Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Body Modifications

Old 06-07-2005, 12:06 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Has anybody cut apart the rear deck?

Our racing hood/deck pins will arrive next week. I'm planning to remove all hinges and latch hardware and would like to cut the inside of the trunk lid apart to lighten it up. Has anybody done this or better yet does anybody have a junk lid they don't mind cutting up. I just want to be sure that the outside will be strong enough to hold its own. I'd imagine muce of the strenth is needed for the opening and closing which we will no longer have as it'll simply lift off.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:32 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Didn't Mike have a few extras?
Old 06-08-2005, 03:51 AM

I added a few parts to my trunk lid and realised the material is about 4 mm thick but crumble easily

If you still want to open it, I'd not take out all structural parts in the trunk lid but rather go the classic way: leave the hinges and latch and drill lots of holes into the inner parts of the lids. You can even use a circular saw up to 4 - 5" (hope that's the right expression) and take out larger sections.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:12 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar
I added a few parts to my trunk lid and realised the material is about 4 mm thick but crumble easily

If you still want to open it, I'd not take out all structural parts in the trunk lid but rather go the classic way: leave the hinges and latch and drill lots of holes into the inner parts of the lids. You can even use a circular saw up to 4 - 5" (hope that's the right expression) and take out larger sections.
He means a "hole saw" to those of us in the US...and that sounds like a good ideal to me.

I believe Paul (SVXHunter) gutted his trunk lid on the SVreX, might PM him
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 06-09-2005, 09:02 PM
5 speeds rock! :D

I did it.

You'll be surprised how little you save. You will add almost as much in the hood pins as you remove.

The rear deck is plastic. All of it. It is no where near as heavy as it seems. The hinging is sort of a reverse leverage which makes it seem heavier than it is.

We ground all the structure off both the front and rear hoods. They are just skins attached by hood pins. They have a high cool factor, but no real significant weight savings. They are pretty weak. The hood is worse than the trunk.

Here's a pic at this year's GRM Challenge
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020043.JPG (156.6 KB, 170 views)

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC
Old 06-09-2005, 09:09 PM
antidisestablishmentarian

Send a message via AIM to Rd96SVX Send a message via MSN to Rd96SVX
not to hijack the thread, but has anybody tried molding some lexan to replace the windows.. that could save some weight if that is in fact the idea...

BTW.. man SVREX looks cool.. awesome spray job
25,000 lb GVW Trans-Cooler
Wet-sanded "cleared" Headlights
Charcoal 22% Tint
Removed intake resonator
'95 Probe GT Wheels
'97 grille

"New Addition" 1992 Teal LS-L
+156k mi.
Status... Reconditioning
Old 06-10-2005, 04:15 AM
5 speeds rock! :D

Thanks!

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC
Old 06-10-2005, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rd96SVX
not to hijack the thread, but has anybody tried molding some lexan to replace the windows.. that could save some weight if that is in fact the idea...

BTW.. man SVREX looks cool.. awesome spray job
Have experiemented with it but we're still thinking Targa Newfoundland for ours so we kinda need to keep the glass legally at this poing. Besides, it is quite expensive to get it and bend it right.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:25 PM
THAWA

I thought someone posted that the windows were actually very light?
Old 06-10-2005, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THAWA
I thought someone posted that the windows were actually very light?
Not really, the windshield alone I'm guessing is about 20-25lbs. Keep in mind that this weight is pretty high too so by dropping it here it really helps lower the center of gravity. All told I'd say there is about 100lbs in glass unscientifically of course.