE PRIME TIME RATE.

I trust Heritage but could not risk the 'IT'S a lost cause give me 3K and we'll call it even if you buy a new car from us' factor.

For 6K I got a bone yard engine, new water pump, rebuilt alternator, new power steering pump, new struts, a tranny filter, Tranny flush, injector cleaning, some new front end parts, fresh belts, labor for the break-down and investigation of the old engine, and installation of the parts mentioned above.

Yeah! I know I Could have bought one of the '92 thru '95 SVX's in the Sunpapers during that time, but it wouldn't be the same.

Clyde
Old 12-04-2001, 12:41 PM
Lowered SVX

clyde

if you were here right now i would punch you.

i graduated high school from millington. you should have called me i could have at least met up with you and chatted a little bit.

oh well maybe next time
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 12-04-2001, 12:50 PM
I look like Gordon

Clyde-

I've seen a teal SVX in the service area when I have dropped mine off before. It was the first time I had service done there, and it made me feel better right off the bat to see another SVX on the premises. This would have been probably have been about a year ago. I remember it had some damage to the front fender area- was that yours? I have also seen a teal SVX in the Towson area a couple times, when I used to work part time at Hudson Trail Outfitters on York Road.

Oh, by the way, I had rear wheel bearings fixed there too. I asked the usual questions about the grease and torque on the lug nuts, etc, and they had all the right answers. I've had no problems either (but a lot less miles on them than you've had)

knock knock knockety knock knock

-Mike
Old 12-04-2001, 06:43 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Thumbs up

Thanks Clyde (& Mike) for steering me in the right direction WHEN my time comes.
Ron.

'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K