Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2005, 10:53 PM

I think they should sell the next 20 at $1 a piece to me, then I'll sell them to the first 18 people who come up with $300

Seriously though, it sounds like they are concerned about the problem, and wanting to sort it out, hopefully it will come to a quick conclusion for the better.
Old 03-26-2005, 06:37 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
We need an admin to authenticate their account - and they all seem to be on vacation. Mods can't do anything about it.

They did this radiator pretty well in my eyes. I bent up the bottom mount brackets quite easily to make the fans fit, and I just need a new cap and I will be set. Until we get a new cap I am going to cut the ears off one of my spares.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 03-26-2005, 11:45 AM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
Just did 350 miles last night with my new "earless" rad cap, losing not a drop of coolant. I'm still concerned a bit with signs of contact between the cap and hood underside, but it may not be an issue after all. Overall I'm very happy with the radiator as well as PWR personnel and their efforts to make everything right.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 03-26-2005, 03:16 PM

Don't Ever Buy A Ferrari, Maserati, Even Old Porsche..

if these relatively minor problems are "freakin'" you out. I've put up with way more hassle just trying to get the correct distributor for a late '60's V12 Ferrari and at three times the cost of this radiator (and there are 2!). Not to mention going through way more hassle trying to get parts for numerous Eurpoean cars with similar production numbers and age. It took 6 months just to get my hand made header system for my 4 cyl. Lancia out of England. Our '92s are goin' on 14 yrs. old!
By the way, just found an Internet parts outfit that actually has a new OEM radiator and they only want $630 for it...
I thought ours were $450 because it was a group buy and we were the beta testers. I thought everyone understood that. That's what I figured since 40 rads is virtually hand built so per unit costs are quite high.
Like I said before, having raced cars and bikes and been an exotic car dealer, in my 20+ years experience, this is par for the course. PWR did a good job and their trying to correct the problems. I'm fine with that.
WGJ

Last edited by WGJ; 03-26-2005 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-26-2005, 04:24 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGJ
By the way, just found an Internet parts outfit that actually has a new OEM radiator and they only want $630 for it...
I thought ours were $450 because it was a group buy and we were the beta testers. I thought everyone understood that. That's what I figured since 40 rads is virtually hand built so per unit costs are quite high.
Like I said before, having raced cars and bikes and been an exotic car dealer, in my 20+ years experience, this is par for the course. PWR did a good job and their trying to correct the problems. I'm fine with that.
WGJ
OK... Lets role play what you say we were to understand at the beginning.

Hey Guys!! I need at least 20 people to beta test radiators!!

Understand, this WILL be a beta program.
There will be some modifications needed when you receive it. There are NO GUARANTEES the overflow pipe, or other piping will be the correct size, they may or they may not. The cap area may or may not leak, and the positioning of the cap could be off center when closed. In fact, we can't even be sure the radiator will fit properly in the car. It may turn out too low and rub the rail, or it may turn out too high and hit your hood. We can't be sure until at least 20 are produced and 20 different beta testers give us feedback.

There may be delays with these betas. It may be 4 months from now in Feb or Mar before you receive your test unit.

Also understand I may not be around to finish up the deal once the first unit is produced. Others may have to take over and pick up the slack with no feedback of where things are standing from me.

But the best news is this!!

The cost to join this beta program is only $90 more than a new OEM radiator!! That's right!! Only $450!!
And of course, a small shipping fee between $15 and $25. No big deal.

We need at least 20 people to get this beta test off the ground! Give us a hand!

End Role play...............................

WGJ, you are a great person. I have learned alot from your posts, and I respect you. I am NOT trying to upset you. But "this" is not what we understood. We understood what Chris wrote on the first few pages of this thread. His was the prototype, and we were to get drop in OEM style superior performance aluminum radiators with a highly efficient ATF cooler. There was to be specs, and pictures, and all kinds of christmassy stuff. Several questions in these areas were asked, especially in the "drop in" area throughout the thread.

If everyone understood what you feel we should have understood, very few people would be on this thread today. They wouldn't be involved. I personally would have picked up my OEM radiator some 3 days later, and my '94 would probably NOT be a parts car today. Driving the '94 for 2 months on a busted radiator is my fault... Nobody is accountable for that stupid action but me. As for the radiator? I am definitely not accountable under some assumption that I "should" have understood this to be a beta test.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 03-26-2005, 04:29 PM
Weasel 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrophil
OK... Lets role play what you say we were to understand at the beginning.

Hey Guys!! I need at least 20 people to beta test radiators!!

Understand, this WILL be a beta program.
There will be some modifications needed when you receive it. There are NO GUARANTEES the overflow pipe, or other piping will be the correct size, they may or they may not. The cap area may or may not leak, and the positioning of the cap could be off center when closed. In fact, we can't even be sure the radiator will fit properly in the car. It may turn out too low and rub the rail, or it may turn out too high and hit your hood. We can't be sure until at least 20 are produced and 20 different beta testers give us feedback.

There may be delays with these betas. It may be 4 months from now in Feb or Mar before you receive your test unit.

Also understand I may not be around to finish up the deal once the first unit is produced. Others may have to take over and pick up the slack with no feedback of where things are standing from me.

But the best news is this!!

The cost to join this beta program is only $90 more than a new OEM radiator!! That's right!! Only $450!!
And of course, a small shipping fee between $15 and $25. No big deal.

We need at least 20 people to get this beta test off the ground! Give us a hand!

End Role play...............................

WGJ, you are a great person. I have learned alot from your posts, and I respect you. I am NOT trying to upset you. But "this" is not what we understood. We understood what Chris wrote on the first few pages of this thread. His was the prototype, and we were to get drop in OEM style superior performance aluminum radiators with a highly efficient ATF cooler. There was to be specs, and pictures, and all kinds of christmassy stuff. Several questions in these areas were asked, especially in the "drop in" area throughout the thread.

If everyone understood what you feel we should have understood, very few people would be on this thread today. They wouldn't be involved. I personally would have picked up my OEM radiator some 3 days later, and my '94 would probably NOT be a parts car today. Driving the '94 for 2 months on a busted radiator is my fault... Nobody is accountable for that stupid action but me. As for the radiator? I am definitely not accountable under some assumption that I "should" have understood this to be a beta test.
Complete and proper information works wonders with most aspects of life
Old 03-26-2005, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel 22
Complete and proper information works wonders with most aspects of life
Well said!!

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.

Old 03-26-2005, 08:11 PM

"Experience Is The Only True Fact"...

-Santayana.

Electrophil,
Apparently my experience is somewhat different than yours:
First would be many more years of dealing with this sort of thing. From having to have the headers on my '67 427 'Vette (I autocrossed in high school when the 'Vette was new), taken back to the shop so they'd fit correctly (and stop cracking) to this alum rad...custom work is rarely right the first time.
Second, I have the "luxury" of not needing the use of the rad back in Dec. Had I been depending on the timely delivery of an easy to install rad with 0 problems and encountered this fiasco, I'd probably be as pissed as I am at the repair shop that ripped you off replacing your speedo gear.
Sorry you got jammed up but I think you've made your point. As for, "There was to be specs, and pictures, and all kinds of christmassy stuff." I've been involved with this thread since inception and I don't remember that. Regardless, it's time to move on and try to be positive. Or return the rad and get your money back. Otherwise let's move on.
WGJ

Last edited by WGJ; 03-26-2005 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:43 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Keep it civil, guys.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:52 AM

I appologize to all. I wasn't in the best of moods yesterday.

Very sorry.

Old 03-27-2005, 12:24 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
My 2 Cents

I might add that the $450 price was also to INCLUDE shipping according to info provided prior to total commitment. Any status on the replacement cap yet?

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 03-27-2005, 01:34 PM

I Don't Think So...

Although I have a number of more important and pressing issues to deal with I reviewed the first 20 or so pages of this thread in order to be accurate and I don't remember seeing that being expressed by Chris before the original 20 were committed. However, I spend a great deal of time in front of the computer and my eyes get tired so I may have missed it. Can you find it for us IHOP77?
I don't remember it even being implied. But I apparently have a different view of things.
WGJ
Old 03-27-2005, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGJ
Although I have a number of more important and pressing issues to deal with I reviewed the first 20 or so pages of this thread in order to be accurate and I don't remember seeing that being expressed by Chris before the original 20 were committed. However, I spend a great deal of time in front of the computer and my eyes get tired so I may have missed it. Can you find it for us IHOP77?
I don't remember it even being implied. But I apparently have a different view of things.
WGJ
1st page, 1st post: "Quote"

Cost will be $450 shipped to your door (or shop) in the United States. I will inquire about you Canada guys. Anyone outside the US can PM me and I will forward on your shipping question. For that matter, any and all questions should be PM’ed to me and I will forward to the contact.

7th page, post#98 "Quote"

Clint told me $450 shipped. I will have him put this in writting if it makes us all feel better.

Sorry to hear how busy you are. Go to edit, and use the "find" feature. Type in the word "ship". It will save you a lot of time. You can get through several pages in seconds. I wouldn't have the time to read through 20 pages myself, and I'm not even nearly as important as you are.

Old 03-27-2005, 07:44 PM

As I have said before in this thread I didn't order one but have been following this from the start and my take on this is that it was stated this would be a "drop in replacement" for the oem radiator and it isnt. A drop in replacement wouldn't need tabs bent and have caps that leak. Are they huge problems? No, but its still a problem.
Is it more durable then the original? Sure, its made from a tougher material.
Is it an improvment over the original? Probably, it remains to be seen how much better it cools engine and tranny.

Would I order one at full price as a replacement if/when the time comes. Not sure if I would or not, not even sure I would order one at the $450 (but it would be more likely to happen then at $600)
PWR is a reputable company and Im sure will make good on the caps, and also "fix" the problems encountered and the people who order the next batch will benifit from your problems

Last edited by Rotorflyr; 03-27-2005 at 07:47 PM.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:05 PM

Right You Are...

the initial offering was including shipping. However, again my experience led me to expect changes in the deal along with possible problems with the equipment. That's why I did my due diligence before committing, so I could decide what additional costs or equipment changes would be acceptable to me. And the option to OPT OUT was always there so if $15 to $25 was a deal breaker or you felt anything else was unacceptable, all you had to do is pass.
I appreciate you pointing out the search function to me, but I'm "old school" so I read each page so I understand the context.
Electrophil, I am sorry that you seem to have self esteem issues or problems with reasoning. I don't understand how my being busy but taking the time to read the thread because I think someone else's position may have merit, makes you less "important" than me...
Some people are unhappy with the rad deal and some are quite pleased. Unfortunately some, like you and Tom were really inconvenienced. But the deal is what it morphed into and it's time to help PWR correct the problems or send the rad back and get your money refunded. I don't recall anything about not getting your money back. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
WGJ

Last edited by WGJ; 03-27-2005 at 08:30 PM.