Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-29-2008, 10:00 AM
svxless

Registered SVX
inner tie rods

my alignment is off pretty badly and i took my car in to a place called Ron's Garage to have it fixed (i had recieved a coupon in the mail to have the alignment fixed for $60) but when i got in there he told me the alignment could not be fixed until my inner tie rods were replaced. and then he proceeded to tell me that instead of paying $60 for the alignment it would run me around $300+ for the inner tie rod replacements and alignment

my question is, would it be better for me to do the inner tie rods myself, or is that something i should let a specified person do (my option there would probably be the subaru dealership in Bellevue, NE; the mechanic there is an SVX owner himself)

1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 126k "BXR6" Sold 3/23/13
1992 LS-L Claret 178k totaled 10/26/09

1987 BMW 325is

60% of the time it works, every time
Old 05-29-2008, 10:17 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
I don't know Ron, or anything about your car, but is it possible that everyone that takes Ron a coupon needs parts?

Don't get me wrong, the inner tie rods do go bad on these after all these years. But I would be suspicious...

Also, around here $60 isn't even that good of a price for an alignment.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:19 AM
svxless

Registered SVX
[QUOTE=Hocrest;549489]I don't know Ron, or anything about your car, but is it possible that everyone that takes Ron a coupon needs parts?
QUOTE]

you know, i kinda wondered that myself
he claimed he told me the first time i was in that my tie rods were going bad and should be replaced soon...but idr that
i guess that could just be their way of making money

1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 126k "BXR6" Sold 3/23/13
1992 LS-L Claret 178k totaled 10/26/09

1987 BMW 325is

60% of the time it works, every time
Old 05-29-2008, 10:51 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
[QUOTE=tiv0;549490]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest View Post
I don't know Ron, or anything about your car, but is it possible that everyone that takes Ron a coupon needs parts?
QUOTE]

you know, i kinda wondered that myself
he claimed he told me the first time i was in that my tie rods were going bad and should be replaced soon...but idr that
i guess that could just be their way of making money
Yeah I went to a local shop to get an alignment but contiuned to tell me how my Steering rack was leaking and how much it would cost to fix it. I promptly paid them the 27.00 for moving my car and what not I looked myself Failed to see a leak. Now my car leaks oil like no tomorrow but I havent seen a leak like that. I am gonig to do the alignment myself as there was something posted here about how to do it yourself (Here or NASIOC).

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 05-29-2008, 11:40 AM
Tech & Almost Lawyer

IMHO, DIY alignments are worthless. I once worked for a guy (quite a while ago) whose alignment machine consisted of 4 aluminum brackets, 1 per wheel, and fishing line. Needless to say he sold a good deal more tires than the local population should have been supporting.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:58 PM

Getting ripped of...

Ripped off is routine at mechanics shops. For people with a mechanical aptitude, reasoning ability, gathering information from this form gets us through just about any problem.
However, trying to to do a wheel alignment is not on my list.

I took my SVX to Renton Subaru in Renton Washington for a alignment.
They offered a lifetime guarantee for about $120.00.
I try to get as many things on our car guaranteed for life as possible. If there is a day that I am not around and my wife is, I want things to be as easy as possible.

After a careful professional diagnosis , I was informed that it couldn't be aligned because the ball joints were so bad. That would cost me $1,200.00 so i went to plan "B".

Plan "B"... purchase the ball joints wholesale from another dealer, (this dealer does not do alignments, in case you are wondering why I went to Renton Subaru in the first place) and install then myself.
I paid about $80 each I think but not sure... Has been a while.
One ball joint was totally tight and the other one had a little but hardly detectable looseness.
In other words, a scam!

I changed them both in a total of about an hour and with only a floor jack in my crowded garage.

Took it back and got the "lifetime alignment"!!!

My car seemed to be pulling slightly to the left, probably needed tires rotated, but why not take it in to Renton Subaru to make sure the alignment is good?

So, off to Renton Subaru for the second of my lifetime guaranteed alignments! I pretty much know the people that run the place, but I happened to get one that didn't know that I can do all the necessary repairs on my car...

I will be 78 years old this coming June and easily fall prey to crooked folks.

I was greeted warmly and had a sheet pushed in front of me that said it was necessary for me to get the $200.00 Maintenance thingie because I hadn't been in for a while.

I went over the list and explained that I actually do all that myself. I reiterated that I was here for the lifetime guarantee alignment. He responded that they would just do an alignment check... But that was $55.00 with taxes. The lifetime guarantee covered turning the alignment bolt but did not cover checking to see how far to turn the alignment bolt.

I am an easy going person, but the ensuing conversation drew a crowd.

He took off the $55.00 and ended up no charge. They kept me there for a couple of hours and finally, after expert diagnosis, determined that my frame was bent, assuming he was referring to the car's frame.(of course it isn't... car has never been in a wreck) On second thought, he might have been referring to me, my frame???

A few years back his frame might have been bent!

I got the tires rotated at Costco, a great company, and everything is great.

I think about my wife if I wasn't around to help her and her trip to Renton Subaru, or frankly just about any other place. She wouldn't know how to handle the scams.
I am so blessed!

I suggested that all you people.. don't be afraid to try to learn. Willing to try is a great start!

Keith... in case you didn't catch the name, it is Renton Subaru...in Renton Washington

Last edited by kwren; 05-29-2008 at 01:07 PM. Reason: spelling (of course) LOL
Old 05-29-2008, 09:49 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX
My all wheel alignment cost me 60$ at work Stuckey Subaru in Hollidaysburg. They also do a full check on everything free like brakes,rotors,leaks and others. One thing I thought was funny was at the time I had a bad valve cover leak and they wrote on the report leaking oil but don't know where ( it was obvious by the oil all over the covers). Plus if they would EVER scam me, I would walk 10 feet to the shop and raise hell.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 05-30-2008, 08:15 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
I get my alignements done for free, but that's because I work in a shop that does alignements. There's no reason one can't be done with some small play in the inner tie rod ends. Mine both have play, and the car lined up fine. If your car is towed out 1+ degree and has all sorts of wonky camber issues, an alignement, even with play in the inner tie rods, will sort most of that out.

Changing the inners is a bit of a pain. Not hard, but you want to have the right tools to do it. Ideally an inner tie rod replacement tool, but at least a big crows foot socket that fits. You should probably replace the boots while you're at it.

subaruparts.com lists inners for something like $40 each, and another $40 each for the boot kits.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl