SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-21-2012, 10:28 AM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
Oxygen sensors?

I got code 37, driver side 02.
I noticed the power steering was leaking and the 02 was wet.
So I replaced the rack and the 02.
Now I get code 32 and 37, both 02 sensors?

I have been getting hesitation on low RPMs uphill
I also noticed the engine wants to stall at idle
I've been having loss of power on take off
I noticed the main ground wire is not connected to the firewall,
but it was reconnected to the Trans top bracket? Is this ok?

The recent things done: Trans swap, fuel lines above gas tank, rack and 02 sensor

Any ideas? Please help! My mechanic wants to replace all the coils!
Old 03-21-2012, 10:58 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Oxygen sensors?

It should never be necessary to replace all the coils. Only the ones that are actually bad. Mechanics that do that want to fix the coils with certainty, so that customers don't come back if another one is also bad and think the mechanic is screwing them over. Coils are not very cheap for these cars.

First do some diagnostics. Unplug the MAF (before starting the car), and see if the car runs better with the MAF unplugged. Hesitation and stalling can be MAF related symptoms as well, and this is a very easy test.

If you're getting O2 sensor codes, then that can mean either that the O2 sensor is getting an out-of-range reading, or that it's actually bad. O2 sensor codes do not automatically mean that they need to be replaced. They can throw a code if the car is running lean, and there is excess 02, or if one or more cylinders isn't getting spark. No spark = O2 and fuel in the cylinder didn't combust, and the O2 sensor is detecting excess O2 as a result. So a coil or 2 is a possibility, as is a spark plug or two, wiring to them, or bad grounding to the engine. (And other things, these are just what seem related based on what you said).

Check the grounds. The battery ground in front of the battery, the engine ground kind of near the starter, and the smaller ground near the dogbone mount. If you want you can also add another ground - more grounds never hurt anything.

Also check the air filter to make sure it's not super dirty or something.

"fuel lines above gas tank" - If the engine is not getting enough fuel like the fuel filter is clogged or something, then that could cause low power and hesitation as well (and O2 code). Might be worth exploring, but check the other things first.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 03-21-2012, 11:18 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

What brand of O2 sensor did you get?

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 03-22-2012, 04:28 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX

OK, I unplugged the MAF and started the car. It lasted for about 10 seconds and then it stalled. What does that mean?
One other thing comes to mind, the mechanic sprayed some dielectric spray into the connectors of the 02 sensors, the good one and the new one.
Would this cause anything?

Last edited by dannmarr; 03-22-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:55 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
It should never be necessary to replace all the coils. Only the ones that are actually bad. Mechanics that do that want to fix the coils with certainty, so that customers don't come back if another one is also bad and think the mechanic is screwing them over.
a lot of that is how labor times are booked. most cars pay a certain time for 1 coil and add .1 for each additional even though it's a ton more work. it saves money in the long run because the initial coil covers most of the labor cost.

you shouldn't spray dielectric grease into o2 connectors, it can give you a bad connection. i would clean it off.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:02 PM

Registered SVX

Any idea when the Coolant temp sensor was last replaced? Have you ever had "hard starting" issues?

When were the spark plugs done last?
Old 03-22-2012, 05:55 PM

Registered SVX

Unplug the battery for 10 mins and try the maf unplugged again. Sometimes it stalls and I'm not sure why. Also try giving it a little gas to keep it from dying and then let it warm up and see if it will idle then.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 03-22-2012, 05:56 PM
My Other car is a GENIUS Car!
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Just to throw my .02 cents in, I had the same problem as this before and replaced both sensors and was still getting both codes thrown as well. Within a months time I started getting xmas lights on the dash which means my alternator finally kicked the bucket. After I replaced my alternator the codes for both o2 sensors being thrown went away.... so I pinpointed a faulty alternator as the issue for throwing both codes on new sensors with wonky voltage spinning the system for a loop somehow. This may not be your issue but it's worth testing it just in case.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:40 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX

Thanks for the responses!
I don't have trouble starting. I never had the temp sensor changed.
About the alternator, when I'm at idle the voltage drops bringing up the dash lights up so slightly, you can only see it at night. Then the engine revs and it goes away. It doesn't happen all the time.
The spark plugs were done about 50k miles ago.
I'll try unpuging the battery and the MAF.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:15 PM

Registered SVX

You should never see dash lights at all it sounds like the alternator.

*I would also like to note that running on a bad alternator for an extended period of time, short or long drives, will eventually wreck havoc on your car. It can and will eventually destroy your battery and create unnecessary stress on other components that are suffering from being under powered causing much more damage down the line than good.

Last edited by Subix; 03-22-2012 at 07:24 PM. Reason: e
Old 03-22-2012, 09:16 PM
Designated Asshole

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subix View Post
*I would also like to note that running on a bad alternator for an extended period of time, short or long drives, will eventually wreck havoc on your car. It can and will eventually destroy your battery and create unnecessary stress on other components that are suffering from being under powered causing much more damage down the line than good.
Yeah...like making your front diff explode..

Maybe that was just coincidence?
Old 03-22-2012, 09:22 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckls View Post
Yeah...like making your front diff explode..

Maybe that was just coincidence?
I was honestly being serious and referring to the various other components and pumps that require proper/consistent power to run properly.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:46 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subix View Post
I was honestly being serious and referring to the various other components and pumps that require proper/consistent power to run properly.
Chuckls's front diff exploded after his alternator went bad.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:00 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX

Alright, I found a vacuum hose disconnected. It was the large one on the driver's side. I cleared the codes and drove for awhile. The 02 sensor codes did not come up so far.
I filled the tank with premium, added fuel injector cleaner and replaced the fuel filter. The car seems to drive better and no dash lights.
I also disconnected the MAF and drove around with no problem except for when it is in park, it wants to stall. What is supposed to happen when you disconnect the MAF?
Old 03-23-2012, 05:02 PM

Registered SVX

when the maf is disconnected it calculates the airflow based on the engine rpm and several other sensors instead of using the actual measurement of the maf. it should run fine with it disconnected. you may want to check your tps.
1956 Plymouth Belvedere - Daisy
1967 Chevy C20
1953 Chevy 210
1969 Plymouth Satellite
1949 Chevy Thriftmaster
1959 Chevy Apache
1951 Chevy Stepside
1969 Chevy Camper Special
1978 Ford F150 w/ stroked 460
1986 Volvo 740 turbo wagon
1999 GMC 2500 Creep Van
1994 Impreza Outback