IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2002, 10:46 AM
Network Design Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryIII
Seriously,

One thing I would like to see is a complete set of shop manuals from '92 thru '97 ready to be scanned into computer and available to all members who have their dues paid. I have '92 manuals plus a '97 supplement available to be scanned. I'm sure others have 93, 94, 95, & 96 supplements that they can make avaiable. I think that the hard part is getting the non-USA or North American manuals for scanning.

OOH OOH OOH OOH

Online Maintenace Manuals!!! YES YES YES!!! of course I only think this because I havent spent the $$$ to buy my own set, but I would pay $40 a year (on TOP of normal membership fees) to have access to them, even if I didnt use them all the time, having them readily available, well, that would be worth a lot to A LOT of people, including myself.

Stickers are a must

Discounts at various stores etc Im sure would require some form of advertising, if not on the site, the newsletters/ magazines... but hey, anything is possible.

If you would like I can check with my local dealership to see how they would feel about such a beast with a few SVXers in the area...
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 06-12-2002, 11:01 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to svxqueen
I agree with Kelli
$20-$30 sounds great
Maybe a key chain or license plate frame
News letter with contact info on it , helpful tips......etc...

Amanda
Old 06-12-2002, 11:28 AM
mark10t

Are we going to have a secret handshake?

-Mark
Old 06-12-2002, 11:34 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Fair dues

Randy, Larry, Beav et al.

Just to throw a spanner in the works, I feel there is an element of cart before the horse in the way the question about fees and expectations was posed.

If we have a million members like the sad fools in the MG club, we can charge everybody a dollar, give them all a free transmission when it fails, and allow everyone 25 Terrabits of web space.

That won't happen.

My [uneducated in the value of a buck] guess is membership should be what is affordable to a good number of SVX nuts, anthing from 20 to 30 bucks seems reasonable.

For that, what do I want? Membership. I expect to pay this money for the running of the totally excellent website that is the glue that holds so many people together.

As a token of Membership, I would expect a windscreen sticker or an embroidered badge for my baseball cap/tshirt/wife/dog. I would expect a number of Members Only areas on the website. For me, the forums[fora?] should be open to ALL, read and post. However, non-members should not have access to the sort of technical information Larry is talking about, and should not have access to members' lockers.

Non-members should also not have access to any discount schemes or deals on insurance, service, parts etc that our committee are going to negotiate. Hopefully not in zebra stripe bikinis.

As I am too far away to avail of any tool exchange you may set up, I will just have to continue using my own tool.

There are a few other things I have in mind would be useful, but they cost, and will require a good number of paid-up members to finance. Hence my remark on "cart before the horse"

Let's get the show on the road, crawl before we walk, then look at the aspirational stuff and up the ante.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 06-12-2002, 12:29 PM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Yikes!

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
These are (mostly) good ideas. Keep them coming.

As for the "table dance," Larry, that is an EXCELLENT idea. With the size bikini briefs I'd have to wear, to fill them should set the club up for years and years to come.

Meanwhile, while the "official club" will be helping support the Network Forums, the Forums and the "Official Club" will be two different entities. The Forums will continue as they are, free for all, unless Chris decides differently.
I think (judging by Larry(!!!)'s discription of you, that I would gladly pay $30.00 to see you NOT do a table dance.... anyone else!!!
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 06-12-2002, 12:40 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Yikes!

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncamitzi

I think (judging by Larry(!!!)'s discription of you, that I would gladly pay $30.00 to see you NOT do a table dance.... anyone else!!!

SOLD!

Send your donation to the address on the appeals notice.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 06-12-2002, 12:56 PM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Yikes!

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

SOLD!

Send your donation to the address on the appeals notice.
Paid!!!!!

Thanks....now I have to try to get rid of the visual that I created in my mind
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 06-12-2002, 02:13 PM
sith

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryIII
Seriously,

One thing I would like to see is a complete set of shop manuals from '92 thru '97 ready to be scanned into computer and available to all members who have their dues paid. I have '92 manuals plus a '97 supplement available to be scanned. I'm sure others have 93, 94, 95, & 96 supplements that they can make avaiable. I think that the hard part is getting the non-USA or North American manuals for scanning.

This is something I've thought about doing for a while, the problem is that... Subaru probably would see this as one of the times to send a nasty letter from their lawyer. They may not care too much about posting brochures and such, but posting a $150 copywritten document probably wouldn't be cool with them (assuming the found out). I'm not sure it's a position that the club wants to be put into.

That said, I'm trying to work the proper channels at subaru to find out about getting authorized to do this. So far they haven't replied to my calls/emails. Jerks.

-Colin
Old 06-12-2002, 02:19 PM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by sith

This is something I've thought about doing for a while, the problem is that... Subaru probably would see this as one of the times to send a nasty letter from their lawyer. They may not care too much about posting brochures and such, but posting a $150 copywritten document probably wouldn't be cool with them (assuming the found out). I'm not sure it's a position that the club wants to be put into.

That said, I'm trying to work the proper channels at subaru to find out about getting authorized to do this. So far they haven't replied to my calls/emails. Jerks.

-Colin
haha... not too responsive are they... GM will respond with a "No." in 2-3 hours.

-Mike

(really down on subaru, but at least they make some lovable cars.)
Old 06-12-2002, 02:43 PM

how about a club mascot???

ooo ooo ooo...can i be it????

the purple lighting chickie (that one is for you Brian)
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 06-12-2002, 04:13 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Zeppelin Send a message via AIM to Zeppelin Send a message via Yahoo to Zeppelin
Quote:
Originally posted by SHISVX
the purple lighting chickie

You forgot dwarf....

http://stickyvinylgraphics.com/
Old 06-12-2002, 05:09 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Re: Yikes!

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncamitzi

Agreed! I think Larry's missing the big picture - at least he was wearing them and not holding them in his hand.
Old 06-12-2002, 05:47 PM

Smile LOL

Quote:
the purple lighting chickie (that one is for you Brian)
He he he How ya doin' chickie?
B.C.
Old 06-12-2002, 05:53 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Copywrong

Quote:
Originally posted by sith

-Colin
Sith, I came up with this point before, and Randy replied along the lines he would not be too bothered about Subaru's sensitivities, as they had not supported all the people who had tranny trouble with the cars.

In a fair play tribunal, this attitude would merit support, and be seen as reasonable justification.

In an actual court of law, no matter the presumption of justification, it would be immediately deemed as infringement of intellectual property rights.

For all that Subaru, or any manufacturer, could claim copyright on an image such as contained in a brochure, no lawyer or company is going to sue for dissemination of these images over a website or by fax say. This is because by publishing it, you are actually aiding the purpose for which the brochure was designed, to promote the company and the product. No judge would see otherwise.

Publishing technical information produced by the company, while the company is still selling that information, is a whole new ballgame. I would urge caution here, it could turn out to be a case of "Publish, and be damned"

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 06-12-2002, 06:51 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by RSVX

OOH OOH OOH ...
Sounds more like ARNOLD HORSHAK than Ponzi .

Larry III