SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2003, 12:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to fjm57
Registered SVX
Hi guys

Been away for a while on another project, and just wanted to reintroduce myself and say Hi.
When I bought my SVX a couple of years ago I initially wanted to mod it out. Well at that time there was very little aftermarket, so I modded what I could and figured I would get my other project finished (V8 RX7) to take care of my racing bug.
Anyway after driving the SVX, I have realized that it is perfect for what it was intended for but am curious to see what was available at this time for it.
I will be doing General maintenance on the SVX this year.
New struts, Did the Koni Group Purchase go through if not what is the next best option?
What Exterior aftermarket is out there now Air Dams, Hoods, ETC.
The Tranny was replaced 28K ago and seems to be doing well.
What Brake upgrades are available.
I have visited from time to time and done searches to try to keep up, I see the membership has grown tremendously.
Anyway, you'll start seeing me on the board more than in the past.
Love my SVX.
Pic location in my Sig.
TGIF
Jim

“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.”
-Bertrand Russell -
Old 01-03-2003, 01:23 PM
$VX

Most anything body related is only available in japan. Kinda annoying. You think Wings West would jump on hte fact that an affordable AWD 230hp badass car is now available kinda cheap, and start making bodykits for it.

>shrug<

Personally, I think the SVX looks best when it has STOCK body, stock exhaust, and nice 18" rims, lowered. For brake upgrades, I'm not sure if anyone has upgraded the size of their rotors, but there ARE quite a few brake rotor options in stock size. I myself purchase some slotted dimple drilled nickel plated rotors from Raceconcepts.net, and they're awesome so far.

Anyway, glad to meet you.

- Rob
Old 01-03-2003, 02:13 PM
Alcyone SVX LSL

-for many things, kinda high priced though: Motorsports
-for some interesting stuff to come or 5-speed kit: Small Car
-Hood (towards bottom of page): Carbon fiber hood

This is all i can pull up in a few minutes, hope something helps.
Old 01-03-2003, 02:20 PM
Alcyone SVX LSL

Thumbs up

Also just wanted to say sweeeeet RX7...that thing really looks good.
Old 01-03-2003, 06:50 PM

Registered SVX
Wow, appreciate the prompt responses.
Quote:
Originally posted by $VX
Most anything body related is only available in japan. Kinda annoying. You think Wings West would jump on hte fact that an affordable AWD 230hp badass car is now available kinda cheap, and start making bodykits for it.

>shrug<

Personally, I think the SVX looks best when it has STOCK body, stock exhaust, and nice 18" rims, lowered. For brake upgrades, I'm not sure if anyone has upgraded the size of their rotors, but there ARE quite a few brake rotor options in stock size. I myself purchase some slotted dimple drilled nickel plated rotors from Raceconcepts.net, and they're awesome so far.

Anyway, glad to meet you.

- Rob
thanks Rob
Yeah all the good stuff is still in Japan, looks like that hasn't changed. You would think someone would be after this little niche market.
You are right the car looks great stock, hard to improve on perfection. I am considering rims the 16's look tiny on this car. Any rim suggestions?
I am very interested in the brake rotors you mentioned. i will definately follow up on them.
Quote:
Originally posted by MT maniac
-for many things, kinda high priced though: Motorsports
-for some interesting stuff to come or 5-speed kit: Small Car
-Hood (towards bottom of page): Carbon fiber hood

This is all i can pull up in a few minutes, hope something helps.
Hi
thanks for the links, some definate potential here. Good to see the 5 speed conversion get worked out. I'll check these links thoroughly. I have made some purchases from SVX-Motorsports, good to see them still in the game.
Thanks for the info

Quote:
Originally posted by MT maniac
Also just wanted to say sweeeeet RX7...that thing really looks good.
thanks
the 7 is my thrasher, It can be a real handful.
I also use it as a daily driver to keep some milage off the SVX, I use the SVX primarily for those nice long road trips.

thanks for the info,
Very appreciated
Jim

-Bertrand Russell -
Old 01-04-2003, 05:07 PM
$VX

A V8 in an RX7?!?! Cool..but.. eh... why? Isn't the handling like really weird now? And wasn't the rotary a better choice considering power/weight, ease of rebuilds, and if you turbo'd it, wouldn't it be more powerful than the V8?

Just questions, looks like a sweet car.

- Ca$h
Old 01-04-2003, 07:41 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by $VX
A V8 in an RX7?!?! Cool..but.. eh... why? Isn't the handling like really weird now? And wasn't the rotary a better choice considering power/weight, ease of rebuilds, and if you turbo'd it, wouldn't it be more powerful than the V8?

- Ca$h
Here's another conversion similar to that conversion: Supercharged V8 in a Datsun 240Z

Video Here
Old 01-04-2003, 08:02 PM
$VX

Yeah, I've seen that, but the 240Z had a clunky six to begin with, not an ultra lightweight powerplant like a rotary. So the handling isn't drastically different.

- Ca$h
Old 01-04-2003, 08:40 PM

Registered SVX
Hey, guys
Quote:
Originally posted by $VX

- Ca$h
Thanks, no problem with questions. Actually surprised i'm not getting flamed for it, get that a lot from the rotary guys. Sort of the same type of treatment I would get here if I had done it to my SVX.
My conversion balance is 51/49 throw a little gas in it i am 50/50. the total weight of a turboed rotary is only 50 lbs lighter than my V8. I relocated the battery to the rear don't run any accessories and I am good to go. With aluminum heads I would actually be lighter. If you check out my alignment specs you can see that I am practically perfectly in factory alignment and stock height using a stock TII suspension. The rotary guys that have driven it agree that handling was not impaired at all.
Ease of rebuilds, well if any of you have every run a tweaked out rotary ease of rebuilds becomes more important, the trick is to avoid the rebuilds by using a platform that nets the same/more target power/torque will less mods, you know KIS. My dyno sheet is out there also.
I don't have a thing against rotaries I think the technolgy is pretty neat but after running a few of them I missed the attitude,reliablility and torque of a piston engine but loved the chassis and handling. My car gets 16 MPG mixed driving and 24 MPG on the highway, none of my rotaries ever got that. Runs low 13 Hi 12 1/4, 8.5 - 8.8 1/8 depending on climate and track conditions in street trim, no slicks, all motor. My engine is very mildly built. You should see some of my friends cars, LS1, LT1, SBC, SBF Stroker 2nd and 3rd gens.
Why you ask, well i wanted something unique and personal sort of the same reason I own an SVX.

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
Here's another conversion similar to that conversion: Supercharged V8 in a Datsun 240Z
Ahhh Yes, Darius, isn't that thing a monster, I have about 10 of his vids. I've converted them to mpeg1 and made VCD's out of them.
If you want check out some more vids and pics, info in general, about these swaps, here are some links.

http://www.ltownracing.org/featured_ride_june02.htm
http://www.thewrongmotor.com
http://www.torquecentral.com/forumdi...?s=&forumid=11

Appreciate the interest.
BTW
I'll be attending The Hybrid Z meet in Reynolds Georgia 2-23-03, they have invited us to a day of racing and general track mayhem, It is my understanding they have the tracked rented for that entire day.
If any of you are in the neighborhood....

-Bertrand Russell -
Old 01-04-2003, 10:00 PM
$VX

Cool man. I thought the rotary would be a LOT lighter. >shrug< Anyway, looks awesome, and one thing that the rotaries wouldnt have would be all that low end torque on that sucker. Cool cool. I might get flamed for bringing this up, but in a year or two I'll have a dodge neon with a 2.4 (minivan engine) in it. Shall be fun, but not quite as insane as your RX7. Heh.

- Ca$h
Old 01-04-2003, 10:20 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
What kind of AM parts are you looking for from Japan? I import parts for people once a while.

L
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:•2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 01-05-2003, 03:55 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by $VX
Cool man. I thought the rotary would be a LOT lighter. >shrug< Anyway, looks awesome, and one thing that the rotaries wouldnt have would be all that low end torque on that sucker. Cool cool. I might get flamed for bringing this up, but in a year or two I'll have a dodge neon with a 2.4 (minivan engine) in it. Shall be fun, but not quite as insane as your RX7. Heh.

- Ca$h
Your Neon should scoot with that powerplant.
Not all minis are slow, Take this one for instance
http://pages.cthome.net/gus/mini.html
Jim

-Bertrand Russell -
Old 01-05-2003, 03:58 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph
What kind of AM parts are you looking for from Japan? I import parts for people once a while.
L
Nothing pressing or specific at this time, just wanted to get a feel for what was out there but I will definately run it by you if I find something that I just have to have
thanks for the offer.
Jim

-Bertrand Russell -
Old 01-06-2003, 02:05 PM
$VX

Heh. Here's another:

www.turbominivan.com

- Rob
Old 01-06-2003, 02:17 PM

Registered SVX

that circle track footage is hilarious. I'd hate to be owned by something that has a baby seat in the back and looks like a shoebox.

-Bertrand Russell -