Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2004, 07:09 PM
Porter

WOOHOO!!!

13th Overall is absolutely KILLER in that company. There were some serious machines there, and the SVX held its own against just about everything. Its advantage was through its balance... many of the cars there were great drag racers or great autocrossers, but very few were good at both. The SVX was good enough in each category to outstrip the curve and place very well on points.

Congratulations to the Fenners and Team SVreX! A job well done. All your hard work paid off and you have MUCH to be proud of.

Thanks again for everything!

-Porter
Old 04-04-2004, 08:32 PM
Network Design Administrator

AWESOME Guys!! Congrats!!!

Now bring that beast to Reading!!
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 04-04-2004, 08:50 PM
5 speeds rock! :D

Quote:
Originally posted by mbtoloczko
Actually, if that run was with nitrous, I'm a bit surprised it only ran a 13.8. With a 750 lb weight reduction (car should weigh about 2850 lbs), taught suspension, and a 75 HP nitrous shot, I would have expected a low 13 sec or high 12 sec run. I don't mean to devalue their efforts, but I was expecting a lower number. I'm very curious to read the details of the day's events.
Actually, Mychailo, you're right. The car could do 12's. We had trouble with loss of nitrous pressure all day (and no pressure guages, etc. to help us figure it out). The 13.8 pass was its first run on nitrous- never beat it.

There were some tough competitors- the top 5 drag finishes were all in the 11's or better (#1 was 10.60). Our 13.8 still nabbed us only 21st place in the drags. (still not bad out of 88 cars).

Still, we were amatuers, and mostly teenagers. Never built a car before, never raced before, never even seen the Challenge or knew what to expect. We rode in a great car....

....just like all of you!!

More news tomorrow.

-P^uL

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC
Old 04-04-2004, 09:03 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Originally posted by RSVX
AWESOME Guys!! Congrats!!!

Now bring that beast to Reading!!
Agreed, we better see it at Reading

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 04-04-2004, 11:17 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally posted by svxhunter

Actually, Mychailo, you're right. The car could do 12's. We had trouble with loss of nitrous pressure all day (and no pressure guages, etc. to help us figure it out). The 13.8 pass was its first run on nitrous- never beat it.

That's kinda what I was thinking. I've done the physics (i.e., math) on weight reduction in relation to acceleration, and for a car that runs a 14 sec 1/4 mile, removing 750 lbs is about equal to adding 75-80 hp (1 hp/10 lbs weight reduction). That that alone gave you 300 effective hp relative to an unaltered SVX. A 75 HP shot would have put you in the 375 effective HP range. And then there are the exhaust mods you did. The sum total should have been about 400 effective HP. Even with the slush box, the car should have done low 13s. I'm really interested to see what the car will do if you can get the nitrous sorted out!

Anyhow, great job with the competition. :-)

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:43 AM

Reading

I'm afraid Reading is out for me. 6 months worth of too much energy spent on the SVreX has put a strain on my family. I love you guys, and wish to heck I could be there...

...maybe next year.

I might consider letting the SvreX go without me, if someone can figure out a way to get her up there (she's not road legal, and it would be a long ride with no creature comforts, sound deadening, etc.).

How about it, Porter? Any ideas?

-P^uL

Here's a pic of the SVreX in full race trim. I'll get some more up later- got to catch up in work!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc03824.jpg (60.7 KB, 274 views)

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC
Old 04-05-2004, 10:20 AM

Quote:

I'm going to wait to post the budget until after the race- I don't want to give anyone food for protests. Though our budget is completely clean, it is also creative (like most).
-P
I have come under fire on another website for this comment I made earlier on this thread. Basically, they doubt we built it for budget. It is also clear that the particular person complaining would have used the budget against us if I had posted it.

I have decided to not respond to it over there. I do not owe them anything, and don't feel I have to explain every detail of our build budget after it has been approved by the GRM staff and not protested by any competitors.

I do, however, feel I owe you something. The members of this website contributed significantly to the success of this car.

The exact methods of how to fit within a budget that tight may fall under "trade secret", sort of like the tweaks one may perform inside a motor to squeeze out a few more hp. I would rather not post the total details, because unscrupulous people may use it against us in the future, and that would hurt the experience for all, especially the students who have worked their tails off for this.

So, here's what I will do regarding the budget. I will post the build sheet, but not the budget. If anyone on this forum feels an incredible need for more detailed info, PM me. I have a full budget sheet, and will decide whether to release it on a case by case basis.

Keep SVX'n

-P^uL

Old 04-05-2004, 10:25 AM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:

I have come under fire on another website for this comment I made earlier on this thread. Basically, they doubt we built it for budget. It is also clear that the particular person complaining would have used the budget against us if I had posted it.

I have decided to not respond to it over there. I do not owe them anything, and don't feel I have to explain every detail of our build budget after it has been approved by the GRM staff and not protested by any competitors.

I do, however, feel I owe you something. The members of this website contributed significantly to the success of this car.

The exact methods of how to fit within a budget that tight may fall under "trade secret", sort of like the tweaks one may perform inside a motor to squeeze out a few more hp. I would rather not post the total details, because unscrupulous people may use it against us in the future, and that would hurt the experience for all, especially the students who have worked their tails off for this.

So, here's what I will do regarding the budget. I will post the build sheet, but not the budget. If anyone on this forum feels an incredible need for more detailed info, PM me. I have a full budget sheet, and will decide whether to release it on a case by case basis.

Keep SVX'n

-P^uL
sore loser?
Old 04-05-2004, 10:26 AM

Sort of- it would appear he never even finished his car.

-P

Old 04-05-2004, 10:39 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Great job!

Top placing Subaru and 13th overall for a bunch of first timers is awesome! Thanks for representing the SVX so well, you and the kids (and your family) deserve a round of applause!

So, you guys gonna do it again next year? Can you use the same car, how does that work with the rules and everything?

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 04-05-2004, 10:39 AM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
Sort of- it would appear he never even finished his car.

-P
guess he's really sore then!
Old 04-05-2004, 10:58 AM

Barring any rules changes, the car could return. Last year they made some significant rules changes which banned several cars. I'm not expecting that this year.

The problem is there is very little left for improvement. We have $7 left in the budget. We can tweak, tune, and detail, but that is it. We would have to remove something important from the car (like tires or nitrous) to add anything to it. I believe if we'd had the time and energy to complete the detailing and testing this year, as well as some seat time in both autocrossing and the drags, we'd have been able to pull off an 8th or 9th place finish. I expect the competition to be a lot tougher next year, so the SVreX may not be very competitive.

We will probably use it this coming year for autocrossing. We'll have to compete in the Mod classes, which means we'll get stomped. But we will get to be better drivers.

Next year is undecided, but I'm hooked. I'd like to tweak it and try again for a top 15 finish. I'd also like to take a second far more radical entry. This is just talk at this point- it was a big strain on my family and I'd rather not go than put them through it again. Maybe I can build a better car AND a better family management plan! We'll see....

Old 04-05-2004, 03:11 PM
Porter

I vote for more radical.

I'm already working on some technical details, trying to hook up with some people in the sand rail community.

A sub-2000 lb, 300hp mid-engine RWD Subaru would fit the bill very nicely.

Old 04-05-2004, 03:39 PM

Gracious, you scare me. That is the very specs I was working on today!!

Although there is a guy in CA working on an all SVX drivetrain, AWD mid-engined 5 spd ragtop Corvair similiar to the "Angrycorvair" which did so well. It's a better package, though not Subaru skin!

Wonder if that would classify as a Subaru??

Tough to make the budget.

Maybe not- some bargains on Corvairs!!

-Paul

Old 04-05-2004, 04:26 PM
Porter

There are MUCH better bargains on a particular Subaru I'm thinking of....

It was the "least loved" of them all.

Let's think back to the famous SHOgun projects....