IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-14-2010, 02:56 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Fuel Economy

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...ervlet/home___

Advance auto parts still has NGK direct fit O2's for 49.99 each. They have worked flawlessly on mine for 8 months so far.

If the link no workie its Advanceautoparts.com, select your car, then type in oxygen sensor in the search box. Then click the link for "replacement parts".

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:29 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

I just got my first read on my mileage and I get about 20.25 MPG. I do a pretty even split between highway and city. I spend more miles on the highway but I probably consume and equal amount of gas on each. I know at least one of the car's O2 sensors was replaced by the previous owner.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:36 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
I just got my first read on my mileage and I get about 20.25 MPG. I do a pretty even split between highway and city. I spend more miles on the highway but I probably consume and equal amount of gas on each. I know at least one of the car's O2 sensors was replaced by the previous owner.
Highway mileage should be markedly better due to the torque converter lock-up and the SVX's low drag coefficient. Mine gets right around 30mpg on level highway cruising at 70-75. City mileage cuts it almost in half for me, since shes a heavy beast and I have a tendency to hit the gas hard from lights.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:19 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
Highway mileage should be markedly better due to the torque converter lock-up and the SVX's low drag coefficient. Mine gets right around 30mpg on level highway cruising at 70-75. City mileage cuts it almost in half for me, since shes a heavy beast and I have a tendency to hit the gas hard from lights.
I have about the same as you. 28 on the highway and 16-18 around town no matter how hard I drive it. A/C seems to sap a little...down to 16 as opposed to 18 perhaps.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 09-28-2010, 09:39 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Just searching up a random fuel economy thread to state that I pulled 19.77mpg 90/10% city/highway. I used a full tank in 4 days, lots of stop and go, warm starts, and cold morning idling, and my 8.25 inch wide tires*. I even gave it the beans a couple times, but low throttle over all.

I'm convinced the SVX can get 20mpg city and do it consistently under "good" conditions.

(I feel like gloating just a bit more)
and with ECUTune stage 2, and my 02 sensors are factory original, and I haven't changed my oil since March, and my driveline is in need of replacement, and...

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.

Last edited by NikFu S.; 09-28-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:43 PM
Panik

Registered SVX

eek... I get like 17 average mpg per tank with mostly highway driving i have a 60 minute drive on a 60 mile an hour highway with about 20 minutes worth of city driving included in that 60 minutes to get to my school. I also have rough idle. Could bad coil packs cause that much loss in fuel economy or am I missing something else?

Basically I'm saying I couldn't even dream of 20mpg city but that my be just me DX
Old 09-29-2010, 11:02 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannal1113 View Post
eek... I get like 17 average mpg per tank with mostly highway driving i have a 60 minute drive on a 60 mile an hour highway with about 20 minutes worth of city driving included in that 60 minutes to get to my school. I also have rough idle. Could bad coil packs cause that much loss in fuel economy or am I missing something else?

Basically I'm saying I couldn't even dream of 20mpg city but that my be just me DX
Not enough spark can definitely cause bad gas mileage among other things. I am able to get over 20 mpg with no problem with any of my SVXi that I have. And average 30-32 mpg with the laguna fwd, even with the a/c on. When running right, they can get good gas mileage as well.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:43 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikFu S. View Post
Just searching up a random fuel economy thread to state that I pulled 19.77mpg 90/10% city/highway. I used a full tank in 4 days, lots of stop and go, warm starts, and cold morning idling, and my 8.25 inch wide tires*. I even gave it the beans a couple times, but low throttle over all.

I'm convinced the SVX can get 20mpg city and do it consistently under "good" conditions.

(I feel like gloating just a bit more)
and with ECUTune stage 2, and my 02 sensors are factory original, and I haven't changed my oil since March, and my driveline is in need of replacement, and...
With only a change to a more conservative driving style I have managed +19mpg for my last 7 tanks, and even eked out one 21.24mpg tank with highway trips only being 2-3 miles at a shot.
My data isn't accurate enough to tell me whether octane booster additive is a worthwhile investment but the numbers are showing what you would expect, that 10-20 ounces of combustible liquid will net a .2-.4mpg increase over nothing on 90 grade.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.