Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2009, 08:24 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
Re: Time to play "Which sensor's broken?"!!!

will do tomorrow. Can somebody link me to the MAF test procedure. I know the cam/crank sensors require an oscilliscope to check, so I'll just have to wait for my temporary replacements to arrive from Tom soon.

Are all 4 of these sensors in a default tuning map when the vehicle is warming up?

Seems like it couldn't even idle cold without a crank angle sensor as it'd have no basis for timing. What about cam position sensors...can it idle cold without those? How about MAF? If my memory serves me correctly, it can idle cold without MAF input.
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 09-25-2009, 10:02 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX10 View Post
will do tomorrow. Can somebody link me to the MAF test procedure. I know the cam/crank sensors require an oscilliscope to check, so I'll just have to wait for my temporary replacements to arrive from Tom soon.

Are all 4 of these sensors in a default tuning map when the vehicle is warming up?

Seems like it couldn't even idle cold without a crank angle sensor as it'd have no basis for timing. What about cam position sensors...can it idle cold without those? How about MAF? If my memory serves me correctly, it can idle cold without MAF input.
The car wont run at all without a MAF input.... it needs to know how much air the engines ingesting in order to supply the right amount of fuel. A bad MAF would act up cold or hot. Crank and cam sensors can be visually inspected, and also tested to some degree with a multimeter, using a metal object paseed back and forth in front of the magnet and looking for a voltage jump.

You have already thrown a code for the Crank sensor, I dont believe some of the others have read through the entire post or that would be the first recommendation made, to inspect the sensor AND wiring/harness, clean, and replace if the cleaning and inspection didnt help solve the problem.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:15 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Just read this and sounds familiar...

Recently I had to do a knock sensor job so I rinsed the warm engine down with some cool water... Well the water worked its way into the crank angle sensor wiring... Car would idle perfectly, but would not rev over 1600RPM. No codes, no lights just loss of ignition... Check that harness for resistance from the angle sensor connectors all the way back to the bulkhead harness connector at the back of the engine. If you find a wire with high reisistance, it is likely the harness dealing with some signal contamination

Tom
Old 09-26-2009, 01:18 AM

great...thanks for the tips. I'll dig in with my digital multimeter tomorrow Kinda excited to do a little diagnosis!
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

Old 09-26-2009, 01:42 PM

checked the cam and crank sensors and connectors. found 2.7k ohms resistance across rhe sensors and .87k ohms across the connectors. i know i can`t really test the sensors by resistance but i did anyway =) swapped the position of the 2 sensors that are the same and wrapped electrical tape around where the wire insulation was broken @ the connector for the sensor on the side of the engine. still stalls when warm. starts again no prob though. runs for a few sec then stalls. ugh

Old 09-26-2009, 01:45 PM
Maniac modifier

im sorry but you try changing the MAF right??

Tom
Old 09-26-2009, 06:57 PM

yea...but I don't know how to know if either of the 2 I have are any good.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:01 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
yea...but I don't know how to know if either of the 2 I have are any good.
If the symptoms are the same with either one installed you can pretty much eliminate the MAF itself as a cause.

Quick question, you DID replace the coolant temp sensor with a new one yes?

The fact that the car runs fine cold but starts acting up when it gets warm really seems like a timing or mixture problem. One possibility I came up with while racking my brain going over your thread, is maybe the ECU is constantly detecting a cold engine via the CTS and not going into closed loop. The ECU adjusts timing and mixture based on the temperature signal it receives from the CTS, and that may be why it runs great when cold but after the engine warms up it starts giving you problems.

If you have already replaced the CTS, test it with a multimeter (cold and hot), and also check the harness connector. If yours is like mine, the wires bend almost 180 degrees from the wire loom to the CTS connector because of where the wires come out of the loom, making a wire problem very possible.

Another thing could be the Auxilary Air Control valve sticking, I believe this valve provides the extra air to increase your cold idle speed. If this valve does not shut when the engine warms up, it will make the engine run too lean causing idling and stalling issues. The bypass air control valve (aka IAC valve) could also be a problem, if its clogged, once the auxillary air control valve closes when the engine reaches normal temp theres nothing else to supply air to the engine without the throttle being pressed, which of course will stall it.

Hope this helps, if I can think of anything else ill post it up, keep us informed of any more tests or symptoms you have.

RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:49 PM

Thanks for the additional input. I'll try swapping the MAF again to make sure. I did install a new Coolant Temp Sensor bought from Subaru. What voltage/resistance do I want to measure on that thing?

It definitely seems like a timing/mixture issue as the engine switches into closed loop operation, and I would assume that unplugging the CTS throws it into a default map that runs well. But even this trick didn't work last time (Monday).

I cleaned the IAC, and I think I checked the aux air control valve also. It's been acting up so long I can't even remember what all I've checked. However, it stalls even if I have the throttle open to 2k rpm or so...not just at idle. So I don't think it's that. It's something that controls mixture/timing at all times, not just idle.

Here's to hoping the cam/crank position sensors or MAF will fix it.

I'll keep you posted

Old 09-27-2009, 03:00 PM
Maniac modifier

you have checked the timing marks to make sure the belt didn't slip right? If they are aligned properly, I would pull the LH gear off and make sure it hasn't backed the bolt out enough to allow the cam and gear alignment to become trashed (have seen this before more than once)...

Tom
Old 09-27-2009, 05:45 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Thanks for the additional input. I'll try swapping the MAF again to make sure. I did install a new Coolant Temp Sensor bought from Subaru. What voltage/resistance do I want to measure on that thing?

It definitely seems like a timing/mixture issue as the engine switches into closed loop operation, and I would assume that unplugging the CTS throws it into a default map that runs well. But even this trick didn't work last time (Monday).

I cleaned the IAC, and I think I checked the aux air control valve also. It's been acting up so long I can't even remember what all I've checked. However, it stalls even if I have the throttle open to 2k rpm or so...not just at idle. So I don't think it's that. It's something that controls mixture/timing at all times, not just idle.

Here's to hoping the cam/crank position sensors or MAF will fix it.

I'll keep you posted
Was it the proper CTS? Not the sensor for the gauge. Is there a CEL present?

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 09-27-2009, 07:41 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael View Post
Was it the proper CTS? Not the sensor for the gauge. Is there a CEL present?
He mentioned earlier they pulled a code for the crank sensor..............

Since the car dies even when revving, this is #1 on the list of things to replace, assuming you have already verified that the wiring and harness are ok.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
you have checked the timing marks to make sure the belt didn't slip right? If they are aligned properly, I would pull the LH gear off and make sure it hasn't backed the bolt out enough to allow the cam and gear alignment to become trashed (have seen this before more than once)...

Tom
Wouldn't this cause it to run poorly even when cold? If none of the sensors fix the issue, then I'll start to dig into stuff like this. I'll try re-soldering both MAFs as well.

Why did Subaru make it so freakin hard to check timing marks.

I'm getting close to just paying $700 for a lower mileage engine swap.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:30 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Wouldn't this cause it to run poorly even when cold? If none of the sensors fix the issue, then I'll start to dig into stuff like this. I'll try re-soldering both MAFs as well.

Why did Subaru make it so freakin hard to check timing marks.

I'm getting close to just paying $700 for a lower mileage engine swap.
Low mileage does not always mean better IMHO

It is pretty simple to check the timing marks, just remove the two end covers (4 bolt each) and get the marks on the gears to match the ones on the cover. Don't worry about the marks on the belt or on the crank yet.

If they line up, its time to pull all the belts and center pulley to check the timing between the crank and the cams. If this is good, it is time to pull the timing belt and cam gears to make sure they are not worn out.

Tom
Old 09-28-2009, 04:31 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
He mentioned earlier they pulled a code for the crank sensor..............

Since the car dies even when revving, this is #1 on the list of things to replace, assuming you have already verified that the wiring and harness are ok.
I'm just a little suspicious of this OBD1 code reader. If there is a code present the CEL would be on. I would want to check it myself after resetting the ECU. If he replaced the temp sensor it is possible he got the wrong one from the sales person.

Have you checked the ground on the back of the manifold yet?
P.S. If you go checking the timing marks turn the motor by the bolt on the crank pulley and not the cam gears. This could easily cause the belt to slip.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel

Last edited by michael; 09-28-2009 at 04:35 PM.