Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-20-2011, 06:54 AM

Seeking recommendations re: upgrading brakes ?

I just got my SVX back after 3 years of storage and then approx. $2,500 of work ... new valve covers & other stuff around there, new MAF, new TCU from ECUtune along with Stage1AV1 ECU module, installation of a transmission cooler, new spark plugs, tranny fluid flush and other sundry work.

Damn .. it runs very very nicely indeed !

And .. it's been garage kept since I acquired it in 1996 with 48,000 kms on the odometer (now 177K = 110K miles). Seats in great condition, sun visors perky, even managed to clean up quite nicely the driver's side arm rest where the Escaine always gets greased up from dirt and human effluent.

The SVX has lived in Vancouver since new, so there's nary a hint of rust anywhere on the body and the underside of the car is completely clean ... clean !

I've had the car and gone this far .. lots of patience required to believe in this car's potential to say yes to the time and $$'s I've spent so far. And since it's now (FINALLY!) driving like a solid and hot-ass little coupe with new shift maps, etc., I think its worth it to address the braking.

So .. if I want to take the braking on this car up a notch or two ...

Any suggestions ?
Old 04-20-2011, 07:16 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX
Re: Seeking recommendations re: upgrading brakes ?

OT's big brake kit? That's the most inexpensive one I can think of. Either that or going all the way for some Brembo's or Movit brakes. Then again, they are expensive as hell.

How about the big brake kit, dimple slotted rotors, rebuilt or new calipers (powdercoated), ceramic brakes, and some stainless steel brake lines?
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 04-20-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
OT's big brake kit? That's the most inexpensive one I can think of. Either that or going all the way for some Brembo's or Movit brakes. Then again, they are expensive as hell.

How about the big brake kit, dimple slotted rotors, rebuilt or new calipers (powdercoated), ceramic brakes, and some stainless steel brake lines?

Link to additional information ... if you have it, please ?

Would (in your opinion) just putting on good slotted rotors (or Bradi blanks) and new better ceramic pads be sufficient if I am not a hard-driving hound ?
Old 04-20-2011, 07:57 AM
Finally HAS a 3rd pedal!!

Send a message via AIM to ridered777 Send a message via MSN to ridered777 Send a message via Yahoo to ridered777

You could PM OT (Svxfiles), or go here to order: http://www.svxfiles.com/brakes.html I don't know if they're still available based on the message on the top of that URL.

The full upgrade kit is what I've been running for several years now. Very pleased with performance. Can be a little squeaky when wet/cold, but that's because I got the dimpled and slotted rotors. They work great for Auto-X (If only my sloppy stock suspension could keep up!)

With regards to it being enough, it's been discussed on here before, the stock brakes are sufficient enough to get ABS to engage, which means a big brake kit is not necessary for better braking (tires would be the first step). The only real benefit the big brake kits offer is more surface area / airflow, to dissipate the heat, which means less brake fade on track days. From the way you describe your driving, I think OT's kit will be more than enough for you, and its a great price to boot.

94 LSi 5spd Barcelona Red, 14Xk miles.

Full custom exhaust (Stebro cat-back, custom rest of the way forward) 8000K HID kit from Tom (SVXfiles), Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings, Non-Droopy visors, Race Concepts C/D + Dimpled Rotors, Axxis Ultimate pads,SS brake lines, Bontrager Works #009 (or something like that), stripped interior.

(up next) Full cage, fuel cell, 327 swap
Old 04-20-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridered777 View Post
You could PM OT (Svxfiles), or go here to order: http://www.svxfiles.com/brakes.html I don't know if they're still available based on the message on the top of that URL.

From the way you describe your driving, I think OT's kit will be more than enough for you, and its a great price to boot.
Thanks for that info .. called him to clarify message, and unfortunately he does not offer the Upgrade Package any longer.

So, I guess I will have to source my own slotted rotors and pads.

Based on what I've read, think I will go with Akebono ProACT ceramic pads ..

So .. any one have any recommendations as to best sources for rotors ?

ebay ?? .. I think given the way I drive I can probably go with Bradi blanks (again, based on what I have read in forums) but recommendations about sources for well-performing slotted rotorrs will be appreciated.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:32 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

I'm a big fan of Akebono's ceramics.

If you go slotted, this should settle your directional concerns: <linky>.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:34 AM

I fitted EBC Redstuff brakepads, DBA slotted discs and braided lines on the front. EBC redstuff brakepads and EBC brakediscs rear...

FANTASTIC UPGRADE.....and looks much nicer.
Now I just received some WRC 18 inch Subaru wheels made to order for my SVX.....so this will look awsome as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obewon View Post
Thanks for that info .. called him to clarify message, and unfortunately he does not offer the Upgrade Package any longer.

So, I guess I will have to source my own slotted rotors and pads.

Based on what I've read, think I will go with Akebono ProACT ceramic pads ..

So .. any one have any recommendations as to best sources for rotors ?

ebay ?? .. I think given the way I drive I can probably go with Bradi blanks (again, based on what I have read in forums) but recommendations about sources for well-performing slotted rotorrs will be appreciated.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:41 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX

I would also get SS braided brake lines. Older stock lines tend to flex a bit on braking. I have bought a couple sets from these Canadians. They will accept a little lower offer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-97...Q5fAccessories

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 04-20-2011, 09:51 AM

Registered SVX

I bought these from napa.
https://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...RecType%3aA%29
Been good and work well, and have a lifetime warranty. Don't know what they sell to the public as but they were about a hundred bucks for me, and knowing I can warranty them instead of turning them is nice as well.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:48 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Most of your braking is in the front. You just need decent brakes in the rear for normal driving. Here are good rear brakes that are nice and cheap:

http://www.partsgeek.com/pdproducts/...k+PriceGrabber

That lets you go for better brakes in the front:

http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/6...0A2597011.aspx

I have cryo rotors on my Tribeca and I like them. These are also slotted which is the best option (versus drilled) for avoiding warping according to what I have read.

About pads, I put the Akebono ceramics on the front of my Tribeca and, again, I am happy with them. However, metal impregnated carbon is supposedly better for reducing warping.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...6&autoModClar=

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 04-20-2011, 11:05 AM

Registered SVX

i wouldn't buy brake parts from autoanything. i tried to get the disc brakes Australia rotors and they sent me 3 sets of wrong rotors, it took me 3 months to get my money back, and their customer service was terrible.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:17 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

I got my brake rotors from here: http://www.r1concepts.com/subaru-svx-1994-4wd.htm

They are very good, I like them a lot, and they're very good for the price. Get the "premium" ones of course. (I used the premium up front and the regular ones in the back). The DBA (disc brakes of australia) I have heard very good things about here on the forums, but it seemed like a hassle trying to find out where to get them from.

I also used EBC redstuff brakepads, and I really like them as well.

Also superblue brake fluid: http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/acces...tail.jsp?ID=21
Or the yellow stuff that's the same: http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/acces...tail.jsp?ID=22

What many people do is just alternate the yellow and blue each time they change it that way you can tell really easily when the old fluid is done coming out.

Also SS brake lines are great, I got some of the Ebay ones for like $60 and they feel great.

And adjust the brake pedal so that there is less free play, just because it'll feel better.

Grippier tires = more useful stopping power. Once the ABS kicks in, the biggest brakes in the world aren't going to stop you any faster. They will, however, handle the heat better, but the rotors and pads I linked should handle the heat very well. I think two-piece rotors would be even less likely to warp from heat, but I don't know if there are any that fit the SVX or how expensive they are.

I haven't gotten it to the track yet, but my setup handles my spirited driving really well, and has handled my brother's borderline reckless driving just fine too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92snowmachine View Post
i wouldn't buy brake parts from autoanything. i tried to get the disc brakes Australia rotors and they sent me 3 sets of wrong rotors, it took me 3 months to get my money back, and their customer service was terrible.
I also do not like autoanything. Ordered the EBC pads from there and they were out of stock, but didn't tell me for a couple weeks and I had to cancel and re-order elsewhere.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 04-20-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
I got my brake rotors from here: http://www.r1concepts.com/subaru-svx-1994-4wd.htm

They are very good, I like them a lot, and they're very good for the price. Get the "premium" ones of course. (I used the premium up front and the regular ones in the back). The DBA (disc brakes of australia) I have heard very good things about here on the forums, but it seemed like a hassle trying to find out where to get them from.

I also used EBC redstuff brakepads, and I really like them as well.

Also superblue brake fluid: http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/acces...tail.jsp?ID=21
Or the yellow stuff that's the same: http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/acces...tail.jsp?ID=22

What many people do is just alternate the yellow and blue each time they change it that way you can tell really easily when the old fluid is done coming out.

Also SS brake lines are great, I got some of the Ebay ones for like $60 and they feel great.

And adjust the brake pedal so that there is less free play, just because it'll feel better.

Grippier tires = more useful stopping power. Once the ABS kicks in, the biggest brakes in the world aren't going to stop you any faster. They will, however, handle the heat better, but the rotors and pads I linked should handle the heat very well. I think two-piece rotors would be even less likely to warp from heat, but I don't know if there are any that fit the SVX or how expensive they are.

I haven't gotten it to the track yet, but my setup handles my spirited driving really well, and has handled my brother's borderline reckless driving just fine too.

+1
have slotted rotors and ceramic pads from R1 and the difference was huge. Stops WAY better and price was very reasonable.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:17 PM

Registered SVX

I bought all four drilled & slotted Rotors on ebay for $148.99 with Free shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Stainless brake lines for $54.95 on ebay Free shipping as well

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Akebono ProAct 333 (fronts) $54.79 & 471 $53.81(Rears) from Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...t333&x=19&y=17

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...t471&x=11&y=24
Old 04-20-2011, 02:04 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92snowmachine View Post
OK, how about this:

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/part...ont_Cryo/10930

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything