Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-03-2002, 09:22 AM
BRSTYLESVX

Question i couldn't find an answer in ealier posts...

i'm pretty sure this has been asked before, and im sorry for asking but i really couldnt find the answer in ealier posts... only half answers...

I just bought a 92 LS-L ... from what i understand i really need a tranny cooler rite? ok... my questions are...

obs.: in an earlier post i said it was a 93 LS-L.. BS the mowfow lied and i bought it... but just out of curiosity i checked the sticker thingy... 92 it was.. made him give me back some money... but it's ok... lol

1) how do i know if the person has already installed one? there's no gauge installed for the temp. but how do i know?

2) if it's really needed, then what tranny cooler should i get? where should i go to get it? how hard is the install? is it worth to have a tranny experts place do it? or a is there an easy "do-it-yourself" tranny cooler?

3) the guy i bought it from only owned the car for 2 years, and never replaced the transmission, and i don't know if the guy who owned it before replaced it.. should i have someone check my tranny to see if i need to replace it? or is there an easy test i can do myself?

another quick thing.. i was reading the difference in trim levels in all the years and stuff... am i really ignorant or the only major differences the FWD, AWD, Stereo and leather interior??? in all the years! it seems to be the same assembly! the exterior also doesnt look like there's any difference! lol or am i just really ignorant and didnt understand a damn thing on that? lol

Last edited by BRSTYLESVX; 07-03-2002 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-03-2002, 10:28 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
BRSTYLESVX,

I'll try to help you.

1) I f your SVX is all bright red, it's probably a '93. I think you are reading the plate on the driver's side door jamb. If you are interpreting the model year from the S/N code then it probably is a '92. If you are reading the manufacuturing date from the same plate, the car may be a '93 model year. if the car was made after July 92 it's most likely a '93. My '97 was built in August, 96.

2) I know the brand is B&M. I can't remember the exact model number. I think it is #1055, but don't hold me to that.
Too see if you have an aux. ATF cooler installed look between the 'glass' grill and radiator. It's easier to see from underneath the car. Much more important is to msake sure you have an ATF filter. Subaru had a recall on '92's & 93's to install an ATF filter. Look for a black canister about the size of a coffee mug. It has one hose going in and one hose going out. It is usually located under the shelf that where the battery sits.

3) The first thing you shoud do is get aCLEAN, WHITE paper towel. Pull out the ATF dip stick. clean the dip stick on the towel . Look carefully at the stain on the towel. It should be cran-apple juice color not pepsi cola (brownish) color. Smell it . If it smells a bit like burnt toast it was overheated. It should not look black and gritty. If you see dots (.......) you are going to have problems. Put the dip stick back, Wait. Now pull it out again. Run the dipstick between your thumb & forefinger. Rub the 2 fingers together. It should not feel gritty. If you have any symptoms, change the ATF. Most of us here use synthetic ATF, either Red Line or ATF. If you do not have the filter installed get one at a Suby dealer and get it installed when you change the ATF.

4) The differences in years & trim levels can be found on Joe Spitz's SVX web site.

Good Luck and welcome to the SVX family.

Larry III

PS: A word of advice. You are a new member. All the info you seek is avail. to you on this site's searchable datebase. I suggest you read the old posts and educate yourself. Please don't use foul language here, even if you are angry with the seller. It only demeans you.
Old 07-03-2002, 11:35 AM
Boone

Welcome to the club... the site Larry mentions is http://www.cars101.com/subaru_svx.html. A good FAQ is http://my.voyager.net/~tmclane/. Remember to look at all the features of this site.