Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under

Old 08-13-2008, 06:20 PM
Mechanical 'L' plater ahead

Help sourcing a boot leak

So I have a leak in the boot - found a fair bit of water in the spare tyre well after washing it the first time and when I pulled the trim and tyre out to mop it up, found a bit of rust on the underside of the spare and accessories, so it isn't a new thing.

Like I mentioned to svxistentialist, I want to make sure she's weatherproof before wet season hits 'cause when it rains up here it really rains.

I know there's a problem with the boot lid opener - the handle came off in my hand the other day (fortunately whole) but it opens fine with the key, so no drama for now. The plastic guard that runs across the sill is split where it goes under the boot catch, but that doesn't seem like a water leak, either. But maybe I'm wrong on both counts.

What I can see is hinky is the centre light panel - its out of whack and sticks out a little on the left hand side. Could this be a source?

I can't work out the attatchment points by sight/feel and I'm not about to go yanking.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Thanks,

Tania.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:31 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Help sourcing a boot leak

Tania the drains for the sunroof run down through the boot on each side. these are a common source of water in the boot. The other is the gaskets around the tail lights on each side that can leak.
Push on your doing fine.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:41 AM
it's ruby red - not burgundy!!

Registered SVX

There is something that you may want to try in order to track down where the water is getting in - I did this to track down a boot water leak in my Vortex.

Remove all of the trim in the boot area, fold the rear seats down, and take your SVX through an automatic car wash (preferably the type that uses high pressure water, rather than brushes). Have a good look into the boot while the water is spraying on the car, and you may see where it is getting in from.

That is the problem with water leaks - water will invariably collect at the lowest point, so it makes it very difficult to determine where it is getting in!

Nice SVX by the way................

...........I have always thought that Charcoal Grey is the best colour!

Jason.

1992 Ruby Red SVX - 165,000km

....now with sequential VIN numbers!

1986 Holden (Isuzu) Piazza Turbo - 225,000km

1993 Mercedes W140 S500 Coupe - 153,000km

1990 Mercedes W124 300D - 313,000km

EG33 + 4EAT + VTD AWD = SVX
Old 08-14-2008, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
Tania the drains for the sunroof run down through the boot on each side. these are a common source of water in the boot. The other is the gaskets around the tail lights on each side that can leak.
Push on your doing fine.

Harvey.
*smile* Thank you for the encouragement, Harvey, 'tis much appreciated.

I remember seeing the draining hoses on a sunroof schematic, but it didn't say where they drained to. Thank you.

I can see the drainage holes on the boot lid that match up with the holes on the bottom, but I couldn't spot any others, or anything that might be hoses and it doesn't seem right that the sunroof would would drain to there because of the electrics/lights. Have I missed something, or does it?

The centre light... umm.. thingy... is a problem. I hosed down the roof and rear of the car, dried it off, noticed water kept running down, so opened the boot & it was leaking out of the plastic casing. Did so for 5 minutes or so (+drying time) before it stopped. Again, that doesn't seem like it'd be 'normal' because of the electics. It was also obvious the gap where it isn't properly in the housing was letting in water running from the top of the boot.

I can see two bolts at its ends, and a few more inside the access panel, but don't know if that's the attatchment and can't find in the US workshop manual I have.

Could you or someone please pass on how, or where I can find the info?

grrrr... I really want that owner's manual!

Apologies to you and everyone else for the long posts. I'm kinda wordy by nature and am also trying to give all the info I think is needed so you odn't all have to ask me twenty questions to get it.

Plus, blame the sticky in the tech questions forum!

Thanks,
Tania.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDW-SVX View Post
There is something that you may want to try in order to track down where the water is getting in - I did this to track down a boot water leak in my Vortex.

Remove all of the trim in the boot area, fold the rear seats down, and take your SVX through an automatic car wash (preferably the type that uses high pressure water, rather than brushes). Have a good look into the boot while the water is spraying on the car, and you may see where it is getting in from.
That's a great tip and I'll give it a go, thanks Jason!

I found the leak after taking it to a wash it yourself place - she was really dusty and grimy when I got her, so wanted to use a high pressure hose for a first rinse and I did spray into the joins to clear them out so it probably explains the amount of water there was. The wheel well was literally awash!

Thank you for the compliment on my new precious and I'm with you on the charcoal, but hey I'm biased. While I was poking around before I joined I'd noticed in your sig that you have one and was interested in what you had to say about the colour name - I've seen both dark grey and charcoal written in Subaru literature. Also liked that there was at least one other around.

Have to admit that I've really only shown her good side so far but will post pics of her wounds. I want to do what I can to both pretty her up a bit and protect the body until I can manage a respray (and that's a while off!).

Tania.

Last edited by plantchick; 08-14-2008 at 05:24 AM. Reason: 'cause I'm a twit

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: