Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum

Old 02-13-2007, 02:14 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Nobody Send a message via MSN to Nobody
ATF Question

Hi, I have a dilema. Wanna change my ATF (Valvoline) and thinking to go for fully synthetic Mobile1 SHC. Tranny was rebuild 15k kms, 3 yrs ago. Cooler intalled. Question is what will happen:-). Our market here is not so developed as for servicing AT so can not rely on proffesional flush. I can only drain it and refill. There are too many questions, what will happen mixing existing and fully synthetic, what will happen to sealings, internal and external leaks...
Does any of you tried it?
Thanx for any ideas...
Petr
Old 02-13-2007, 03:57 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody
Hi, I have a dilema. Wanna change my ATF (Valvoline) and thinking to go for fully synthetic Mobile1 SHC. Tranny was rebuild 15k kms, 3 yrs ago. Cooler intalled. Question is what will happen:-). Our market here is not so developed as for servicing AT so can not rely on proffesional flush. I can only drain it and refill. There are too many questions, what will happen mixing existing and fully synthetic, what will happen to sealings, internal and external leaks...
Does any of you tried it?
Thanx for any ideas...
Petr
Petr

If you use good high quality fully synthetic it will not "wear out" and the amount that remains in your transmission will be an OK mix with the new fill.
That is assuming you change the oil at one year intervals.

I'm presuming your question relates to the amount of the old Valvoline that you leave in your transmission when you change over to Mobile 1, and this Valvoline is not fully synthetic?

Even a professional flush will not get all the old oil out of a box. It should not make a lot of difference the small amount of old oil mixing with the new. Make sure the gearbox is plenty hot when you drain it, that will help.

Your best bet for a good clean-out is to fill initially with Mobile 1, and do the first oil change in 6 months. This will leave very little of the Valvoline in the gearbox after the second fill.

Thereafter, you need only change once a year, or less, because the fully synth lasts longer. If you also have fitted the additional cooler, your oil won't be overheating, and changes every year or 18 months would be the correct normal interval in that case.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-13-2007, 06:43 AM

Hi Joe, as I am not driving it too much it is first change after 3 yrs, but only 15 000 kms made on Valvoline. It is not synthetic. I got very good price from Mobile so question is go or not go, price does not matter (in case there will not be tranny rebuild needed:-)). Mobile 1 SHC is the highest quality fully synthetic ATF which I found on our market.... I have confirmation from Mibile tech support it should be OK, but who knows...
Thanx, Petr
Old 02-13-2007, 07:14 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
If you got a good price on it Petr, go with it, it is certainly good stuff.

ONE point to bear in mind is the possibility of leaks. Fully synthetic of any kind will leak past seals much easier than an organic oil will.

If your car has operated for a long time with an organic oil, and is not leaking, and is not burning the oil, you might save yourself time and trouble to stick with what the manual recommends, Dexron 11 grade, I think it is.

For some reason, fully synth seems to get past seals that are old and possibly hardening from heat. I'm not sure why this is the case, but it's a fact. If you ask the gearbox builders, you will find them quite nervous of a change to synthetic after a lot of kilometres are driven.

For your low miles and infrequent use, you might actually be better off with the standard ATF. If you were towing a race car with it, or racing hill-climbs, or doing track days, then Mobil 1 without question is the best protection.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-13-2007, 08:17 AM

Thats exactly I have to solve. Even it was rebuild 3 yrs ago with low kms on it I do not know how seals are doing. I do not want to solve leaks and end with more problems than I have now:-). All guys around pushing me to stay with "normal" ATF Subaru reccomends (Castrol here). It is right I do not drive it much, rather on weekends and just for easy ride and fun, no hard driving. I have installed external cooler so it is insured somehow...
Anyway I have one spare AT and ready to buy second one from friend who swapped to 5sp.:-)
Petr

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: