IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2012, 08:16 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
OEM struts. Options?

I hope this is in the right section.

I recently got me a SVX. Really clean in appearance, but leaking a little oil and no service history. 150 k miles

decided to take care of the leaks and replace the timing belt. Needed rear brakes too. One item I was not expecting because the inspection before i bought the car did not identify it was a blown out strut. I like the stock ride, I am wanting a comfortable commuting car, so I was thinking OEM struts. Now I read that there may be issues with OEM because they have been on a shelf too long. They have a 12 month guarantee. I don't really know of any other option tho. Right. Is there one? There is a thread about some custom struts being made at $1400 a set.
What are my odds of early failure with oem struts?

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by SUPER; 10-09-2012 at 07:11 AM. Reason: set, not pair. Fixed my mistake
Old 10-09-2012, 05:28 AM

Re: OEM struts. Options?

If you're not interested in any sort of performance setup the only sensible choice is to buy Subaru struts (and take your chances). I've had "new" struts on one of mine for awhile with no issues. Of course, one could fail tomorrow. It's a 21 year old car. Anything could fail tomorrow.

dcb
Old 10-09-2012, 07:29 AM
Grand Poo-Bah

Send a message via AIM to halistan Send a message via MSN to halistan Send a message via Yahoo to halistan
Registered SVX

If you're going to just get a couple of struts and nothing else, then the best viable option is to get the OEM struts from subaru. Before I decided on getting the AMR struts I read every post I could find on them and only found 1 instance where someone said they failed and it was within 3-4 months of getting them. If you have a 12 month warranty I'm sure you'll be fine.

However, I didn't just want to buy struts but also wanted to get new springs, bushings ect. I called subaru and for all 4 struts, springs, strut mounts, etc it was going to be around $1600. That being said I decided to go with the AMR ones because the cost would be about the same for what I was doing and these have a lifetime warranty. I thought this might be a better option for the long term.
All new and improved custom built engine with forged internals, lowered compression, upgraded cams and a stage III supercharger. AMR Engineering struts, Custom exhaust --All 3 Subaru cats removed, and replaced with 2 high flow mustang cats-- Cross-drilled & Slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, bypassed stock Tranny cooler replaced with aftermarket B&M super-cooler, and a K&N drop in air filter.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:00 AM

Registered SVX

Keep in mind them OEM strut warranty only covers the parts.
You will have to pay the labor to remove and install them again if they fail.

The struts themselves are only $126, its the labor that drive it to that $1600 quote..
Old 10-09-2012, 09:22 AM
Alleged User

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by halistan View Post
If you're going to just get a couple of struts and nothing else, then the best viable option is to get the OEM struts from subaru. Before I decided on getting the AMR struts I read every post I could find on them and only found 1 instance where someone said they failed and it was within 3-4 months of getting them. If you have a 12 month warranty I'm sure you'll be fine.
I have come to this same conclusion. I searched as many of these strut threads as I could find, and I could only find one person who had first hand experience with OEM struts failing.

Also there is evidence in this thread that a more recent run of OEM struts was made:
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...t=60263&page=2

1997 SVX LSi Bordeaux Pearl
1995 SVX L AWD Polo Green - 277k miles
1986 Pontiac Fiero 3.4L Twin Dual Cam V6
Old 10-09-2012, 10:57 AM
Grand Poo-Bah

Send a message via AIM to halistan Send a message via MSN to halistan Send a message via Yahoo to halistan
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookin4SVX View Post
Keep in mind them OEM strut warranty only covers the parts.
You will have to pay the labor to remove and install them again if they fail.

The struts themselves are only $126, its the labor that drive it to that $1600 quote..
Let's not be melodramatic now :P Last time I had my struts replaced my local mechanic said it was a pretty easy job. He charged me $30/strut for installation and had all 4 done in a couple hours.

Granted, that was a while back (7-8 years or so), but when I placed the order for the AMR ones, I asked him how much it would be and he said he could still do it for about $40/strut.
All new and improved custom built engine with forged internals, lowered compression, upgraded cams and a stage III supercharger. AMR Engineering struts, Custom exhaust --All 3 Subaru cats removed, and replaced with 2 high flow mustang cats-- Cross-drilled & Slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, bypassed stock Tranny cooler replaced with aftermarket B&M super-cooler, and a K&N drop in air filter.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Let's not be melodramatic now :P Last time I had my struts replaced my local mechanic said it was a pretty easy job. He charged me $30/strut for installation and had all 4 done in a couple hours.

Granted, that was a while back (7-8 years or so), but when I placed the order for the AMR ones, I asked him how much it would be and he said he could still do it for about $40/strut.
It is no big deal to change them yourself...

Keith
Old 10-09-2012, 11:30 AM

Registered SVX

$100 each cash price no tax from my local subaru parts counter
Old 10-09-2012, 03:01 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Subaru's warranty is from the initial date of sale so if you get a set which lasts 4 months, get another that lasts 9 then you are out of warranty, just like I was. Not to mention the time in replacing or the money that you pay to replace them.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:12 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
Subaru's warranty is from the initial date of sale so if you get a set which lasts 4 months, get another that lasts 9 then you are out of warranty, just like I was. Not to mention the time in replacing or the money that you pay to replace them.
+1

In response to halistan...

There have been tons of cases of "new" OEM struts failing. Just because they aren't all documented and posted in one place or many aren't documented at all, doesn't mean that it's only been one case... This isn't a myth, and it has been going on for many, many years. You are much better buying used OEM struts for 1/3 the price of new OEM as the used will likely outlast the OEM anyway...
Old 10-09-2012, 09:24 PM

Registered SVX

another option you have is koni inserts that option may not be lasting too much longer but for right quality and it pretty long lasting strut that would be perfect
Old 10-10-2012, 06:42 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

There is strong evidence that there was a new manufacturing run of struts in 2007. People have argued the logic in this but they don't run car companies who depend on customer loyalty. I think there is a good enough reason to believe it to justify buying them. Of those who experienced premature failures, we have no way of knowing how many of them got old ones and how many got the potentially newer ones. So, yes, there is risk involved. But my car is a 96 with 100K on it so it is one of the younger SVXs out there with below average mileage and its front struts are going. I find it hard to believe used is lower risk than new and especially if new was made in 2007. You would have to put in three sets of OEM struts before you spend more than you would spend on the custom built ones. Again, it comes down to risk analysis. If half of the OEM struts are bad, you are still, statistically, better off buying OEM versus custom.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 10-10-2012, 07:35 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
There is strong evidence that there was a new manufacturing run of struts in 2007. People have argued the logic in this but they don't run car companies who depend on customer loyalty.
Call it "reason to believe" and I'll give that to you. Saying that Subaru is frightened of the possiblity of losing a few customers who are spiteful about empty shelves for their scarce epic sales flop is even more inane than the excessive confidence that's been expressed regarding modern parts.

I don't need to run a car company to know that support for a little known and (<admit it>) fading fast car for any reason beyond whim is wasteful. I also don't need to run a car company to know what support is demanded for long OOP cars; eleven years at a Tier 1 supplier that produced as many components in two days as the entire SVX run in seven years made it quite clear.

It's not good to spread speculation as gospel. Mind your footing?
Old 10-10-2012, 07:43 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
Call it "reason to believe" and I'll give that to you. Saying that Subaru is frightened of the possiblity of losing a few customers who are spiteful about empty shelves for their scarce epic sales flop is even more inane than the excessive confidence that's been expressed regarding modern parts.

I don't need to run a car company to know that support for a little known and (<admit it>) fading fast car for any reason beyond whim is wasteful. I also don't need to run a car company to know what support is demanded for long OOP cars; eleven years at a Tier 1 supplier that produced as many components in two days as the entire SVX run in seven years made it quite clear.

It's not good to spread speculation as gospel. Mind your footing?
I just said there was evidence. Based on the date codes I posted in another thread, there is good reason to believe those aren't just stocking dates. I never said it was gospel. But is *IS* possible and you and I both know, stranger things have happened.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 10-10-2012, 08:00 AM

Registered SVX

I emailed my subaru parts guy about strut mfg dates, and he said he cant get mfg dates. Why is this the case, isnt there a date on everything made