How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-24-2002, 12:33 AM
punisher

The Key is stuck...

So now the ignition is stuck in the 'accessories' position. Sure, the car starts up, but the key will not come out of the ignition. I'm hoping just having the clock on 24/7 wont be enough to drain the battery.

And yes, before anyone chimes in, the car is in park; so, that's not why the key will not come out. This ever happen to anyone? I'm get a feeling the dealership will have to replace the ignition or whatever. Anyone know how much $$ that sort of thing runs?
Old 06-24-2002, 01:03 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Ok.

That's nothing. I put a 94 key in my 92 and it was stuck for a while too. The trick is to slowly keep wiggling it out. It will come out. Don't force it. You don't want to break or bend the sucker. Just gentle movements will make it come out by itself.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 06-24-2002, 01:25 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Dodgy solenoid

The key does not come out while the car is in D because a solenoid keeps it locked in. This solenoid is probably not clicking in on yours.

Either the solenoid is broken, or you have a loose connection. Probably a loose connection. Take off the plastic cladding on the steering column, and check the wiring to your ignition switch and its loom are all tight. They get loose with age and wear.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 06-24-2002, 06:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Sometimes, it's my steering wheel that keeps the key locked in. Apparently the steering wheel lock mechanism somehow interacts with the mechanism that prevents key removal when the car is not in park. Have you tried turning the wheel just a bit and see if that frees up the key?

KuoH
Old 06-24-2002, 06:57 PM
billisa

Or perhaps putting the car in D then back to Park a few times?
Old 06-24-2002, 08:57 PM
gcookaustin

So punisher did you get an SVX?

My key has always easily slid out of the ignition no matter what position it's in or what gear. I like it; that way I can pull the keys if I need another one on the ring to unlock something else and leave the car running, or if I need to lock the door while I leave it running. My key is awfully run down though...
Old 06-25-2002, 02:21 AM
punisher

Yeah man. This car musta done some quality sitting in its day, because not only is there a vast amount of maintance needed (dirty fluids, expired inspetion), there was also a very nice little nest, built by some sly critter no doubt, sitting under the engine.

I don't think the key is supposed to slide out of the car, except when it's off and when it's in park...but hell, if you like it, more power to ya. If my svx had that sweet feature, I wouldnt have had wasted my weekend and 70 bux. The mechanic had a heck of a time with it, but in the end all he did was take apart the ignition area and then pry the key out with pliars. It was a bum key I guess (not factory made key). Atleast he didn't have to replace the ignition. I can only imagine how much that would cost me.

I need to get the 90k tune up done soon, before the spark plugs melt to the engine.

Quote:
Originally posted by gcookaustin
So punisher did you get an SVX?

My key has always easily slid out of the ignition no matter what position it's in or what gear. I like it; that way I can pull the keys if I need another one on the ring to unlock something else and leave the car running, or if I need to lock the door while I leave it running. My key is awfully run down though...
Old 06-25-2002, 07:03 AM

Umm are you sure that you even need a key in the ignition at all anymore? Perhaps someone had already taken a screwdriver to it during it's time with a prior owner?

KuoH

Quote:
Old 06-25-2002, 10:26 PM
gcookaustin

I don't know; it's actually pretty picky about the key. I got the old original key and a copy of it that was probably made when it was newer. The newer copy has actual grooves; the old one is really smooth and pretty much flat. Both will work in the ignition, but when I made a copy of the copy it wouldn't work in the ignition (or any other locks). A copy of the old rounded original works fine in all of 'em. Weird.
Old 06-25-2002, 10:35 PM
punisher

Have you tried a copy of the copy of the copy??? Perhaps the two copies will cancel eachother out and it'll work.

Quote:
I don't know; it's actually pretty picky about the key. I got the old original key and a copy of it that was probably made when it was newer. The newer copy has actual grooves; the old one is really smooth and pretty much flat. Both will work in the ignition, but when I made a copy of the copy it wouldn't work in the ignition (or any other locks). A copy of the old rounded original works fine in all of 'em. Weird.
Old 06-25-2002, 10:39 PM
gcookaustin

Hmm, not sure. Anyway I do have three keys for it that work; I suppose that's enough
Old 06-26-2002, 07:57 AM
The Road Less Traveled

If you have an "original" key, there's a 4 digit code stamped on the key. Any dealer can cut a key based on the code, and won't require your worn out key.

Having said that, choose a competent dealer. I had one dealer that cut the keys off the code, and couldn't do it right if their life depended on it. They ended up blaming ALL my lock barrels as defective... RIGHT...

Another dealer made it without problems, and I made copies off that one without problems either.

If you don't have that 4 digit code, a dealer might be able to look it up for you.

VK
Old 06-26-2002, 08:15 AM

I'm not sure what the tumblers are made of, but I think that they are subject to some wear much like the keys are. So what happens if the key is new but the tumblers have excessive wear?

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by vkykam
Having said that, choose a competent dealer. I had one dealer that cut the keys off the code, and couldn't do it right if their life depended on it. They ended up blaming ALL my lock barrels as defective... RIGHT...
Old 06-26-2002, 09:26 PM
The Road Less Traveled

You get new tumblers, and have them key'd to match your keys. I think the tumbler's about $20-$30, and another $20-$30 to rekey it.

VK
Old 01-14-2003, 12:20 AM
tober76b

Quote:
Originally posted by punisher
Have you tried a copy of the copy of the copy??? Perhaps the two copies will cancel eachother out and it'll work.

you're crackin' me up!
----
ok, i realize this is an old post....just doin' a bit of searching on 'broken and key'.
my girlfriend broke my key off in my driver's side door.
any suggestions?
toby