Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-14-2012, 12:55 PM

Transmission Acting up again!

Hey guys been away from the forums for a while but i got 2 questions so here i go

i had my transmission replaced about 2 months ago and it had this problem where if i keep it under 2k rpm when going from (what i'm assuming) 2nd-3rd gear the revs kick up to about 3-4k rpm then shift and runs fine. It did it even after i blew the tranny and got it rebuilt at a local transmission shop is there anyway of fixing it without taking it fully apart?
Old 03-14-2012, 01:26 PM

Re: Transmission Acting up again!

And second question is my rear main is leaking pretty bad how much of a job is it and how much on average am I looking if I get someone else to do it?
Old 03-14-2012, 04:27 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianSVX View Post
Hey guys been away from the forums for a while but i got 2 questions so here i go

i had my transmission replaced about 2 months ago and it had this problem where if i keep it under 2k rpm when going from (what i'm assuming) 2nd-3rd gear the revs kick up to about 3-4k rpm then shift and runs fine. It did it even after i blew the tranny and got it rebuilt at a local transmission shop is there anyway of fixing it without taking it fully apart?
To do this from 2nd to 3rd the band is releasing before the high clutch comes on. You could try adjusting the brake band to see if that will take the slack out of the band to stop the flaring between the shifts.

On the left side of the box, a square adjusting screw with a 17mm lock nut. Loosen the lock nut, tighten the adjusting screw to 6.5 ft lbs, about as tight as you can get it with two fingers on a 4" spanner. This tightens the band on the drum, then back the screw off 3 full turns to set the clearance. Lock the 17 mm nut up.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:40 PM

Registered SVX

if you just had the trans rebuilt don't mess with it. take it back and have them adjust it because anything you do will give them a chance to try and get out of fixing it for free (which they should do). also, they should have replaced the rear main seal while the trans was out.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:29 AM

thanks guys yah i thought they should have replaced the rear main seal to but its a transmission shop not a egnine shop i now their gunna say that, but i would have assumed they would have at least mentioned it to me while they had it apart. Is it a big job to do? if not i could do it myself
Old 03-15-2012, 08:07 AM

Registered SVX

you either have to take out the engine or transmission to replace the rear main. that's why you replace it every time you remove either. any good trans shop will include this. if they have to remove the trans again offer to pay the extra half hour of labor and price of the seal.